2 New Italian Restaurants

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: 2 New Italian Restaurants

Postby Evelyn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Havnt been to La Bella Torino for a while, as I write this I am watching Masterchef and the contestants are at Antonio Mattei in London the food is fabulous. Glad I have eaten all ready!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Went to La Bella Torino last Saturday eve, very average, 6 out 10 at best, my fish was definitely not fresh and the lasagne was very "ready meal for one" in appearance. To top it off they had run out of ice cream. Maybe an off night but won't be rushing back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 pm

Which fish dish was that?

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 pm

The Rosada with Clams (half of which empty) in a pinkish cream sauce....the best bit about the dish was the scalloped potatoes around the side. I've had Rosada many many times over the years in Andalusia and yes I'm well the fish is not native to the Med and is usually bought in frozen. but what i meant by not fresh was that it was a tough as old boots, grey at some edges and not the lovely succulent, white flaky fish that you usually associate with Rosada......La Viuda along the coastMezquitilla towards Nerja serves a fine Rosada frita or a la plancha.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Well, I have had a plate of really awful dry Rosada at La Viuda! It does seem to vary a lot. The price of the fish has doubled in the last year and I think the restaurants now use the tail end of the fish which previously they would have given to the cat!

Frankly these days you are better off with Lubina. It is very fresh, farmed and cheap.

One of our party today had the swordfish and got two huge steaks and he said it was very good.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Just got back, before it started raining, from having a look at La Sorrentina in Torre del Mar.
It's another P&P place. Nothing against P&P but I would like to find, in Spain, an Italian restaurant the serves Italian food.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Evelyn wrote:Havnt been to La Bella Torino for a while, as I write this I am watching Masterchef and the contestants are at Antonio Mattei in London the food is fabulous. Glad I have eaten all ready!
Yes, I think his restaurant is Sartoria in Savile Row, Mayfair. They do an outstanding set lunch for £32. Even their tasting menu is not outrageous for fine dining. The Masterchef programme did showcase some spectacular Italian cooking. I'm not expecting that down here but just some of those ingredients.... The crab starter, the rabbit, the stuffed baby courgettes, the marinaded cod....... :D

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Dream on!

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm

For a genuine Italian owned restaurant this one in Malaga comes highly recommended. Mura Mura, C/Duque de la Victoria in the city centre. It is advised to book because it is quite a small venue.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:03 pm

I only like "authentic" sparingly :wink: I am a bit queasy about some fish and meats. Don't like anything out of the sea with a head on it, snails, little birds etc. Wouldn't go for the cheek meat either although probably have without knowing it. Authentic italian to me is fresh pasta, preferably made in house, stuffed pasta, quality olive oils, fresh herbs etc. New York has some great Italian eateries and so does Nice, perhaps because it is close to Italy. Same as Chinese, hate most authentic, eating in China is a nightmare but don't mind the average Chinese. There used to be a really good Italian in central Marbella, complete with family quarrels in the kitchen. It changed hands and didn't last long with new owners.

Atmosphere and surroundings are more important for me

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:00 pm

There's a fab Pie n Mash place in Hackney and a very authentic Soup Kitchen in Ebbw Vale.....nightmare to get to from Torre del Mar though :wink:
I So Bella tis you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Katy, pig cheeks are delicious. Cooked all day in the slow cooker in a red wine gravy ..... they just melt in the mouth and don't taste porky-piggy either, which I find with some pork cuts here.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:56 pm

katy wrote:I only like "authentic" sparingly :wink: I am a bit queasy about some fish and meats. Don't like anything out of the sea with a head on it, snails, little birds etc. Wouldn't go for the cheek meat either although probably have without knowing it. Authentic italian to me is fresh pasta, preferably made in house, stuffed pasta, quality olive oils, fresh herbs etc. New York has some great Italian eateries and so does Nice, perhaps because it is close to Italy. Same as Chinese, hate most authentic, eating in China is a nightmare but don't mind the average Chinese. There used to be a really good Italian in central Marbella, complete with family quarrels in the kitchen. It changed hands and didn't last long with new owners.

Atmosphere and surroundings are more important for me
Nice was part of Italy until mid 19th century: principality of "Nice and Savoy" and quite a few resyaurants called Grimaldi, for example.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Just been to La Bella Torino. The provolone was excellent and so was the salad. Had a pizza because thats what we fancied which was ok. Sensible prices.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Love pig cheeks

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Yep, used to buy them at Morrison’s at dirt cheap prices. Haven’t seen them there for ages but needless to say Waitrose have them - at Waitrose prices. Oh for the days when you could buy lamb neck fillets and pork belly at rock bottom prices. Good old Gordon Ramsey cooks them up and the price trebles. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....