FURNITURE

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Peacelily
Tourist

FURNITURE

Postby Peacelily » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:02 pm

So we've bought the apartment and now we need the furniture. Can any of you guys recommend a company/shop for reasonably priced items and a reliable service? Our apartment is in Calahonda - it's 10 years old with quite a lot of character, and the only thing we've bought so far is a table and chairs for the terrace.

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:57 pm

You thought about going to one of the Auctions houses?
There is an English one every month in Campillos, see their advert in the Local Connections.
If you register they will send you an e-mail near to auction day with list of items for sale.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:09 pm

WE came out 4 yrears ago and found the perfect sideboard/glass cabinet in Fuengirola. We could not find a matching high bookcase and TV/Music Centre cabinet to match the dark teak colour. We went to Furniture Mart in the Arroyo who sold us both items in pine, took a shelf from our original unit to match the colour, had it stained perefectly at the factory and delivered it on time. We ordered two pine chests of drawers for the bathrooms as well, and they did not charge us for the staining. They are English, reliable and good value for money. Tel 952 562 145 and live in the Avda Gamonal in the Arroyo. :D We also bought two top of the range relaxer chairs and a bed settee from Sumobel, who delivered 8 weeks late and forgot the cushions we ordered. :(

Peacelily
Tourist

Postby Peacelily » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks for that - ideally I'm hoping that when I come back in September I can source eveything from one place rather than going here there and everywhere!
I'll let you know how I get on

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Furnishing your apartment?! I always start with a few questions to my clients
1. Are you going to be letting it out for holiday lets or is it going to be for personal use?
2. What sort of budget have you put aside to furnish it
3. What sort of look and style are you hoping for?

There are numerous furniture shops down here, some good and some not so good plus of course there are many furniture companies down here that don't necessarily have shops they are on the industrial estates.

Unless you were buying a furniture pack (even if you are) I would not be too optimistic that you will be able to spend two weeks here and complete it.

It can be a long task and lots of driving around and of course you have the siestas to think about too, although most of the shops here now do stay open in the afternoon but not all of them! Plus finally trying to co-ordinate the deliveries is usually difficult, however if you are tenacious it can be done!

I am currently finishing off an apartment here for a friend, they bought some furniture and did lots of running around earlier this year buying kitchen equipment, etc but finally flopped out at the beach bar. So I am having some furniture made to match existing and 'finishing off' for them i,e, curtains, accessories, beddings, headboards, you name it! I had another client recently in Miraflores and he called me as his wife had started making expensive mistakes?! She confessed she had become confused!

I have helped people furnish many properties here so if I can advise let me know! Whereabouts in Surrey are you from?

Laura :D

Chrissie
Resident

FURNITURE

Postby Chrissie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Sorry but I can't advise on shops in your area. However I think you'll find that you will get an excellent deal from smallish local shops. I would advise against getting a 'package' - just start with the bare essentials while you get a feel for the place then add gradually. IMHO 'less is more' if the place already has character :D
Hope you enjoy the fun :!:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Just "go slow" i would say. A piece at a time. You can't furnish a house in one fell swoop. Have look around at what is local to the area and what feels comfortable to you, not what you think a "spanish house" will be like.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Peacelily
Tourist

Postby Peacelily » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi Chrissie, Laura & Annie D
I've taken your advise on board and have ordered beds, two sofas and a table and chairs via a friend living in Calahonda who will take delivery for me. When these items arrive - I will go over to Spain and slowly start adding ie. mirrors, rugs, cushions, pictures etc.etc.
We're not in a rush to get it finiished, if we do rent it out it will only be to family and friends - although I'd rather not!
I'm more concerned about getting all the little things, crockery, cutlery, glassware etc.etc. I'm hoping I can find a store where I can go and choose everything and have it delivered rather than going backwards and forwards for days on end!
I think you're right - it will be a slow process - but I would be interested if any of you could recommend a store for the "sundry items"

Julie
Andalucia Guru

rent

Postby Julie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Could be better to rent out to people who don't know, who expect to have to to pay for the privilege LOL

Retro P
Resident

Re: FURNITURE

Postby Retro P » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:32 pm

[quote="Peacelily"]

it's 10 years old with quite a lot of character, quote]

Well that made me laugh anyway, If I remember correctly there is, or was a furniture supplier on the lower level of El Zoco, however they only sell the normal spanish stuff which in my opinion is tacky and poorly made, take my advice invest in a truck rental and bring some good stuff from France or the UK, this of course is on MY opinion but most of the modern stuff available in Spain is pure rubbish, sorry but that's the truth 8)
Ah! the full english!!

Peacelily
Tourist

Postby Peacelily » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:32 pm

Retro P - glad I gave you a laugh - although I'm not sure why?
I think you're probably right about furniture - but our place is really only for holidays etc. for certainly the next 5 years, so we don't want to spend a fortune.

With ref. to renting, the comment was correct - people you know seem to expect to go and stay for nothing!

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Peacelily

I think one of your best bets would be to head for Dunnes, however can be a bit hit and miss, they are either very good for all those sorts of things or they have a sale on and not a lot! Good for bedding too and accessories. Mirrors there is a place called Monty's mirrors in Calahonda which has a good selection although last time I was there it looked like it might be shutting down but a friend has been there since and said they had more in again? Rugs Leroy Merlin are quite good and also for lighting, not cheap though, I always order my rugs from a wholesale catalogue, good luck! :D

rita
Tourist

Auctions

Postby rita » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:02 am

we went for the 1st time to the auction in campillos last month, fantastic bargains - got a brand new sofa for 5 euros & had a laff too - well worth the trip up from the coast

Chrissie
Resident

Re: Auctions

Postby Chrissie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 pm

That sounds interesting Rita. When is the next one :?: Do they have a website :?: :D
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:20 pm

I just had to have a laff (sic) at that too :lol:

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:38 am

Hi Rita I was there on the 6th Sept and picked up a colour portable tv for my Karaoke for 10 euros, works fine.

There was some tat but also some good bargains.

They have changed the times for next month it is now on Sat 6th Oct at 3pm, changed it for the winter months, darker nights.

Will be there again looking for bits and bobs.

rita
Tourist

Auctions

Postby rita » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:06 am

The company is called Andalucian Auctions and the telephone number is 952 724327 if you email them they put you on their list to receive an email of what they have available
[email protected] - they advertise in local connections but it doesn't say anything about a website

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:03 pm

Check out "The Friday ads." Some ex-pats are returning to the UK for various reasons and are selling off everything.