Fuengirola - Fish Alley

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Marcus Brutus

Fuengirola - Fish Alley

Postby Marcus Brutus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello Andalucia forum members

I am visiting Fuengirola for the first time on a short golfing trip at the end of the month. I have been reading through this forum and also Trip Advisor looking for places to eat serving traditional Spanish Fayre, especially fresh fish. I have seen many mentions of "Fish Alley" which I guess is a particular street or area with a high concentration of fish restaurants. Can someone please tell me where abouts fish alley is?
Will everywhere be open at this time of year? I normally ho;iday in Mallorca in a resort that all but shuts down for winter do most places stay open in winter on the Costa del Sol?
We are staying at Las Palmeras Hotel which appears to be pretty central so any suggestions for eating out on fresh seafood would be great, along with ideas on late night bars that play live music, all within walking distance from the hotel.

Thanks in advance
Marcus Brutus :mrgreen:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Fuengirola - Fish Alley

Postby katy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Don Pe is about the best, not cheap. Moochers is good too. Irish run, great pancakes. Their red cabbage as a side is good. Plenty of others and usually lively in winter too. There is a good Thai, a Chinese, a steak house and the usual Spanish ones. You are within walking distance. Look for the Hotel Puerto on the sea front and walk up the side alley.

Just one warning, if you sit outside you will be pestered by every chance, c rap buskers, lucky men, Chinese toy sellers etc. Disgraceful, time they cleared it up!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 am

As you walk along the seafront from your hotel the sea is on your left keep walking past fish alley and the 2nd Chiringuito is excellent for fresh fish. Open all year as well. Also if you turn up the side street by the london pub there is an excellent Argentinian steak house on the r h side at the top. Be careful in fish alley very late at night when it all goes quiet. Lots of muggings in the early hours, normally drunk golfers pi==ed at 3 in the morning not having there wits about them.

Marcus Brutus

Postby Marcus Brutus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the warnings; wandering back at 3am worse for wear - sounds about par for the course!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:38 am

The London pub is the most dodgy area.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 am

El Chipiron - on the road to the side of the National Police station. Unprepossessing, few in there before 9pm, excellent fish and seafood.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 pm

The London pub may be dodgey but its on the seafront so always people around. Fish Alley at 2am is a muggers paradise

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm

You would be surprised how many visiting Golfers a our club who had been robbed had a common denominator...they had been in the London pub. I imagine the victims are targeted leaving there and followed.

Marcus Brutus

Postby Marcus Brutus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Sorry Guys - I might be being a thick here but I still don't know which street or area is "Fish Alley"!

Marcus Brutus

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Walk along the sea front until you see the entrance to the Port. Cross the road and take the first left. You will be in that area. Guestimate 5 or 10 mins from your hotel. Though it's just a name, not really renowned for it's fish. Still some good food there!

Marcus Brutus

Postby Marcus Brutus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Cheers katy

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Marcus Brutus wrote:Sorry Guys - I might be being a thick here but I still don't know which street or area is "Fish Alley"! Marcus Brutus
The correct name is Calle Moncayo.

At the end of Calle Moncayo furthest away from the port is a good pub called the Dolphin. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and amazingly the Cisne Chinese restaurant opposite the Dolphin has now gone. Apparently the woman who ran it for 17 years retired, I gather the family have a Chinese shop in Torremolinos. Another nice pub in that area was the Toucan, bit pricey though.

A popular eating place for golfers is/was the Argentinian restaurant called Estilo Campo diagonally across from the Dolphin. You need to be a real carnivore to eat there!