One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
casita-bonita
Resident

One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Before we moved over to Spain last year we frequently used to go and see bands live. Easy then as we hand a number of decent venues nearby and who was playing was well publicised.

Sadly not the case here as although there are some quite decent bands playing in bars and occasionaly well known bands playing in the vicinity it's not easy to find out who is on where and when. Normally I find out after the event when someone will say did you see Led Zepplin last week, they were playing practise sessions for the upcoming world tour in Paco's bar in Sayalonga. Or maybe something similar. In fact I'm still smarting from missing the classical guitar competition in la Herradura last year.

So in order to make it simple to find out what live music is around the locale I have set up a website www.bandsplaying.info As I get information on dates and venues I will update the website and hopefully a single click will tell you who's playing where on any date you choose. I only published it last weekend so right now it doesn't have much data available. However a friend of mine plays in a band here and will spread the word amongst fellow musicians and venues so should have a lot more very soon.

Right now it's a little basic, somewhat incomplete but functional and the weather is far too nice to be spending time indoors prettying up websites.

If any of you play in a band, or run a bar with live music please send me your gig/event schedules and I will include them in the website. There is a form on the website through which you can send the information or email me.

Along with dates I need a brief description of the type of music the band plays. For venues address, contact details, whether food is available etc.

In both cases if there is already a dedicated website include the URL so I can link to it.

Initially I want to limit the geographical coverage to roughly from Nerja to Torre del Mar and a similar distance inland. Really don't want to find myself with a mountain of data covering all of Spain which I have to manually input :-)

Listing is free, nada, gratis and I have no current intention to charge, which is another reason for keeping it relatively local and the workload minimal for the time being.

So that's www.bandsplaying.info for all your local music dates.

One last thing it isn't restricted to only "rock" bands as it would be good to be able to find flamenco evenings, guitar concerts etc. Don't plan to include one man and his karoake machine tho' as I suspect there are far too many of them around.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:11 pm

I've PMd you, Casita-Bonita

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Great idea and very welcome for the eastern area!
well done!
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:31 pm

If you like Pink Floyd, there's IMHO a great tribute band,which will play on the 02 Oct 10: at the Sala El Tren (Granada)