Spain or Gibraltar????

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
SunnyGuernsey
Tourist

Spain or Gibraltar????

Postby SunnyGuernsey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:33 am

Hi,
I know this forum is "Moving to Andalucia" but we are currently debating Andalucia or Gibraltar?

There are pro's and con's for both, as my husband will be working in Gibraltar he doesn't relish the idea of crossing the border each day, also we have schools to consider as we have 2 children age 4 and 7, Gibraltar will be less disruptive for my 7 year old, however the housing in Spain is a lot more affordable with a good mix of houses in our price range instead of the apartment living in Gib.

Would dearly love to hear of anyone who has been faced with the same decision.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:10 pm

We had neighbours at Benalmadena who did not speak any Spanish but thought with their experience in the UK they would find jobs easily, all to no avail. The husband spent a little time in Spain, but also spent some time in the UK, his wife started work for a bank in Gibraltar, tried commuting ( too far and draining) , Gibraltar apartments too expensive, so tried a shared apartment at La Linea and walked across the border each day. Financially it was an improvement but separation from hubby proved too much and they are both back in the UK now. All in all, if you can find better value accomodation in Gibraltar that may be your best option.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 pm

I would agree. Unless your husband is prepared for a commuting life then I would opt for Gibraltar. The usual language and education issues etc associated with living in Spain become irrelevant and, you can always explore Spain at weekends and holidays. Before I retired, I frequently visited Gibraltar with my work and found that, while evenings and the choice of places to eat were not very exciting it was easy to walk across the Border to La Linea to sample the tapas etc! :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:29 pm

Sotogrande is only about 15 mins from Gibraltar and a pleasant drive.

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Gib is crowded and has little open space; property is expensive. Within 30 minutes drive of the border - from La Linea to Estepona - there are many property options and now is a good time to buy as the market has suffered something of a crash.

Many people live in the Manilva area and commute to Gib. You will have no problems finding people who speak English in this area.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest Sotogrande as it is about the most expensive place West of Marbella.

forestfire
Tourist

Postby forestfire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 pm

"Sotogrande is only about 15 mins from Gibraltar and a pleasant drive."
Do mind you don't get caught up in an armed robbery while you're there...

SunnyGuernsey
Tourist

Postby SunnyGuernsey » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 am

Hi Forestfire

Is there a lot of crime in Sotogrande?

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:16 am

No, just a lot of Criminals (allegedly). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:43 am

Hello sunnyguernsey..........hope all is well up north!! :lol: :lol:
Gib is great if you want an English set up and are comfortable with a little bit of a kiss me quick holiday atmosphere for most of the year.
The border is a great deal better than it was due to new agreements between Spain and the UK. I would suggest living in Spain in a decent family home with perhaps a pool in Spain as opposed to an apartment in Gib. There are plenty of good English schools on the coast around Gib and good properties at prices which are coming down!! :!: :!: The commuting time etc for your husband will be far outweighed by the better quality of life you will enjoy in Spain in my opinion. 8)
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 pm

SunnyGuernsey wrote:Hi Forestfire

Is there a lot of crime in Sotogrande?
Only during summer months when my family are out :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

costacab
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costacab » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 pm

We're currently facing the same issue. My new company's HR dept have advised, and speaking to employees it seems true, that practically everyone in the company ( even the Gibraltarians) live around the Sotogrande area and send their children to the Sotogrande international school or back to the UK as boarders for their GCSEs.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:52 am

And Alcaidesa. If you ever drive around there you see nothing but Gib plated cars. There are not plenty of English Schools along the coast. There is the Sotogrande International School and then nothing until after Estepona.There are several in Marbella area. I have been told that there is a school being built in Alcaidesa.

I agree that you are better to live in a nice house in Spain with a pool than an apartment in Gibraltar. I tried it for a year and couldnt wait to leave!

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30 am

I rest my case m'lud :!:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

forestfire
Tourist

Postby forestfire » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:38 pm

There was an armed robbery last month where a woman and her children were held at gunpoint. Obviously the estate agents are quite low key about this sort of story when they are trying to sell you the dream.
I lived there for a few years and there were spates of between 5 and 10 houses being robbed some nights, and the use of guns and gas to subdue the victims.

I rented a house from a crooked estate agent who has a very respectable
looking set-up in the port. After most of my neighbours had been robbed I thought it was time to move on -the next tenant of the property was robbed a few months later.

Don't be fooled by the presence of private security firms there, they have been wholly ineffective in stopping the crime.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:39 pm

Security guards are poorly paid and open to temptation. We have a "loose" urbanisation, a few small streets of just villas in largish plots, most of us use private security firms. The Urbanisation employs a night-time street security patrol. Only one incident in 7 years on the street, theft of a Lexus...It was the night security card :shock:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:31 pm

a friend rented a studio in central gibralter, £900 a month !!!

she's now living in la linea, a 15 minute walk to the border in a 1 bedroom one level house and paying €450 a month ... !!!

toaster

Postby toaster » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:42 am

Right, I'm new to the site so go easy on me! My partner and I are about to move to Gibraltar as he's just got a job there. I need space and was told to rent in Spain and make him commute (fine with me). What I'm wondering is if anyone can recommend an estate agent or the best way to find a good rental property. I keep stumbling across holiday rentals!