Electric Bass to Hifi Amp

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
Acen
Resident

Electric Bass to Hifi Amp

Postby Acen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18 am

Hi

Is it at all possible to hook up a bass or electric guitar to a home amp used for cds???

Obviously the inputs are there but i have never seen the connection cables nor do i know of anyone doing it.

The kids are learning music in school and I was thinking of getting a cheap bass or electric guitar just for them to "play" with.

obviously this its not a serious pursuit at this stage hence why its just for playing with at this stage.

thanks

a

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electric Bass to Hifi Amp

Postby gerryh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:50 am

Not very well.
Have a read of http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml to save me a lot of typing.
Buy a cheap guitar amp.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 am

thanks Gerry

i struggle to buy anything cheap in spain, dealing with a local regarding something second hand is extremely hard work as im sure most of them can not get their heads around the concept.

if something cost €100 (inc IVA) new from a shop then trying to explain why selling that item for €80 after 5 years is too much money is near impossible.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:11 am

Hi Acen, you can buy a guitar lead with a USB on the other end to run it through a PC if that's any good.

I've seen them in electrical shops and they're available online..........I'm assuming they're also available in Spain.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:08 pm

hi thanks for that

will look into it.

it is really for the kids as an alternative to the "traditional" flamenco guitar which only seems to be taught in my area!!! (like the dancing, it only comes in sevillana form which after 3 weeks becomes boring for young children)

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:48 pm

To answer directly, your initial question, you CAN connect a guitar to an amp, but you'll have to work out the cables and get appropriate adaptors. The output from the guitar is a co-ax cable with a 6mm (1/4")jack plug on both ends of the cable and you can get adaptors to change that to 1.5mm (or whatever the mini size is) or to phono plugs or (as someone says) to a USB or whatever to fit the amp.. I find that a large Carrefour is pretty good at this sort of thing.

You might find a bass guitar is pushing the bounds of capability of the CD player 'tho!

Alternatively have a look at this: http://tinyurl.com/oht5x9g

It looks like a Fender strat copy, you get an amp, a gig bag and even an electronic tuner by the look of it and the price seems good and they are designed to go together!

Best wishes
nil illegitimum carborundum

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm late in on this one but I would never connect a guitar/bass to a hifi. I did this when I was a kid and it blew the tweeters in the speakers and actually destroyed one channel of a stereo amp. Small guitar/bass amps are very cheap these days. A few years ago I got a 60w Marshall Bass amp off Ebay for £60, in excellent condition too.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 06, 2014 6:52 pm

This post may be of zero value but, I have successfully connected my electric mandolin to my lap top then via a bose soundlink, great sound, lots of power and safe !!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 06, 2014 7:03 pm

I would humbly suggest that there is a big difference in the frequency levels and output levels outputted from an electric mandolin and a bass guitar. :think:
it's, mainly, the high bass level that can kill the speakers on a domestic HiFi system.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 pm

I can't see any reason to put a musical instrument through a hi-fi system. Appropriate instrument amp/speaker combinations can be bought reasonably cheaply nowadays, why take the risk?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 pm

As I said, probably of zero value :-)