Bandits

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bandits

Postby Big Col » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:54 am

Regarding Bandits

Please be careful, this happens!!! due to the removal business we are up and down through Spain twice every week.Sometime ago this subject was brought up on this forum informing us how folks had all there money stolen by bandits posing as police.
This is what this forum is all about making folks aware.

Last week we carried out a removal from Norfolk to Castril.
The gentleman along with 2 dogs and his 2 teenage boys drove through France to Spain in there UK car, where as we always do the Bilbao route.

Around Madrid whist on the Madrid bypass roads he was flagged down and directed to follow a Blue car with 2 police men inside off the motorway on to a slip road.He was asked to step out the car and asked for his documents which he had in his wallet which also contained half his money. he followed policeman back to their car. He was then asked to remove his money belt which he did,which the policeman then searched.

Gentleman is now suspicious and a argument started which in this time he grabbed his belt and wallet back out the policemans car window the drive then pulled out a GUN!!! and threat end the gentleman, who run off back to his own car shaking and frighten for his life. The Bandits drove off at high speed leaving this guy and teenage sons shaking .

Chatting with this nice guy when we delivered his house contents to his new home he was more upset he didn't just let them have all the money as he now realizes he gambled with his and his family's Life.At the time he couldn't think,had no time to think, and was under duress, and at gun point.!!!!

What would we have done???

The incident has been reported,and apparently is common!!!
These bandits pick on English registered cars.

So please please be aware.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:00 am

No matter what they are wearing, keep the car locked and windows closed until they show you ID. Take a photo of them if you have a camera phone too, if they aren't legit they will soon be on their toes. There is no need to get out of the car to start with, you can pass documents through the window until you are more sure. Don't stop for a plain car either I have never heard of plain cars only for speed traps and they don't move they pass your registration to another car further down the road who pull you over.

Be safe
Chris

kexon
Resident

Bandits

Postby kexon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Many Thanks for this information,i have visitors at the moment who will be driving back through madrid,so i shall pass on this info to them,good to be aware of up to date events,these people are just sick!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Yes, I agree about the 'bandits', I did write sometime ago , about our experiences with the 'bandidos' in Madrid, so I can only advise anyone not to get too paranoid about these 'happenings'...But do be 'aware', and don't stop for anyone, unless they are of course dressed in police uniform, even then keep your doors locked and only wind down your window a little, until you are absolutely sure...
France also has problems with car theft and muggings, usually at service areas, if you stop at an 'aire' ( rest area), and leave your car, always make sure it is locked and no windows open, even if you are sat at a table with your picnic, and take turns to go to the loo !. I regularly watch in amazement as people leave their cars insecure ..Bon Voyage.. :wink:

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:05 am

Which ringroad do these bandits normally operate on or is it all of them. I usually use the M40 outer ringroad to get round Madrid and avoid city centre traffic. I find the M30 goes too close to the centre.

I think my tactics would be to carry a camera with me and take a photo of them then let them see me making a mobile phone call (all the while not stopping the car). You could also have a ready made sign to hold up in the window that says POLICE. They can make of that what they will but I think they wouldn't want to find out.

It's crazy the lengths we have to go to in order to stay secure. I understand from others that it is eastern europeans who are the culprits.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:54 am

Here's another little trick that can be used by these horrible people.

Heard this story off a passenger I picked up.

You park in a petrol station for a break, while your away a car will park next to you and puncture your Tyre, but not enough to go flat immediately. They then follow you for a few miles knowing that the Tyre is on its way down, by doing this they flash you down and explain to you that you're Tyre is going down. They then pull next to you saying that they patrol this motorway. These people ask if you would like help changing it and ask you where is the spare Tyre, in the mean time the other person has kindly helped himself to your belongings IE: passport, purse, wallet, documents, credit cards etc. Once you are on your way and then realise everything has gone, these guys have disappeared. This woman that had this awful experience done to her, reported it to the police by which time the credit cards had been used numerous times along that stretch of road.

Apparently police had informed her this was not an uncommon event.

Also this was a UK plated car so the crooks are obviously targeting people that they know are not local and may be carrying cash or other items.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:17 pm

We have a sign in Spanish which says "we don't believe you are police" which we can hold up to the window for the Phoney police follow me scam

Also one which says "thanks, but we don't need any help" for the puncture scam.

Thankfully never had to use.

The digital camera is a good idea.

Sad, isn't it

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Rick, the signs are a good idea but I think your second one is far too polite. I wonder how one says f*** @ff in Romanian/Spanish.

marc23west

Postby marc23west » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:55 pm

thanks for your info always good to know,,,

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Teralin

I believe the nearest equiv is ....

vete a tomar por culo

But I could be wrong