Ferias and Bullfighting

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Ferias and Bullfighting

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:37 am

If you go to a Feria which includes a temporary bull ring and posters saying that is is just a bull fighting school and no bulls will be killed, don't believe it.

This happened in Benamargosa yesterday and at least two bulls were killed.

We didn't see it ourselves but reliable friends did go, in the belief that they would just see people trying to remove ribbons from bulls, or something similar. Sadly that was not the case and the whole Feria was spoilt for them.

So be warned. If you still decide to go, don't take the children

Addition to post. Spoke to several people last night that witnessed the killings. The bulls were clearly drugged to make it easier for the people in the ring. One bull, that had been kept in a small pen, ran into the ring and ran around, seemingly happy to be in an open area. However, that lasted about a minute, at which point it fell it its knees. Apparently, throughout the "fight", staff had to continually pick and hold it up, it was so drugged. What was never going to be a fair fight was even less of one.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ferias and Bullfighting

Postby Mowser » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Any links to this Steve? I've searched all the Spanish papers and can find nothing about it.
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:37 pm

None that I've found, Mowser.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Any bullfight that involves a temporary ring is going to be a travesty of a "real" bullfight.

If you go to one you will only see the worst of "bullfighting".

If you really want to see what bullfighting is all about save up your pennies and go to a major feria such as Malaga, Granada or Sevilla.

It will cost you at least €50 and even then, with the best Matadors in Spain, it may not be a good experience. Only about 1 in 10 "fights" meet the criteria by which a bullfight should really be judged and that is ignoring any considerations of animal cruelty.

Sid