So what about Nerja then?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:00 pm

dido72 wrote:The house is just right for us for now, it is not one I would choose to buy, but to rent for a year it is perfect, there are shops, restaurants, bars and the market just around the corner and the school is a nice stroll down the hill (and a heart pounding slog back up pushing a double buggy!!) .
Where are you exactly, at the top in the old part, or in the new part of the village? Just trying to picture the hill. If it's up above Calle Zacatin, thats some climb! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:10 pm

Frank we are in the old part I think, just a couple of streets away from the "main" road where there is a large park/skate park/fountains etc. The school is straight down the hill from that road and yes it is a hell of a hill, will just have to stop for a few coffees on my way back up :lol:

I have just been looking at your Photo's, they are beautiful :D

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Another question..where is the nearest national police station/tax office/ITV station to Nerja?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:57 pm

dido72 wrote:Frank we are in the old part I think, just a couple of streets away from the "main" road where there is a large park/skate park/fountains etc. The school is straight down the hill from that road and yes it is a hell of a hill, will just have to stop for a few coffees on my way back up :lol:

I have just been looking at your Photo's, they are beautiful :D
Thanks! Get the coffee on, I'll be there third week en October! :D No, make that wine! We'll be staying in San Rafael, which is on the way back into Nerja.
Sounds like you are definitely in the new part of the village. Pop into Las Chinas, restaurante just above the park, and see Sebastian, nice man, nice food! Try the sopa de marisco, ¡muy rica! :D
Some photos of the village here,
http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/frigiliana
Regards, Frank

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:11 pm

You are welcome any time Frank, went into Las Chinas for lunch the other day it was indeed very nice our new house is just a couple of streets away:D. Is the old part of town to the left as you go in, down the huge flights of steps? We didn't venture down there as we had many children with us and not enough time....I suppose we will have plenty of time now though :D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:39 am

frank wrote:[ Pop into Las Chinas, restaurante just above the park, and see Sebastian, nice man, nice food! Try the sopa de marisco, ¡muy rica!
Yes, very good but certainly enough for two people!

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:30 am

It is indeed! The first time, I had it there, Sebastion (he's a mate of our Spanish friends that live in the old part) filled the bowl, and I was impressed, but then he leaves the tureen with as much again in it! Some bread, and it's a meal in itself.
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:37 am

dido72 wrote:You are welcome any time Frank, went into Las Chinas for lunch the other day it was indeed very nice our new house is just a couple of streets away:D. Is the old part of town to the left as you go in, down the huge flights of steps? We didn't venture down there as we had many children with us and not enough time....I suppose we will have plenty of time now though :D
As you walk up towards Las Chinas, with the restaurant on the left, and his tables outside on the right hand side of the road, just carry straight on that road. If you go to the school, there are loads of new apartments opposite, but up above that is the old part. There are lots of steep steps there as well.
Regards, Frank

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Thanks Frank we will have a good old explore when we get there :D

Heston
Resident

Nerja

Postby Heston » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:41 pm

Dido

what excellent news so pleased for you and your family!!Best of luck Nerja is beautiful in fact my hubby and I are going to have a cheeky few days down there at the end of the month for a well earned rest!
x

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks Heston, shame we won't be there then we could of had a drink but I'm sure we will run into each other soon :D

The general concensous amongst friends and family is that we are bonkers trying to emigrate in 4 weeks but I am confident we can do it. Most of our things are already in storage so it's just a case of moving the rest and loading the van up with our clothes etc. We only moved in November into our rented house here so I still have my lists of people to tell ready! :roll:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Dido, 4 weeks is plenty of time. Just remain focused and don't let 'friends' or family deter you. Anyway, they are probably only jealous of your move and, indeed, your resilience. Don't let them get to you.

I hope it goes well for you,
remember, you make your own luck :D

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks Colin, I absolutely agree, you make your own luck :D . I am not feeling at all stressed, I have lists of things to do and people to inform so it's easy really.

Speaking of people who are jealous my husbands boss has been telling him for 2 years that we will never get round to going, his face was a picture when my husband handed in his notice this morning :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Dido, 4 weeks is plenty of time. Just remain focused and don't let 'friends' or family deter you.
I´m sure her family and friends will only want what makes her happy, and that sounds like living in Spain.
Anyway, they are probably only jealous of your move and, indeed, your resilience. Don't let them get to you.
Not sure why they all should be jealous. Most of us here either live in Spain, or have contemplated it at some time, but it´s not for everyone. I know people that have never been abroad, and have no interest whatsoever in even holidaying overseas, much less living there.! :D Lots go to Australia, but that has never appealed to me. However, I think they think she is bonkers trying to do it in 4 weeks, not the fact that she is moving to Spain.

I hope it goes well for you,

And me, and I´m sure it will.
remember, you make your own luck :D
I´ve never quite understood that. You can influence things maybe with a positive attitude etc, but if a car comes around the bend on the wrong side of the road and ploughs right into you, that´s bad luck, and nothing you could do would alter the outcome.
:D
Regards, Frank

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:43 pm

if a car comes around the bend on the wrong side of the road and ploughs right into you, that´s bad luck,
Nope, thats bad driving :cry:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:42 pm

On his part, bad luck on yours! :D
Regards, Frank

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:27 pm

dido72 wrote:Thanks so much for your advice again guys, you always come through.

We have spent the day in Frigilliana today and rented a house there :shock: . It was market day so nice and bustling but not manic....nice! The house is just right for us for now, it is not one I would choose to buy, but to rent for a year it is perfect, there are shops, restaurants, bars and the market just around the corner and the school is a nice stroll down the hill (and a heart pounding slog back up pushing a double buggy!!) . We are moving mid September, and at times I thought I would never say those words :roll: .

Back to the UK tommorrow for a hectic 4 weeks of putting everything in storage and sending letters to everyone etc etc etc....wish us luck!

Kenny, I agree about Nerja, ridiculously overpriced but the surrounding areas are cheaper and very pretty indeed, we love it!

Dealer you know you would always be welcome but my husband would say no....you, with your reputation :wink:
Its a bit eiree when you read a post like this and realise that this person is doing exactly what I want to do myself in 12 months...in the same place....

Que music for the Twilight Zone.... we control the horizontal...we control the vertical....
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Hiker I wish you the best with everything, you have found the best forum for help and advice, they are fantastic on here. I hope I can help you when you move over as so many on here have helped me, just shout anytime :D

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Yes, any question, just ask! As my sig says, I don´t live in Spain, but we have been visiting **** and Nerja area for many years, and have good frends in ****, so if we don´t know, I can always ask them. Plus, I think there is someone here in the forum that lives in Las Lomas, which is just Nerja side of ****. It´s my wife´s favourite, so we have to keep going back! :D
Regards, Frank

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:37 pm

Best wishes Dido, hope all goes well for you :D we are moving over as soon as the house sells. We want to move to the Benalmadena area to begin with but are going to have a look at Nerja and Frigliana when we come over on our holidays in October