Probably the best restaurant we've ever visited in Spain

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Probably the best restaurant we've ever visited in Spain

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 12, 2013 11:18 am

Not just for the food but the atmosphere and great hosts.....deserves a mention.

We decided to have a couple of nights in Ronda on our recent trip. We were walking around the town one night with our friends trying to make a decision of where to go........we were being beckoned by many waiters to come inside and we swotted quite a few menus...........by chance we went into a smallish place called "Puerta Grande" purely by luck.

It was empty and this was half eight.....I admit I was worried about about this and said I'd like to give it a miss.........but OH and friends were not for more walking :mrgreen:

Glad they didn't, we ordered drinks and the banter with the staff (one of whome we found out was the owner) began, really good guys with terrific sense of fun. By now we were on starters and the place never had a table left...simply full...........and the laughing between the tables and the staff was superb.
One waiter realised that the bloke who was with us knew a bit about wine so started bringing out all sorts of wine related gizmos for him to try...........he was messing about with one after the other, c0cking most of it up.......then the other tables wanted to get in on the act.............really good and pleasant crack for a change.

So on to the food............I went for the Suckling Pig which was simply stunning and impossible to recreate at home (something I like when I'm out), OH had the most stunning Venison in this fruit sauce I've ever tasted..............the banter was still going on around the place and when the meals were put in front of us the guy asks if all looks well.........I said "no rubbish" and he flies off to the kitchen............he comes running back wielding a huge baseball bat...........aims straight for me then "twists" the top and says "Pepper?"...........it brought the house down.

Fabulous night, outstanding food and all round star people............I just have to post about it, not something I normally do.

150e is a steal for 4 people for such a bloody good night.

Only downside was.............we left and ended up in a bar with the best and most unusual Tapas I've ever seen.............but we were all too stuffed to even consider it.

Puerta Grande Ronda :thumbup:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Probably the best restaurant we've ever visited in Spain

Postby frank » Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I know where it is, not sure if we eat there or the one next door, lots in that street.
Out of interest, where did you stay? Parador? :thumbup: It's nearly always full.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Hiya Frank, yes it was hard to choose in that street......wall to wall restaurants.........it's the street with the wooden boards under foot if we're talking the same one.

We stayed in the Hotel Royal. 45e for a double,spotlessly clean, good shower/bath/bog/aircon etc and overlooking a park/paseo............about 100 metres from the Plaza de Toros and 50 metres from the underground car park.

Great town to explore as everything is easily findable and easy walking distances...........enjoyed it more than the Moroccan trip we usually do at that time of year.

Cheers

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Hiya Frank, yes it was hard to choose in that street......wall to wall restaurants.........it's the street with the wooden boards under foot if we're talking the same one.

We stayed in the Hotel Royal. 45e for a double,spotlessly clean, good shower/bath/bog/aircon etc and overlooking a park/paseo............about 100 metres from the Plaza de Toros and 50 metres from the underground car park.

Great town to explore as everything is easily findable and easy walking distances...........enjoyed it more than the Moroccan trip we usually do at that time of year.

Cheers
Yes, we like Ronda, have been most years, for many years now. We have stayed right down by the old Roman bridge twice (long time ago), Hotel Alavera de los Baños, http://www.alaveradelosbanos.com/ but we usually stay outside in the campo. €45, es una ganga! Know where you are, just around the corner from Hotel Polo on the main drag, as you say, handy for the parking. Just booked up a hotel for twice that, we've stayed twice before and we know it's nice, so spoil ourselves, why not. :P
Regards, Frank

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Nice one Frank,enjoy it :thumbup:
I was surprised to get such a decent and centrally placed hotel for such little money, as I say it was so fresh,clean and decent. I think not having bar and restaurant facilities stops it charging more........but in a Town like Ronda you don't need it.

The history and the sight of the interior of the Plaza de Toros was my highlight....some serious history there. OH was not keen on El Tajo though :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Nice one Frank,enjoy it :thumbup:
I was surprised to get such a decent and centrally placed hotel for such little money, as I say it was so fresh,clean and decent. I think not having bar and restaurant facilities stops it charging more........but in a Town like Ronda you don't need it.

The history and the sight of the interior of the Plaza de Toros was my highlight....some serious history there. OH was not keen on El Tajo though :lol:
Yes, done the Plaza de Toros, always amazes me how tiny some of the matadors suits are! My wife disowns me when it comes to the Tajo Gorge, I have to drive down (old cobbled Roman road), find somewhere to park and then start climbing up to take photos! Can't remember the name now, but on the other side there is an old palace type building where you go down, seemingly forever, and end up right at the bottom of the gorge. The highlight for me was watching the horse drawn carriages, the guy stops it in the same place, gets out his bucket and the horse duly fills it up for him! Better trained than me that horse! :lolno: We stay here,http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... lucia.html about 10-15 minutes outside town, the owners Eli and Pablo are great people, great hosts. If you haven't done it, do the drive to Grazalema, then up over Puerta de las Palomas (supposedly the highest drivable pass in Andalucia) then wind your way down to Zahara and back past the lakes to Ronda. Spectacular drive. Both Zahara and Grazalema are worth stopping in for a wander around and take a drink.
Regards, Frank

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun May 12, 2013 9:17 pm

frank wrote:The highlight for me was watching the horse drawn carriages, the guy stops it in the same place, gets out his bucket and the horse duly fills it up for him!
I feel sorry for the horses, the rio Guadalevín has long had the reputation for the dumping of raw sewage.

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Isn't it Puerto de las Palomas?

belindamc
Tourist

Postby belindamc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Sounds good
Might give it a try and report back :D

BlackiesDad

Postby BlackiesDad » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:00 pm

It might seem silly but can youremember the name of the bar with the unusual tapas you found? Any other good tapas bars?