Moving to Torremolinos area

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun May 27, 2007 10:48 pm

annie_d wrote:I'll tell you what's odd... Beachcomber...Silver....Heston....Spanish Hopes..Dido..Peteroldracer...Olive...Retropete..Campokenny....Dealer..THESE are the people whose judgements and writings i most listen and follow to so i cant understand what the anger is between Peteroldracer and RetroP
annie_d Peterold racer recently made an insulting remark to Beachcomber of all people, I responded angrily and Peteroldracer is pi55ed off that I made a fuss about it, he is generally quick to point out the faults of others (particularly spelling mistakes) but seems unable to accept criticism himself, by the way Peteroldracer Bankruptcy is spelt as demonstrated here, with a t :lol: :lol: :lol: we all make mistakes.

If it serves any purpose I publicly apologise for pi55ing off old Peter, but if you're gonna give it, then make sure you are big enough to take it :) :)
Ah! the full english!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:06 am

Flanny, why don't you look into selling jewellery and gifts in Spain, it is something you already know about and the gift market can't be as saturated as the bar market can it? :shock:

Stick with what you know, I'm sure it would be much more pleasant and have much more sociable hours than a bar.

If you want to go down the B&B route then give me a shout, I will try and give you a few pointers as this is something I have looked into myself. :D

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 28, 2007 9:15 am

Just to get back to what the thread is really about......did you ever watch the 'dragon's den' on TV. 'Entrepeneurs' (??!) pitching for investment from people who had made money themselves.
Some of the preparation for the presentation to the 'Dragons' is 'cringe worthy'. A lot of the ideas are absolutely idiotic, but they should at least be able to answer the sensible questions asked of them.

OK it is television, but a small dose of reality would help!

And that's what needed for anyone starting a business anywere. We all have brilliant ideas from time to time, but we need someone on the outside to show us the real world!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 28, 2007 9:54 am

All the mom and pop business ideas have been done to death in Spain, jewellery, beauty, selling UK products etc.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 28, 2007 10:40 am

I have no desire to prolong the subject, but I took exception to being told that taking the time and thought to post a considered response to a question, at reasonable length was stupid. To the best of my memory, I have never insulted the rightly-respected beachcomber, but do remember being surprised at a comment attributed to him, almost as if someone else sent in something from his IP! :)
I hope that the only time I criticise language (apart from the illiterate who pretended to be a teacher) is if it is so far from correct English that it becomes nonsense - the English equivalent of using "cojones" instead of "cajones" when talking about drawers in furniture! I too make typos, frequently, and have no wish to have shards of glass dropping on me as I lob rocks at anyone!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Mon May 28, 2007 10:48 am

flanny, two things that are expensive in spain are ELECTRICITY and WATER, we all have to pay for utilities and they are really no different from uk.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 am

Some of the things that are cheaper here, like fuel, road tax and alcohol and tobacco, do not significantly lower your fixed overheads in a business. What does count is the much, much lower disposable income here, so many people simply do not have the money to spend on anything but the most basic goods. There are of course relatively well-off Spaniards, and immigrants from many parts of Europe and elsewhere, but I would suggest that unless you are able to successfully target them, you will work harder here to earn less than in the UK. Andalucia is about the lowest-paid region of Spain, and Malaga the lowest paid city of that region. Tourists are in reality here for only half the year, so if they are your market you have to earn twice as much in the season to live through the rest.
There are many families round here in the countryside who live on less than 100 Euros per week, and survive by growing their own vegetables, rear their own pigs and so on, their only income being occassional farm or building labouring.
Whilst they are delightful, uncomplicated, generous and cheerful folk, the inland economy, with no manufacturing and very little service industry is more like the country areas of England in the eighteenth century, and few would set up a business doing anything other than supply basic needs, and those already exist.
As I said in an earlier posting, without careful research, the perfect location, an attractive USP, and a good command of the language and local laws and regulations, it can be a very efficient way of turning a fortune into the opposite.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon May 28, 2007 12:05 pm

Peteroldracer, Does this constitute a truce then?

My Intelligence quotient, by the way is 141, not genius but above average!
Ah! the full english!!

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Mon May 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Come on boys ...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon May 28, 2007 6:12 pm

two things that are expensive in spain are ELECTRICITY and WATER
Water is not expensive everywhere; our water bill is about 20 euros a quarter. That I think is cheap.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

tillymint
Tourist

Postby tillymint » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:33 pm

a couple of restaurant's owner's who we know have said they have never know it so quiet this time of year, they are putting it down to the predicted heat wave in the UK this summer 4 restaurants have closed in 2 week's due to lack of trade. So i would be very careful buying into a trade which is clearly loosing its customer's

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Alan-LaCala wrote:Water is not expensive everywhere; our water bill is about 20 euros a quarter. That I think is cheap.
Alan, whilst trying not to be mean and mealy mouthed I have to ask, do ou shower regularly :lol: my last water bill was 82.82 for the quarter, what am I doing wrong?
Ah! the full english!!

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Retro - Are you showering with a friend?
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Nope, I shower at 08.30 and 18.00, (about) I don't know what else I use water for except flushing the toilet and washing salad, our pool is paid for in the community charges! am I being screwed, my neighbours bill is roughly the same, I live in the middle of a golf course, could that be it?
Ah! the full english!!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:27 pm

Alan, whilst trying not to be mean and mealy mouthed I have to ask, do ou shower regularly my last water bill was 82.82 for the quarter, what am I doing wrong?
The only thing I can think of Retro is that it must be different size egos to be washed. :roll:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 pm

I don't really have a big one (ego, that is) :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

Patrick
Tourist

Postby Patrick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi,

I'd like to emphasize how much good information Peter has provided to all you forum readers. As a resident for over 25 years on the Costa del Sol I have seen many businesses fail however much enthusiasm people put into them. The trouble is some people will never listen to good, solid advice. Sure if you have a new business idea go for it! but not the same old bar venture for Pete's sake (sorry, bad joke!)
If you've heard it in a Bar, it's probably 50% true.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:45 pm

I wonder what happened to flanny.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:17 pm

It is always worth remembering the tale of the woman who told her friend "When I married my husband, he backed me in a bar & restaurant business on the Costa del Sol, and now he is a millionaire".
"What was he before?" enquired the friend.
"Oh" said the woman, "a multi-millionaire!"

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:26 pm

i don't think of myself as particularly lazy but i cannot imagine why anyone would want to own a bar or B & B. All that work!
anyway, anyway, love from me.