Tipping

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
zanuck
Resident

Tipping

Postby zanuck » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:22 pm

Just back from a wonderful few days, and once again, unsure whether to tip in cafes and restaurants.

I don't think I've ever seen a bill with the words "service not included" upon it.

Sometimes I tip and sometimes not, when I do, the waiter generally seems very pleased, sometimes a bell is rung to signify a tip (or perhaps stupid tourist??).

Can any of you folks resident on CDS tell me if there is a norm when it comes to tipping?

Thanks - Zanuck

cannydanny

Re: Tipping

Postby cannydanny » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:02 pm

In my humble opinion it's an individual thing, if I get good service I tip well, if it's mediocre I usually make a protest by just leaving a token amount, I always bear in mind that waiters are not the best paid people in the world and generally they need some tips to top up their feeble salary.

On the other hand in the states it's a nightmare, on a 170 dollar bill last year I left 15 dollars and the guy came rushing up to me as I was leaving , handed me back the money and said, quote, you probably need this more than me buddy, unquote, so I took it back and said thanks, I can use it to go to a better restaurant where the service is better.

To get back to the original question I believe 5-7% is fair, I mean, it's free money after all!

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:39 am

Most of our Spanish friends just tip up to the next Euro. After getting advice, we give an average of 5%.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:50 am

We were advised by the spanish that here in inland spain tipping was not the done thing - the spanish never tip - they may leave the odd couple of cents but that all. Apparently if the waiters get used to recieving tips it increases their income and can help push prices up. (We are an agricultural area with incredibly low wages here so increased prices really matter). I have even seen resturaunts with a sign up saying tipping is not allowed. So unless we have a really fantastic meal with wonderful service we don't tip.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:56 am

jane grant wrote: I have even seen resturaunts with a sign up saying tipping is not allowed.
I had a beer in El Corte Ingles and left a 10c tip.

The waiter followed me out and returned the money - no tips allowed!

Sid

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:28 am

We generally tip 5-10% if we've had good service and a nice meal, a nominal tip for poor service and nothing for bad service but then we are stupid Brits!!
Spanish don't tip or if they do it's virtually nothing!! If they don't feel the need to tip there poorly paid fellow Spaniards, why do we silly Brits??
Lorraine

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:10 pm

Tips in Spain will depend on the individual person and the type of restaurant/bar. Spanish who frequent a local bar/restaurant don't tip, but when going out for a special meal do...it has never been a custom to do so.
When a student in London I worked during one summer at a famous restaurant with majority English clientele...there was absolutely no rule as to who would /would not tip.. Good and bad tippers were well known by all the staff.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:05 pm

We aanish area on the coast and i have seen 4 spanish people have a meal that came to 83€ and they left 85€. The waiter never a said a word. I would feel embarrassed to leave such a small tip but not the spanish. you will then see them have a coffee for 90 cents and leave a euro. work that one out.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:29 pm

My husband always tips 10% but I don't depends on the meal and service. Last week my husband asked for aceitunas with a fino before our meal and although the bill was 74 euros they actually charged 2 euros for them. I had to nearly break his arm to stop him from tipping!

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:10 pm

All,
Many thanks for your replies. I guess I knew the answer, your consensus is tip to the next Euro, or more if it's been good, nothing if poor or worse.

Diaper Bob, thanks for your recommendation about the snow. I always follow that practice in the UK; when I'm over at New Year, if it snows, I'll remember your advice.