El Pimpi, Malaga

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

El Pimpi, Malaga

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:38 pm

When we are in Malaga for the day we thought about walking up to El Pimpi for lunch. Apparently it's a bit of a Malaga institution. It's either there or go round to the east and find a fish place.

What do you thinK?

scotty
Resident

Re: El Pimpi, Malaga

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Pimpi . . . . . :wink:

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:52 pm

El Pimpi. You can get fish everywhere!
AlisonB

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Or try El Tintero on the beach at El Palo east of malaga. €1.50 on the bus from the port and stops outside the restaurant. Well worth a visit.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Yes, for fish it's great. But we've just driven past (about 10pm) and it was dead. Don't know if it normally opens Monday - possibly not. El Pimpi was packed
AlisonB

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 am

10 years ago El Pimpi was a student hangout with cheap food and drinks. Fantastic atmosphere at weekends. They have now quadrupled the size and turned into a tourist hotspot. Still great but the prices are much higher. Would recommend still but a glass of red wine last week was €2.50
I know they have to get a return on there investment but it has lost some of its charm although still plenty of Spaniards sitting inside when we called in last week.

El Tintero is better at lunch time in the winter.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am

costakid wrote: Would recommend still but a glass of red wine last week was €2.50
I know they have to get a return on there investment but it has lost some of its charm although still plenty of Spaniards sitting inside when we called in last week.
€2.50 :clap: is that all ? As my 93 year old mammy says " you pay for the bouquet" :thumbup: . The atmosphere there is great, so you can't beat that. By the way a glass of red wine in Dublin will cost you €5.50 :crazy: .

Cristopher_55

Postby Cristopher_55 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:56 pm

all of the "Chiringuitos" in the seefront are really good. But is true that the prices sometimes are a bit expensive :?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:08 pm

El Pimpi is a Malaga institution and worth a visit just for the experience, in my opinion €2.50 for a glass of wine is a gift and no I'm not rich or financially reckless, just pragmatic € 2.50 is nothing !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:26 am

Manchesteral wrote: in my opinion €2.50 for a glass of wine is a gift and no I'm not rich or financially reckless, just pragmatic € 2.50 is nothing !
When the bar pays 2.50€ for the bottle, charging that for a glass is simply extortionate IMHO, unless of course you keep the glass!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scotty
Resident

Dear God protect us from Whinging customers.

Postby scotty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:45 pm

peteroldracer wrote: When the bar pays 2.50€ for the bottle, charging that for a glass is simply extortionate IMHO, unless of course you keep the glass!
For crying out loud. It's no wonder the Australians call Brits "Whinging Poms" :crazy:
The bar owner needs to pay wages,Insurance, rent, rates, tax, electricity, gas etc etc before he takes PROFIT. Cop on and stop moaning or stay at home and drink the wine at €2.50 a bottle. :roll:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:00 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
Manchesteral wrote: in my opinion €2.50 for a glass of wine is a gift and no I'm not rich or financially reckless, just pragmatic € 2.50 is nothing !
When the bar pays 2.50€ for the bottle, charging that for a glass is simply extortionate IMHO, unless of course you keep the glass!
You may think it is extortionate but every restaurant I know that has a €10 bottle of house wine on offer never pays more than €2.50 for it.

You normally get 4 glasses to a bottle so that's €2.50

Extortionate, possibly - normal, yes.

Sid

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:33 pm

2.50 a glass, but a damn fine glass and a lovely bowl of olives. I was in last Sunday evening and the atmosphere was brilliant. I'd go back for sure.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Had pretty dire food here.(fish) (steak) Looks like a place for drinks and nibbles from what we saw. Certainly wont return to this tourist trap

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Personally I prefer "Los Gatos" not far from there ....

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Los Gatos is excellent

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Well we did go. It was raining and after we had walked up the Alcazaba, we called there and had a nice coffee. I thought the interior was very nice

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 pm

scotty wrote:
costakid wrote: Would recommend still but a glass of red wine last week was €2.50
€2.50 :clap: is that all ? As my 93 year old mammy says " you pay for the bouquet" :thumbup: . The atmosphere there is great, so you can't beat that. By the way a glass of red wine in Dublin will cost you €5.50 :crazy: .
In my local (decent bar) a glass of decent red wine will cost you the astronomical sum of €2.00 !!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Not been in El Pimpi for a while, last time I was there, 6/7 years ago it had been "Touristisized" still worth a trip though just for the atmosphere !!

scs3jb
Tourist

Postby scs3jb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Very expensive but they've expanded, they now how the bar and the fish restaurants. This isn't 'small' anymore or for cheaper crowd like it was <2008. For visitors its great, but yes drinks and food you are paying for Antonio Banderas pictures and an institution.

If you've never been and are in town, go once. Nice views from the terrace, and nice inside. Living locally, I will only ever take visitors there and we had a team building event there. The company i worked for brought new starters there for an evening meal once a month.
CielodeCadiz wrote:Personally I prefer "Los Gatos" not far from there ....
Yeah, thumbs up on that! That's on Plaza Uncibay.

I prefer Meson de Cervantes for a meal: https://goo.gl/maps/GPSLWUpUxgT2 which gets really busy around 9pm, and if you are up for booking and having a full Spanish experience for lunch, Restaurante Miguel is wonderful food https://goo.gl/maps/xneZX6grjWz . For the latter, check online.

For general eateries:
Citron is superb. More modern plates and really good quality. This is on Plaza Merced.
Samarkanda is a wonderful lebanese restaurant, but you have to wake the owner to get any drinks/food. Nice fellow, he's just not paying attention. I like the Tabouli and the Pastela de Pollo. This is literally round the corner from Los Gatos. It can either be deadly quiet, or excessively busy.
Los Patios de Beatas. Wine and nibbles, good selection of wines.