I would like to join a local band/orchestra

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
scouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

I would like to join a local band/orchestra

Postby scouser » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi all

I've recently moved to the Valez Malaga region. I play French Horn and would like to join a local adult band/orchestra in this area. I drive so don't mind having to travel. I'm an amateur and have played in wind bands and brass bands since I was a teenager. I reached grade 8 but my standard has slipped over the years due to lack of practise. I'm probably about grade 5 standard.

Does anyone here have any contacts in amateur musical circles?

Thanks.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: I would like to join a local band/orchestra

Postby campocaro1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Most local town halls (ayuntamiento) have a 'cultura' department who organise things like music classes for kids and adults. You sign up each September and pay per term -it's good value . Some have bands and small orchestras. My small village (Cadiz province) is organised like this and we have a thriving music centre -we go to piano classes and the choir. They also do wind instruments, guitar and percussion.
You can join at the beginning of each term too-our classes started this week.I imagine if you have lots of experience they will welcome you.
In larger areas they may have a 'conservatorio' - all the above but wider range of teachers and instruments not sure how this works-I heard Malaga has a very good one but I'm afraid I don't have any contacts there.Are you near Nerja? They probably have quite a few music societies and groups.
Good luck-I hope you find something.We sing together with our village band and perform at least three times a year -it's great fun and a really good way to meet people.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: I would like to join a local band/orchestra

Postby frank » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Our friend's son plays in the town band in Almuñecar, and he´s the only non Spanish there, so it´s doable. He speaks excellent Spanish now, but joined the band several years ago when he spoke hardly any, so no idea how that side of it works out. Not that far from you on the motorway really, if you are interested, I speak with his mother on skype and could find out the details.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?