What area of Andalucia to move to ??

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
robinB

What area of Andalucia to move to ??

Postby robinB » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:37 pm

hi

i know this is a bit of a tall order.

We live in alicante province at present and are looking to move further south.
is there recommendations of areas to look at (or to avoid).
we dont want a city or large town but smaller community with facilities, shops etc within easy drive/walk.
an hour from large town / airport at most.
should be a naturally pretty area.

thanks

Robin....

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:01 pm

The western Costa Del Sol should suit you, Malaga & Marbella are places to visit rather than live in. The coastal towns between Malaga & Marbella are fine for you time wise from the airport, some more Spanish than others, as are towns and villages a little inland. If you want a more English speaking place, Benalmadena on the coast and Alhaurin El Grande just inland from Malaga could be good, Fuengirola on the coast is very mixed, half Spanish possibly as Granada & Cordoba families have holiday apartments there. Inland villages south of Ronda such as Casares, Castellar & Gaucin are just a little too far, but Cartama, Benalmadena Pueblo, Mijas, Istan and perhaps Alora would be a good balance. They all have some ex-pats but remain Spanish.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:54 pm

have a look at the eastern costa del sol. less built up and still spanish. western is ok if you want to be brits abroad.

robinB

Postby robinB » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:59 pm

hi

we were going to take drive down this week again and have a look at Moraleda de Zafayona, just west of granada.

anyone have any comments again on this town/area.

does it snow there in winter ?

deceptive with all the hills/mountains around the area.

thanks

robin...

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Moraleda can be windy(high up) and very cold in the winter. if you keep goig south through Zafaraya to lake Vinuela and the Axarquia area in general, the villages/towns are more attractive(in my opinion!) This area would be 1.5 hours from Granada airport & 1 hour from Malaga. Also handy for a day at the coast (0.5 hour-ish)
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:55 pm

The Loja area, is more attractive IMHO than Moraleda and is still less then an hour from Granada airport. Alhama de Granada is nice too.
The Moclin area, north of Granada is lovely. Definitely snow in winter though.
Or how about the Arcos de la Frontera - Olvera corridor - very pretty, still quite unspoilt and an hour from Jerez airport. Sometimes snow in winter!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:48 pm

Costakid, I'm interested in your reply, what does a three bed townhouse on a decent urb cost (about) I've actually looked at Torre del mar but it seems to be a pain in the backside to get there from the airport, there doesn't appear to be much going on on the beachside of the road, I guess you live there so what makes it (in your opinion) better that the western bit, I really like where I am now (Nueva Andalucia) but they're starting to take the p**s with local consumer prices and some of the newer characters are not too socially acceptable, give me the pros and cons, (in a nutshell) thanks Retro P.
Ah! the full english!!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Torre del Mar is only 35 minutes from Malaga airport.
In July & August its full of mostly Spanish. (except Thursday when the market is on)
Its still very inexpensive to eat out :D

I just prefer the 'feel' of the place, compared to West of Malaga.

Some nice new apartments going up on the western side of Torre del Mar.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:41 pm

What place isn't full of spanish in July/August :roll: Was in Torrremolinos last August and it was almost totally spanish. Nice new apartments :?: that'll be a first then...in Spain :!:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Torre del mar is 35 minutes max, usually less from airport, motorway door to door.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:41 am

costakid wrote:have a look at the eastern costa del sol. less built up and still spanish. western is ok if you want to be brits abroad.
Shhhh! Don't tell everyone about Rincón!

McT

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:34 pm

western is ok if you want to be brits abroad.
Isn't that exactly what we are/will be? :roll: :roll:

No stretch of any imagination will make us Spanish.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Retro p, a town house is about €350000 for something nice, 25 minutes from the airport and food and drink are still reasonable. A 3 bed 2 bath apartment 100m2 build is about €280k. i was at mirraflores for years and when we moved it took me a bit of time to settle, you can't walk into a bar and start talking to english poeple because there are not that many around but once you get used to it its great.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Spanish, on the east they don't wear t shirts and shorts in december, still very spanish and if you don't want to stand out like a sore thumb you have to dress and act like the spanish. I was in Fuengirola one day , freezing cold and the brits were on the beach huddled together behind wind breaks. Just because you are in spain you do not have to go to the beach and sunbath everyday, have a full english and drink john smiths by the gallon.

Thats what i call brits abroad.

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Just because you are in spain you do not have to go to the beach and sunbath everyday, have a full english and drink john smiths by the gallon
I couldn't agree more, but it doesn't alter the fact that we are NOT Spanish even if we dress like them and can speak the language. I don't have a problem with being a 'Brit Abroad', though i would be horrified if I were thought of as one of the 'lager lout , bingo crowd. :lol:

Heston
Resident

andalucia

Postby Heston » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:10 pm

It all depends on what you want if you want coast or inland..I live 40minutes North of Granada area in the mountains but its not everyones cup of tea! However there are lots of beautiful white washed villages and bigger Towns near by too...stunnig landscape, beautiful people and the cost of living and property is lower.......it all depends on what you wants.

Good luck
x

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:41 am

Take a look at Competa , Canillas de Albaida, Sayalonga - all what I would cal "working" villages, all within 20 minutes of the motorway / beaches, an hour to the airport, and far less expensive and built up than west of Malaga.
Spaniards still make up 95% of the population. with a good mix of foreigners from the UK and other Northern European countries, all bringing their own culture to the area.
Hardworking resident !!

anitabrits

East side of Málaga!!

Postby anitabrits » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:40 am

We looked from Cadiz to Nerja and ended up in Torrox Costa.
Close to all amenities - nice streched promenade- and close to mountainvillages as Cómpeta and Frigiliana.
Torre del mar is indeed the cheapest place to eat out and has also a promenade of 2,5 km. which is perfect for elderly people.
Anita Brits

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Of course. point is if you are asking for information on the best places to live would you trust an agent :!: Most of the Brit ones have only been in the country a few years (or less) themselves too :roll:

dawn mason

western andalucia

Postby dawn mason » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:02 am

Hi there

notice you are hoping to re-locate your area.

Am moving out to spain in several weeks. Did you drive and look around?any information re areas that yoiu could share

regards
dawn