Estate Agents, who are the honest ones?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Jules, I doubt that my asking if AIPP will contribute to its downfall as it has been discussed to the point of libel on another forum. As for being furious...er, no. Cynical, yes. All I was trying to point out is that just because an agent is a member of some money making organisation don't think that they are any better than the ones who haven't joined.

Kenny is right, (I never expect an agent to be honest anyway) I have sold more than once with VIVA and they were efficient, high commission but they got a high price. Would I buy with them, probably not. The last two houses I bought were private sales. I would suggest never handing any money over to an agent to reserve, tell them to call your lawyer.

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:39 am

Katy that is the best advice I have seen on this board, and that is exactly where I went wrong. Deposits should never be given to estate agents or developers directly by yourself only by your lawyer who should also be independent.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 am

Hi Katy,

Can I ask what this other forum is please to look it up as I don´t want to suggest AIPP is a good organisation if its not? As it is an organisation that actually checks Agents out to prove they are working legally (paying taxes etc) it seemed to be the better of the bunch but I may be wrong. However I still think that if anyone is in the know about dodgy dealings they could report it to any member organisation that Agent belongs to, eventually the no smoke without fire will kick in if enough reports on one company are received.......

I´m with Kenny in terms of Agents and customers...........it seems to me people are far more vulnerable to builders ripping them off than Agents as a sensible person only commits money to a deal once their choice of solicitor has checked it out. Yet its Agents who get a lot more flak and publicity - I may be biased as we were seriously ripped off by a builder and it cost us a lot of money, despite all the contracts, monitoring etc in place, and evidence in builder´s own writing, all he needed to do was ensure he never registered his assets in his own name and our Court judgements were worthless! It took us 4 years to recover financially.......but I suspect this is the same in the UK....

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:02 am

Nasty story Jool about the builder who caused you to lose money......sorry to hear that and I hope the *beep* is suffering now.
Can you, out of interest give outline details of roughly what happened? or would you rather not on this forum.

It would be a great help for many to know just the scenario and how it may be avoided in future, ie was it bad workmanship?, illegal build, or did he just take money and run.

Cheers

Kenny

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi, this is my first post.

We bought our little house four years ago from a Spaniard via an agent. We did not lie about our budget (tiny, but no mortgage required). The agent told us at the start what her fee was. She arranged to show us three houses, we bought the second. Five days from start to finish Great.

Another agent last year we wanted to show us a house (this time with a bigger budget) REFUSED because he wanted us to spend the day looking at houses with him. He wouldn't show us just the one we wanted to see. His e-mail intimated that we 'didn't really know what we wanted' so it would take a whole day looking at about a dozen houses.

It was BECAUSE we knew what we wanted that we only wanted to see the one!

Anyway it was a lucky escape as I later realised he was a person we had had dealings with before (under a different name) and he is a shark.