Buying DVD's with subtitles

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buying DVD's with subtitles

Postby Erika » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 pm

I have had many people suggest that watching Spanish TV and films with subtitles can help with learning Spanish. I'd like to try this by watching dvd's as then I can rewind/rewatch the bits that go too fast for me to keep up which happens a lot with TV. Also hopefully I can find things I am really interested in.

There is one TV docu-drama series in particular I would like to purchase. It is the story of La Reina Isabel and starred Michelle Jenner. (There were three seasons)

I know I can purchase it on line from Spanish Amazon but does anyone know of a shop in Malaga city where I might find it? ie one that sells DVD's of TV programmes?

Or if these DVD's would necessarily have captions available?
and if, should I find it really too hard translating, they would have an option to switch to English language?

Any other advice very welcome of course. Thanks.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying DVD's with subtitles

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:36 pm

We have the Isabel series on DVD in a 15 DVD boxed set. They have Spanish subtitles but there is no language option other than Spanish.

I obtained it through Spanish Amazon but I have seen the same thing on sale in El Corte Inglés although at a considerably higher price.
Let's go Brandon!

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for the information Beachcomber. I'll have a look in El Corte Ingles on Monday (they may have something else of interest too) but will probably try to buy it on Amazon if I can. Cheaper is better!

Have you watched it yet? Is the language complex and difficult to follow? or not too bad. I've heard the telenovelas are fairly simple language but given the subject matter I guess Isabel will be harder. I'm just new to the language but I do love a good historical drama so thought it would be a good one to keep me interested.

Thanks so much for your help.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 pm

My wife is the aficionado of this type of production and watched the original broadcasts on TV and as she speaks Spanish like a native she was able to follow every syllable. I bought the boxed set for her and we have watched it again several times.

I followed the story OK but I tended to drift off every now and again. The fact that I am not as interested in Spanish historical drama did not help but it was very well produced, directed and acted and certainly a far cry from much of the rubbish that makes up Spanish television.

You might also consider a double DVD of the films 'Adolfo Suárez, El Presidente' about the transition of Spain after the death of Franco and '23-F' about the attempted coup in 1981. Again they are only in Spanish with Spanish sub-titles but it was easier for me to follow because they are subjects which hold rather more interest for me. Both have associated documentaries and other extras.

More in the vein of Isable type of historical drama is 'Volavérunt' with Penélope Cruz which is about Queen María Luisa de Parma.
Let's go Brandon!