hair dressing

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
zanny
Tourist

hair dressing

Postby zanny » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:58 pm

hi all i am thinking of moving to spain after reading alot of the postings alot of you say doing what you no is best i have a very succeful hair saloon but i would like your veiws on weather to open a saloon or to do mobiling in spain as that what i before i opened my saloon i speak a little bit of spainash still learning .thank you :D :?: :cry:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Saloon or Salon? It might make a difference.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

zanny
Tourist

Postby zanny » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:02 pm

well spotted i mean salon thank you

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:43 am

There are so many hairdressers around here - both Spanish + Brit - and in places like Nerja it is hard tro decide whether there are more estate agents or hairdressers as every other shop seems to be one or the other!

I would think you would do much better mobile as there are far fewer of these - but expect to have to reach some pretty inaccessible destinations.

There is always room for one more really good stylist though. Good luck.

zanny
Tourist

Postby zanny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:57 am

hi, thanks for that information making a living in spain is not as easy as everyone says

kexon
Resident

hairdressers

Postby kexon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:50 pm

:o maybe you have loads where you are, but good hairdressers,with the emphases on GOOD, are thin on the ground where I am, unless you want to travel long distances,yes there are some reasonably good spanish hairdressers, but as some of my friends have learnt to their cost,you need to be very specific with your spanish,particularly in regard to how much you want cutting of,and what shade of hair colour you want! The more the merrier i say!!!!

Corazones
Tourist

Postby Corazones » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:49 am

If a mere man can be permitted to venture a comment on this generally feminine subject, I'd suggest researching the market first to see whether the income is likely to be what you expect. My wife and I have had many haircuts in the nearest village to our holiday finca over the past six years, and we currently pay 3 euros for my Spanish cut and 8 for an excellent wash, cut and style for my wife. Often with coffee included. Prices are higher on the coast, though, or if you travel, but generally much less than in the UK. Good luck!

zanny
Tourist

Postby zanny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:29 am

hi kexon its like a needle in a hay stack getting the right location is the hard bit i am grateful for all comments muchas gracias :? 8)

zanny
Tourist

Postby zanny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 am

hi corazones hear in the uk people think the more there pay the better it is which it is not. my salon is the cheapest in my town some say it must be rubbish there its cheap which is a load of rubbish its just the way some people think :? thanks you have been very helpful :D

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:34 am

i have a very succeful hair saloon
so why change...get in extra staff to run the place and move over here...you can pop back once a month to collect the takings :) most of the hairdressers here are empty except fridays...the busiest ones are in the big shopping centers..but the rent in a shopping city is very very high... there are a good few hairdressing schools (that offer very cheap deals) in Malaga that knock out over 500 new hairdressers a year.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:12 pm

It might be a good idea to go mobile at first. The costs of opening up a business, getting the opening licence etc. could be excessive. You could test the market first by advertising a mobile service, but you would have to be in an area where there are lots of Brits, not necessarily living in the middle of nowhere up long tracks!

My husband pays 4 euros in the village for his haircut from a spanish barber, and I understand you can get a cut and blow dry in Rincon (for the ladies) in a Spanish salon for 20 euros. It costs about 30 euros for a cut and blow dry in Nerja at a Brit salon.

Some of the hairdressers I have spoken to in a couple of the Nerja salons are self employed. They used to have their own salons in the UK but now work for someone else.

Good luck.

kexon
Resident

hair dressing

Postby kexon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:55 am

Hi, i totally agree with the mobile hairdressing,,your initial setup expenses will be much lower.Good Luck.:D

zanny
Tourist

Postby zanny » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:25 pm

thank you for the info i might just do that 2 start with and then i mite open a shop i now need to choice a area where to move to where there is not a lot of hairdressers. :D thank you

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:02 pm

We don't have a hairdressers in our village and dont know of any unless I go 45 minutes to the coast and pay €30 for a cut and blow dry.
I used to pay €25 for highlights, cut and blow dry at my last village :twisted:
You could try renting in an area and do mobile first see how much business you get. Most people dont mind a bit of a drive for services, we are used to that.
Chris

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Mrs P, I don't think we're too far from you and I pay €30 for 3 colours and cut & blow dry at our village hairdressers, much better than coastal prices where the cheapest I could find was €70 (Spanish) and up to €90 (British).

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:49 pm

I must get into all this! i am 47 and been to the hairdressers once, on my wedding day and they made a b u g g e r of it. I WANT SOME PAMPERING.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:56 am

We use a mobile hairdresser in the UK and we are willing to pay a bit extra for the convenience of not having to drag the kids to a hairdresser, I'm sure lots of other people feel the same, also our 2yr old feels much more comfortable having his hair cut at home (he has very curly hair which grows outwards rather than downwards poor thing :( ) 8)

I can't see the appeal of having a salon, when you are mobile you get to go out and about, leave your mess behind, cut down on your overheads( :roll: ) and charge more money!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:14 pm

I think some people though enjoy the whole experience of going to a salon and being attended to rather than "being done" in their own home and having to sweep up afterwards.

zanny
Tourist

Postby zanny » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:17 pm

thank you :D for the info i am very grateful i do think mobile will be the better option than a shop due to the high rent at least with mobile i can keep my price down .thanks again