New Indian Torrox

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

New Indian Torrox

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:37 pm

On the N340, on the left, Penoncillo Beach area i.e. heading towards Nerja, Masalla House 13 to 16.30 and 18.30 to 23.30. Pretty standard menu but very good.
Some familiar 'Light of India' faces too.
Only about 30 covers unless the conservatory in use and was comfortably busy on last Tuesday evening when we visited so booking might be an idea. 952 53 0921.
Just a satisfied patron.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: New Indian Torrox

Postby ebbnflow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Lyric,

Do you know who the chef(s) is/are? i.e. from the Light Of India or different?

Just a curious curry scoffer :wink:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Now I don't know the English blokes name, same chap as LoI, but he told us that it was the 'second chef' from the Light.
I thought the Light was OK in it's El Faro location but when it moved to the wooden palace at Laguna Beach and started with the 'fill your face for 10' or whatever I felt that, while the first courses were excellent the mains suffered and I (we) didn't enjoy them.
When we try a new Indian we always have the same order first to compare and it passed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Out of interest, what is your "test" order? I am going there on Wednesday.

Sid

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Ahhhh OK, thanks for that. I agree with your comments but thought LOI went downhill in its old location too.
If the chef has pulled the standards back up it should be alright.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:31 pm

We always share a Sheek Kebab to start and Senior Management then has a Chicken Tikka Sag, Tikka is usually not offered but is her preference, less dry than is normal and Madras hot please !
I have a CT Jalfrezi.We share Pillau rice and a Nan, usually plain but there was 'Onion Nan' on the menu which we liked the sound of and it was very good.
I don't think it is a particularly searching choice but it serves as some do screw it up.
To put some perspective on our taste our all time favourite in the area is The Taste of India, we just can't be bothered with Nerja.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for that. I will give my opinion after my visit.

I thought the LOI was very good when it started, but went downhill later.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Will be intrested, Ambiance and comfort were fine - don't fall off the stage !

Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pete'nKim » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm practising my curry cooking before we come to live next year. We're Brummies and have had a lifetime of being spoilt with curries. Couldn't cope without chicken or lamb madras or a spicy Korma.
My home made isn't bad but I do know that finding some ingredients may be difficult (I cheat and use Pataks paste sometimes, which is great).

Perhaps a curry club is something I should start up when we're settled as way of meeting people and sharing ideas?
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm

All ingredients can be found in street markets. Torre del Mar, La Caleta, Almuñecar to name but three.
Dave

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:03 pm

We also have tried the Masala restaurant and found it to be good. My OH always has a tikka chicken main dish with a side order of tikka masala sauce which they managed to do without any fuss, and it was all very tasty. I like a veggie korma and my test is to have fresh chunks of veg, not frozen mush which I have been given before, and that also passed.
Pete'nKim wrote:I'm practising my curry cooking before we come to live next year. We're Brummies and have had a lifetime of being spoilt with curries. Couldn't cope without chicken or lamb madras or a spicy Korma.
My home made isn't bad but I do know that finding some ingredients may be difficult (I cheat and use Pataks paste sometimes, which is great).
Spicy korma :shock: .... that's new one .... I don't like chilli which is why I always have the korma (thankfully mild :thumbup: ). Pete there's no difficulty getting ingredients here nowadays and I even buy fresh coriander regularly from either Eroski or Mercadona, which used to be so difficult to source a few years back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Mowser wrote:All ingredients can be found in street markets. Torre del Mar, La Caleta, Almuñecar to name but three.
Iranzo in Nerja probably has the best spice range available, but even then some ingredients are difficult to find.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I manage to find most spices the only thing I have difficulty with, without growing them, is green chillies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Had lunch at Masala House today.

Excellent meal. Starters really good and mains all tasted sufficiently different even though they clearly use the same base sauce for some dishes (like most Indian restaurants). There is no Menu del Dia as such but when we got the bill they had only charged €6 for the chicken dishes and €7 for lamb but that includes rice or bread of your choice. They also sell wine by the glass at a special price of €1 a glass at lunchtime which is cheaper than buying a bottle.

I would rate it equal or better than the other local Indian restaurants, especially good value for lunch but average priced in the evening. Coffee poor but we were given it free.

Worth a visit.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:33 pm

My wife and I also lunched thee today, didn't see you there unless you were in disguise.
Food good but the waitress kept apologising as it was only her second day there.
Eat in the outside area but seemed somehow to lack ambience.
Prefer, in some ways, the Koh-i-Noor particularly the large free brandies after the meal.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:54 pm

We ate inside - a bit cosier at this time of year!

Yes, the waitress struggled a bit but was very helpful. The owner seems a nice guy with two lovely little children.

We must try the Koh-I-Noor again to make a comparison. We went there in the summer and it showed promise but we haven't been back. It's good to have so much choice in the same area.

How do you rate the Nerja Indian restaurants in comparison?

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:03 pm

I was talking to the owner.
He said he had been a customer at the Light of India before it moved,before the chef left and before it went downhill. He told the chef that if ever he opened a restaurant he wanted the chef to work for him.
Guess who's the chef at the Masala House? :think:
Haven't tried any of the Nerja Indian restaurants yet.
Went to Thelma's Kitchen on your side of Nerja a few years ago.
It was run by Thelma who did all the cooking in a tiny kitchen area in the corner of the small restaurant.
All the food was Goan as that is were she came from.
Excellent food and cooked exactly as the customers requested.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:11 pm

What was the big Indian that opened in Nerja 3 maybe 4 years ago. It was in the road that leads to the park area with wall to wall restaurants and steps down to the playa, jeez can't think of the roads name.

Anyhow it was huge, you walked downstairs from the bar into a massive and nicely decorated eating area. The owner was a bit of a lad and looked like a Bollywood gangster :mrgreen: Food was authentic and bloody fabulous quality we thought...........but it was shut when we went back 6 months later never to open again.

We keep on trying to identify exactly where it was as it's all changed on the outside now. Any ideas?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:26 pm

I can't remember the name of it, but it was on Av. Castilla Perez. We never got the chance to try it as it was gone so quickly. I think those premises must be jinxed as there have been lots of restaurants in different incarnations, but they never seem to last!

By the way, a bit off topic but people might like to know a Japanese teriyaki\sushi restaurant is going to be opening in Torre del Mar soon, I went past the other day and it is just being fitted out. It's on the Paseo Maritimo, towards the end of the El Copo block furthest away from the Paseo de Larios. However that's another place that's had a high turnover of restaurants in the same premises in the past, so I hope they do better.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Went to Thelma's Kitchen on your side of Nerja a few years ago.
Gerry
I remember that - at least 5 years ago or more. Really good authentic food (rare these days).

There is plenty of "Indian" food around but it is mostly Pakistani or Bengali and not very authentic at that. Most of the menus seem to be based on what is available in the UK. It's the same with "Greek" food- it is almost always Cypriot!

I cook a lot of varied "Indian" food and most of it you would not find in an "Indian" restaurant.

Sid