New Indian Torrox

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
casita-bonita
Resident

Re: New Indian Torrox

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 am

Pete'nKim wrote:I'm practising my curry cooking before we come to live next year. We're Brummies and have had a lifetime of being spoilt with curries. Couldn't cope without chicken or lamb madras or a spicy Korma.
My home made isn't bad but I do know that finding some ingredients may be difficult (I cheat and use Pataks paste sometimes, which is great).

Perhaps a curry club is something I should start up when we're settled as way of meeting people and sharing ideas?
We, well the boss cooks a lot of Indian and Asian food indoors and getting the spices was a big problem. As already mentioned you can get spices from various sources if you're prepared to shop around and we used to supplement this by bring hard to find stuff back with us when we went to the UK.

Now you can get pretty much anything you need from here http://www.ingredient.es. We pop in and collect our stuff but they will also post to you. Prices are pretty good to.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm

In Nerja we've had a couple of takeaways from the Taste of India in Carabeo - huge portions and tasty food.

Also tried the menu del dia at the Jaipur which is in Los Huertos. Their bahjis were the biggest I've seen here - like tennis balls and delicious.

I see that Haveli (further up 'Post Office' street) have started to open for lunch again and do a set menu. We've had varying quality from there over many years but we thought we'd try them again some time.

Generally we find the a la carte menu can be a bit expensive at most Indian restaurants so we do tend to stick to their menus del dia if they have one. We tend not to have just a curry and rice but like the veggie side dishes and a starter too. That's why we still do like the Taj on Torrox Costa as we like a range of several different little dishes which we can have for 9.95€ for all you want.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:42 pm

Wicksey wrote:In Nerja we've had a couple of takeaways from the Taste of India in Carabeo - huge portions and tasty food.

Also tried the menu del dia at the Jaipur which is in Los Huertos. Their bahjis were the biggest I've seen here - like tennis balls and delicious.
The Jaipur is our absolute favourite Indian in the area. Some of their dishes are up there with the best we had in India when we went there last year.

Will be trying the new on in Torrox tho'
Regards

Bob

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Free at Last wrote:I can't remember the name of it, but it was on Av. Castilla Perez. We never got the chance to try it as it was gone so quickly. I think those premises must be jinxed as there have been lots of restaurants in different incarnations, but they never seem to last!.
Thanks FIL, that's exactly where it was and yes it went as quick as it came, which was a surprise as the décor and kitchens must have cost a bomb.

It was not your normal eat all you like place rather more of pick it and we'll cook it.

The searing smell from the tandoor was so authentic I thought it was going to be a certain regular haunt.
I'm assuming the prices they charged were not appealing to people who want the lot for 9.99 though.

You are also correct I think about it changing all the time, OH reckoned it was a Chinese before it's brief Indian stint which we never visited.

Shame.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 pm

How do you rate the Nerja Indian restaurants in comparison
Personally I have never rated Haveli, a lovely summer setting but very average food, any English town sort of stuff. I only know three others currently. Jaipur, the Taste of India, and the Curry House, The first two are neck and neck and it depends on taste, ToI wins for me with it's gujariti owner, Raju, and his brother doing the cooking. We have been going there for nine years now and have never been disappointed. Raju has a brother in Birmingham too and has ingredients sent out. The cook in Jaipur is, I believe, but do not KNOW, Morrocan.
The Co-owner of the Curry House learnt his trade on Calle Carabeo so it should be pretty good, Raju has an interest in it but that is all.
I understand Haveli has moved so not even a garden any more.

Ducks for incoming :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:39 am

Lyric wrote: I understand Haveli has moved so not even a garden any more.
Haveli have moved to the premises next door but are upstairs above the TikTak (?) Indian tapas bar, and I think they now have a roof terrace.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:54 am

Do you know if they own that tak place Mrs W ? they used to have a lunch venue at Burriana but one thinks that failed after a year or so.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:52 am

Reviving an old thread. Just to say we tried the Jaipur for the first time the other day.

It is now our new favourite Indian in the entire area that we have tried (Nerja to Malaga to Periana). The various dishes are all very tasty, individual in flavour and the restaurant understands what "spicy" means i.e. you can get a good hot curry, without spoiling the flavour, if you so want.
Definitely our best Indian meal thus far in Spain. :thumbup:

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Second that. The Jaipur is a favourite of ours too, along with the Torre del Mar and Puente Don Manuel Taj Mahals. No-one else seems to come close, for us.
Chris