Choosing / changing electricity contract

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Trooperman
Resident

Re: Choosing / changing electricity contract

Postby Trooperman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 pm

One thing I am wondering is whether, as the potencia can be changed online, I can simply change this down and up during periods of potential almost zero use, medium use when we are over for a visit, and potential max use in high summer if we ever decide to let out the apartment. As it seems to be billed on a daily basis maybe this is an option ? I will try and check with Endesa whether there are any limits on how often this can be done, but I wondered if this was something that people had considered as it seems a potentially easy money saving technique.
I don't think so because when Endesa changed mine last March, an engineer had to come out, unseal the meter, change the trip fuse to the new (lower) potencia, seal the box and who then walked away with a smile :angel: There was no charge for that visit.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:33 pm

the fixed monthly payment
cuotadoce is what they call it.

Espana101
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Espana101 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Trooperman wrote:
One thing I am wondering is whether, as the potencia can be changed online, I can simply change this down and up during periods of potential almost zero use, medium use when we are over for a visit, and potential max use in high summer if we ever decide to let out the apartment. As it seems to be billed on a daily basis maybe this is an option ? I will try and check with Endesa whether there are any limits on how often this can be done, but I wondered if this was something that people had considered as it seems a potentially easy money saving technique.
I don't think so because when Endesa changed mine last March, an engineer had to come out, unseal the meter, change the trip fuse to the new (lower) potencia, seal the box and who then walked away with a smile :angel: There was no charge for that visit.
Interesting that you say that, as I checked through the online chat and I was told that they charge a flat rate €10 to downgrade the potencia, but charge around €40 per kW to up-rate it again. He said to try it online (but did not sound 100% sure it would work, although the option is there) and I wonder whether with a smart meter a home visit is required.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:11 pm

A smart meter home visit just shouldn't be necessary. The max current draw (potencia) is by software setting, not a physical fuse.
Chris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 am

Though i am not absolutely certain i believe the physical fuse/trip will need to be changed, i assume the smart meter is the one that can be read remotely.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:A smart meter home visit just shouldn't be necessary. The max current draw (potencia) is by software setting, not a physical fuse.
We have a smart meter but the trip is in the fuseboard in the house, sealed with wire and a lead crimp.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:55 pm

country boy wrote:[
We have a smart meter but the trip is in the fuseboard in the house, sealed with wire and a lead crimp.
So do I, but the trip in the fuseboard was installed before the Smart meter was installed.
I believe the trip in the fuseboard is now surplus to requirements and can be removed. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Espana101
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Espana101 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Can I just ask what happens if the system trips with a smart meter and there is no physical trip switch to reset ? I am guessing there must be a reset button on the meter (?), but I don't have easy access to the meter as it is in a locked communal area. I read somewhere that throwing the main on/off switch on the fuse-board and then switching back on would do it. Is that correct ?

I am still puzzled by the fact that we have a 3 phase power system, but Endesa tel me that this is simply how the system would have been installed. The development was built as a very top end product and I am wondering whether this was just a hidden extra that was put in, although it seems an odd one to have included. I suppose that the alternative is that 3 phase was required to service the block as a whole and this means everyone in the block got 3 phase ??

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Espana101 wrote: I read somewhere that throwing the main on/off switch on the fuse-board and then switching back on would do it. Is that correct ?
That is my understanding.
One day, when I've got nothing better to do, I will overload my contracted 8.8 KW supply until it trips and see how to reset it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:47 pm

So far as I remember, if you reduce the load to below the contracted level, the smart meter auto-resets.

It looks as if a good few smart meters get installed without the installer needing/wanting/being bothered to get access to the house and its consumer unit (fuseboard). When this happens, the previous ICP (current limiting trip) just gets left in place. No reason why it shouldn't be removed, though.
Chris

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm

This is good news. I only require 8KW December to March when i have several electric fires, kettle, hairdryer and water heater on. The rest of the year I can manage on 4Kw, as long as I can juggle hairdryer and kettle :crazy:

Could save me some money?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Just had my bill for November/December (we get billed every two months).

If you think your bill is a bit high, mine was €520. But we do keep pretty warm (and cool in the summer). Next two months will probably be higher!

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 am

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 am

Nice one! It must be our Xmas tree that's doing the damage!

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Underfloor heating. Lovely and toasty, but flippin' heck you might as well throw €10 notes up the chimney.