Another newboy with loads of questions!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
AndyM
Tourist

Another newboy with loads of questions!

Postby AndyM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:19 pm

OK where do I start?

Firstly I am addicted to the forum, God knows what will happen if my company logs which websites I spend my time on!

Knowing this will bring on the normal range of comments from "You're mad, don't do it" to "100% behind you, go for it", here goes -

My wife and I (I'm 42, she's 32) have been planning a move to Spain for the last year or so and our plans are now becoming more concrete. In summary we are hoping to find a renovation project, take a year or two to complete it then come out summer 2009 when our finances will be "sorted". If all goes to plan we will be mortgage free and hence low risk and will not need a huge income so plan is to open a pension with specific target audience. (I know this will start a whole new thread!!!).

So first question I would appreciate your opinion on prior to a week long visit in September is - What area? We have narrowed it down to Bocairent or Costa Tropical (I know this area is huge) and like the look of Gualchos.

Anyway could go on forever as I'm sure most could on their first post!

Be gentle
Work hard, exercise hard, play REALLY hard!

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi and welcome.
I have a house near Vinuela Axarquia (we have had it for 9 months) but still live in England so i don't have the experience of most of the people on this site.First of all a problem you might have is managing a refurb while not living in Spain, maybe you will have to have a project manager.We have found getting people to do stuff in the time you are here on holiday is difficult. As for the area this is a regular debate on this site but I like anywhere east of Malaga .

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Another newboy with loads of questions!

Postby hillybilly » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Welcome and good luck with your plans.
AndyM wrote:God knows what will happen if my company logs which websites I spend my time on!
Then you'll get the sack and your plans will have to be brought forward a tad!

Just don't make any hasty decisions (a week isn't much time to house hunt) and plan to spend twice as much on renovation as you originally think it will cost you. Renovating "from a distance" can be difficult if you don't plan exceedingly well and find the right people to trust.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:15 pm

Would agree with the previous posters reservations about running a project from a distance. Even with the best laid and most detailed planning there will be unforeseen problems when it comes to the actual work. Unless you are talking about renovation of a mainly cosmetic kind (changing fittings, mild restoration and painting and decorating) or doing it yourself, there will be decisions that need to be made that will be next to impossible to deal with from a distance. This will create stress. probably cost and time over-runs and may even end up with work having to be ripped out and re-done. This would be particularly likely if you are a person of strong and clear ideas. I had considered this path myself and decided it was better to go for a place that was habitable and required work that could be broken down into small projects that were mostly within my own abilities. That way I had the satisfaction of putting my own stamp on the house without the stress.
Grouser

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi andy, I wish you well. just to help with the time scale. we bought an old village house. we added a second floor. The architects took 6 weeks to draw up the agreed plans but these took exactly one year to be passed by the college of architects in Malaga and our local ayuntamiento. so it may take longer than 2 years for your project.
Stay patient ! you'll need lots. but it will be worth it.
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

AndyM
Tourist

Thanks - opinion please

Postby AndyM » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the support, seems like there's not too many views on best area. Fair enough too much down to personal prefernce.

Also looks like being in England whilst trying a massive re-firb/build in Spain is gonna be the hard bit.

Are good project managers as rare as good estate agents??? :(
Work hard, exercise hard, play REALLY hard!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Thanks - opinion please

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:14 pm

AndyM wrote: Are good project managers as rare as good estate agents??? :(
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being fresh dodo tongue, they are an 11. As I have said before here, if you have done this more than once in the UK, successfully, then you may decide to risk that you have found one of the few honest dedicated people in the business out here and go ahead. In any other circumstances, I would advise "no way José" !
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Thanks - opinion please

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am

AndyM wrote:Are good project managers as rare as good estate agents??? :(
well i'd manage it, and i could give good references, unfortunatly the area that you are looking at is too far for me to do it efficiently.

i'm sure that there are people around your way / where you are looking that would take the project on, unfortunatly experience dictates that while they will tell you everything is progressing in spain they will probably have spent your advanced €20,000 on a new car and a boot full of beer...