Need a dress for the Feria

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Need a dress for the Feria

Postby Erika » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 pm

I have been told that there is a 'discount' dress and/or fabric shop for 'feria' dresses in Málaga somewhere on the way out toward the airport, possibly in or near a Poligono industrial estate. I got the idea it was a bit of a 'category buster', maybe warehouse style but this may be completely incorrect. I know that's not much to go on but does anyone have any idea what, or where, this may be?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Need a dress for the Feria

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:53 pm

This sells materials and dresses although the dresses are pretty pricey.

http://www.galeriasmadrid.es/producto/t ... /flamenca/

I have seen an advert on local Spanish TV for a shop selling all the spotty flamenco material but I'm afraid I can't remember its name so not much use. Sometimes charity shops have second hand flamenco dresses.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:20 pm

There is a shop in Calle Granada in Malaga city. Always seems busy.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Whilst I love the way hundreds of Spanish dress up in their traditional flamenco clothes for ferias, I think that a non-Spaniard wearing it is vaguely insulting - it becoming more fancy dress costumes like Batman outfit or Wonderwoman?
Would the locals in east London appreciate Spanish residents dressing up as Pearly Kings and Queens?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Spanish dress in our neck of the woods is blue work trousers and a check shirt :mrgreen: A plastic box bungeed to your moped complete's the look , I do not feel it's insulting when I put my gear on :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Whilst I love the way hundreds of Spanish dress up in their traditional flamenco clothes for ferias, I think that a non-Spaniard wearing it is vaguely insulting - it becoming more fancy dress costumes like Batman outfit or Wonderwoman?
Would the locals in east London appreciate Spanish residents dressing up as Pearly Kings and Queens?
I can't agree with that at all. If I went out with a group of Spanish girlfriends to the feria I'd love a chance to wear the traditional flamenco dress. I know of foreigners living here that go to flamenco classes and have performed at a flamenco show in the local theatre. Surely it is integrating into the Spanish way of life, which we are all encouraged to do.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:45 pm

peteroldracer wrote: I think that a non-Spaniard wearing it is vaguely insulting - it becoming more fancy dress costumes like Batman outfit or Wonderwoman?
Yes Peter is right. All Brits should wear union Jack shorts and kiss me quick hats :crazy: .

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:16 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Whilst I love the way hundreds of Spanish dress up in their traditional flamenco clothes for ferias, I think that a non-Spaniard wearing it is vaguely insulting - it becoming more fancy dress costumes like Batman outfit or Wonderwoman?
I am inclined to agree when I see those 65+ British women at Fuengirola ferria. Although I did go to flamenco lessons. Was a laugh, OH wouldn't go. Made some good friends and if anyone is looking to book me I am really good at sevillanas :wink: my friend and I did a spoof for a charity night, a la French and Saunders. We borrowed the dresses and danced around our handbags. Went down well, we were famous on the coast for about a week :lol:

Back on topic, there is a good flamenco shop in Fuengirola, close to the bus station.

http://flamencoazahara.com/en/

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:20 am

Thanks to all for your suggestions and leads. Peteroldracer I tend to agree with you and feel a certain unease about the idea of foreigners in flamenca dress. I too feel that it can be a bit like fancy-dressing.

I think I particularly feel uncomfortable as I come from an ethnic background where national costume is regularly worn for formal occasions and it is seen as 'amusing' when a foreigner wears it. However my Spanish friends, of all ages, say that I shouldn't feel that way and actively encourage me to dress up. My 83 year old landlady even wants me to borrow one of her many outfits. So hard to know what is the right thing to do.

Regardless, I continue to be reticent and am not planning to buy for myself to wear.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 pm

I have never looked at this thread before. But that is total rubbish. I spent three years learning Sevillana and we went to a lot of ferias to dance and in no way were foreigners thought of as odd or out of their depth for wearing a flamenco dress. Over 65 or not! Good grief, it is be damned if you do and be damned if you don't. The locals love it if the ladies wear a flamenco dress. :shh:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:00 pm

First time for me on here as well and I spent all last winter trying to learn the Sevillana but the feet, leg, hand and arm co-ordination got the better of me. That elegance is actually quite exhausting and quite hard to put together, Anyway. Yes! Go for it no matter what your age. It's not 'dressing up' It's dressing for the feria. Everyone looks fantastic at the local ferias and if you don't make the effort and go all out colour and flounce and flowers in your hair you are looked upon as not-quite-the-thing. The more like everyone else you are the more the local adore you. (Only my experience, of course).

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:05 pm

Exactly Lavanda :thumbup: :mrgreen:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:08 pm

You just have to keep at it Lavanda, you cannot learn it straight off. All of the other ladies in the class were Spànish except for three of us. It does take years and it is fantastic exercise and you can practise your Spanish all at the same time, so it is a win win situation.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:11 pm

A friend and I decided, a few years back, to turn up for the Fuengirola Feria ( in October) in our kilts and full highland gear. It went down a bomb and we were offered free drinks all night :-) - as well as frequent requests for photo shoots.
It was however , a real test of stamina coping with the heat and the weight of a kilt.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:48 am

How brilliant, gus! One of our small band of British people in the area is a Scot and he does the same. EVERYONE simply loves his kilt and it adds to the general 'fiesta' feeling. As for the Sevillana, I'm taking up the classes again in September. As you write, patricia, it's great exercise and all in Spanish. Don't you just get the starting point ... in the middle of the first line in the middle of a wail? If it wasn't for the teacher yelling "Vamosnos" I'd never start at all!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 am

Oh yes lots of mistakes at first. Still you can practise the moves at home. There are a lot of videos you can watch which will take you through each move and also you can print of the steps and follow. What I did was get the first three right - at home - and then move on to the next three steps and so on. If you do that it stays in your memory and then you will get better when practising in the class with the other ladies.
Last edited by patricia on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 am

That's good advice. Then any serious gaffs are only seen by me and not everyone else as well.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:42 am

Yes there are loads on YouTube, get the right one. There are a few with just a lady and she goes very slowly so you can see her feet move. Practise just the first one at first step and get that right, practise, you can pracise even when you are walking around the house or along the street! But loads of videos to watch. Even the Spanish ladies make gaffs so you are not alone.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Gus, have you been to the Scottish festival in Teba?

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Never been Maureen. We tend to be in the Malaga region, or off to the major cities, when we come to Spain.

Just realised where Teba is :wtf:
Not too far away after all :lolno: