Good for a menu del dia?

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Cat65
Andalucia.com Amigo

Good for a menu del dia?

Postby Cat65 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:02 pm

We have found out that a couple we know are gonna be up the road in Elvira(north of Marbella?) whilst we are south of Estepona...could you please recommend a good place to meet for a siesta a reasonably priced and tasty menu del dia somewhere in between? I've been in Estepona but only around the promenade and our friends dno't know Marbella well(I've never been there)
Ta muchley
Cat x
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."holy *beep*..what a ride!"

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Good for a menu del dia?

Postby julian » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:04 pm

you´re going to meet for a siesta ???? :?

Cat65
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cat65 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:25 pm

I know :lol: ...we could meet at night I guess the suggestion has been a menu del dia somewhere...our kids aren't used to the local lifestyle but it's more about our son with medical issues he has a compulsion/need to be in his bed by a certain time (autistic spectrum) Iguess if we lived in Spain he'd get used to it...maybe :crazy:
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."holy *beep*..what a ride!"

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Cat, if you're south of Estepona you're in the sea, Elviria is east of Marbella, you might want to consult a map or invest in a Gps system, either way there's only about 30 kilometres seperating you, I can recommend Toni Dalli's in Marbella but don't expect Menu del dia !! you will though get a fabulous lunch, Toni might even serenade you !!
Ah! the full english!!

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 am

I don´t get the fascination with Dali´s places, extremely overpriced and just average quality :thumbdown:

Plenty of places to eat in central Marbella, just drive in and park in the underground carpark in the middle and wander around. If you stay away from the tourist looking places and ideally one line back from the sea then there are hundreds of menu del dia type places

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:00 pm

"el capitan" opposite el fuerte hotel in the centre do an excellent menu del dia for 9 euros.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:38 pm

We called at Toni Dali's once on the way to somewhere else as we heard it was nice. It was empty and we asked if we could sit and have a drink on the terrace. They looked at us as if we were something you scrape off the bottom of your shoe. Never went back.

On the other hand... the other Tony Daley, who played for Aston villa and once for Ingerland, was a real gent.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 pm

After reading this thread, I wonder if Cat65 knows what a "siesta" is.

I apologize in advance if I have misread things.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:51 am

Been visitng Toni Dalli's for twenty years, always a warm welcome and great service, perhaps they have an inbuilt instinct that allows them to spot Menu del dia types 8)

On the other hand if menu del dia is your thing then you're not gonna be comfortable in a place like Dalli's, personally I have to say that one of the best restaurants ever in Banus was Silks owned by an old friend of mine (now it's Khans) that was some restaurant, I once had the experience of peeing at the same time as Rod Stewart and he autographed my napkin (not at the same time) still have it somewhere, those were the days before Banus was taken over by the lowlifes !!
Ah! the full english!!

Cat65
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cat65 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks for your replies guys...I did look at El Capitan but we never got there.
I do know what a "siesta" is but we also have something to eat during siesta..no not sleep eating but between 2 & 5pm!!!
We did eat in Estepona with our friends in Plaza de las Flores at Meson Cordobes and it was wonderful!
We also ate out in an evening at Puerto De La Duquesa at "The Mexican" excellent food & service!..we all loved the atmosphere with all the craft market stalls :D
cheers
Cat x

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 pm

cool, what price was the menu del dia ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 am

Hey Retro. I see Rod is to become a dad again at the age of 65.

Re our attempt at getting a drink at Dali's. I expect my less than sartorial appearance put them off.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:14 am

"Been visitng Toni Dalli's for twenty years, always a warm welcome and great service"

shame about the food though.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Julian, I have never had a bad meal in Toni Dalli's, always very good and sometimes bordering on wonderful, maybe you ate at the sons place piace, I have eaten all over the world, some good some bad, the States is probably where I've eaten the worst and Beirut the best, but Toni Dallis is for me one of the best around Marbella along with Francis Butlers old place, perhaps you'd be more at home in a menu del dia place ??
Ah! the full english!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm

silks was always good food, but Dalli´s (dad´s place ) was always just a show, there used to be a standing joke here about having to eat before you went for dinner there !!

actually I do feel fo comfortable eating a menu del dia rather than have someone singing in my ear while I´m trying to swollow my food !!!
Last edited by julian on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Retro P wrote:Been visitng Toni Dalli's for twenty years, always a warm welcome and great service, perhaps they have an inbuilt instinct that allows them to spot Menu del dia types 8)
..or maybe an inbuilt instinct of which suckers they know they can rip off! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Don't know about being ripped off, I've never felt that way, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for, I personally wouldn't want to eat a menu del dia, I wouldn't trust the food to be fresh especially at some of the ridiculous prices quoted.
Having said that of course some of us have different standards and deeper pockets so some of us may chose to pay more than others.
Ah! the full english!!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Retro P wrote:Don't know about being ripped off, I've never felt that way, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for,
You dont always get what you pay for Retro. These days (and probably way before my time also), there are many people trying to overcharge, thinking they can get away with it. Thankfully, in my experience, speaking the language, I am always able to fight my corner, and pay the correct price, not the price they think they can get away with! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 pm

I do !!
Ah! the full english!!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Hmmm, the punters at the Fat Duck restaurant got what they paid for........namely the squits :lol:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.