NIE Numbers

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

NIE Numbers

Postby Pirateprincess » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:34 pm

PLease help, i have been belly aching about buying a place in spain and now my parents are actually out there looking in Jaen and its so exciting but now we have to get these NIE thingys and as i'm still in Irelaand i dont know how to get one, do you have to go out to the area you are buying in or can you apply from your own country, its all happening and i just want it all so bad, i know you have all advised me before and it has all helped ...what is the best thing to do, can i get my mortgauge, bank account and all that with a passport?????ARRGGGH i know my head is wreaked!!!!!!Melted!!!!!!!!!!HELP PLEASE URGENTLY :shock: :x :o :cry:
LOUISE M

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:44 pm

You can certainly apply for an NIE number at the UK Spanish Consulates so I would suggest contacting the one in Dublin. As long as you're not in a hurry for it...
http://www.mae.es/Embajadas/Dublin/es/home

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Its easy to get one once you are in spain, the local police station should have the forms and it takes two days.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:16 pm

Good grief, take a deep breath :shock: :shock: :lol:

It's all very confusing isn't it? I got mine from the Spanish consulate in Manchester, took about 4 weeks but you have to have an address in Spain to send it to. Otherwise just go to the local police station as the previous post says, but then it helps if you know where you are moving to!

Round and round in circles, it doesn't get any better!! :wink: :wink:

Best of luck

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pirateprincess » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:36 am

will the counsulate post it to me in Ireland or at the spanish address i give them?????????i'm very confused and slightly frustrated as i'm sure you can imagine did you feel like this, i also have toi get them for the kids too!!!right???do we need them all at the same time or can the kids get them, when you actually move?????????
LOUISE M

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:13 pm

You can get a bank account with your passport but as for a mortgage you need your nie number before the bank will grant the mortgage.All to do with dodgy solicitors getting mortgages on numerous property's and money laundering.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:33 pm

I don't know how old your kids are but I've been told that they don't need them until they're 14.
With regards to how long it takes to get them when in Spain very much depends on the area where you apply. In some places they can be given within a couple of days but ours took 6 weeks at Fuengirola but I must add that this was in Sept 2005 and hopefully things have changed since then.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:22 pm

We applied at Torre Del mar and got them in 3 weeks but we needed the address of the property we were intending to buy or they were not going to process them so i would stop panacking and find a property first before worrying about NIE NUMBERS :lol:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:47 pm

They're not normally to concerned about an address. A lot of people use friends addresses or their lawyers etc as long as something goes on the form. Your NIE number stays with you for life and is not 'attached' to an address.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:50 pm

So an address is not important. The important thing is to get a NUMBER. Never really understood this. But i suppose that with people renting places more and more and moving around there is little point in keeping an address.

Chrissie
Resident

NIE numbers

Postby Chrissie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:21 am

If you're using an estate agent in your ptoperty hunt they will usually let you use a rental address, provided by them, for the purposes of getting the NIE number - even if you're not actually staying there :wink: Just ask them 8)
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:39 am

They sometimes insist on a rental contract though not always. I think it depends on what they had for breakfast! :?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:37 pm

malagaman2005 wrote:Your NIE number stays with you for life and is not 'attached' to an address.
We originally used a friend's address in Elviria to get the NIE, but once settled, called in at Torre del Mar nick, who quickly and painlessly issued revised paperwork - as has been said, same NIE number, current address.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:08 pm

The Spanish consulate won't post it to an address in Ireland it has to be in Spain as they send all your documents to Madrid and then your application is processed and posted to an address in Spain. I took a stamped self addressed envelope with me with my address in UK but they said it wasn't possible and they had to have a Spanish address (luckily my parents live in Spain).

You can download the forms from www.mir.es and if you look on the consulates website it tells you all the paperwork you have to take with you.

As somebody else said, you shouldn't worry about it too much yet, you will have to go to Spain to look for property anyway so you can sort it out then, your friendly estate agent will probably help you out too!!

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Sun May 13, 2007 10:39 am

wait until you get to spain until getting NIE number, like the others said, it is a fairly easy. quick process, mine took two days, although i'm told they are now taking a week her in Ronda. Just went to local police station with two photos and passport, very simple.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:48 am

Photographs? That's interesting as we didn't need them for ours and they don't appear on the NIE form, what do they do with them? have things changed?

lyndajo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: NIE Numbers

Postby lyndajo » Sun May 13, 2007 1:34 pm

[quote="Pirateprincess"]my parents are actually out there looking in [Jaen /quote]

My partner and I got our NIE's in Jaen, and it took about 15mins. plus about 5 mins. waiting, and we walked out with our NIE's! That was just a couple of months ago.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun May 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Photos? They didn't need any photos when I got mine.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun May 13, 2007 3:09 pm

I had to produce two copies of our passports, which would show the photographs.......

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Sun May 13, 2007 5:03 pm

Can someone tell the cost of NIE as I have just had a bill for them from my solicitor who got them on our behalf. :?: