NO Where is Perfect

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Katy, I might be wrong but I didn't think any Spanish speakers pronounced the letter "s" as "th", only the letters "z" and combinations "ci" and "ce" take on the lispy "th" sound. Please correct me if I'm wrong but house is casa not catha and table is mesa, not pronounced metha.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Frank - you are mixing up "s" and "c". In Spanish an "s" is always pronounced as such. With ceceo pronunciation the "c" before i or e becomes more like "th" and the "z" is always "th". With seseo pronunciation as in South America and parts of spain the c before i or e and the z is pronounced similar to s. Maybe it was just a typo on your part.
You're right! I got the explanations correct, (cerveza etc) but made a hash of the other. As you say, I've an "s", where it should have been a "C".
:D ¡Un gazapo! Yes, South Americans are "seseantes", no excuse for getting it wrong really. :?
I speak with a guy from Córdoba (the Andalucian one!) and he says he hasn´t un fuerte asento, for acento!
Thanks
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Agree Mesa etc is exactly that, but I don't think Frank is saying that is he??
Just read it again and am not sure :?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:28 pm

katy wrote:Unless I have read it wrong, Franks post sounds about right. Not an expert on S. American though.
I think we got it wrong, Katy! But you knew what I meant! :D
Regards, Frank

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Thanks Frank - thought I was going mad especially as Katy is a fluent Spanish speaker but I guess she didn't read your post properly.

Glad to see you back on the forum. :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks Frank - thought I was going mad especially as Katy is a fluent Spanish speaker but I guess she didn't read your post properly.
She´s not alone, I didn´t read it back properly either.

Glad to see you back on the forum. :lol:
:(
Regards, Frank

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Gone back to trying Michel Thomas, yes he's boring and those 2 students of his get right up my nose.

I'm the mad woman driving along in my car, shouting 'That's not right, you stupid tart!' or 'You smug git' depending on which student is replying.

It is kind of hypnotic but I'm hoping some of it will get through my thick skull eventually.

Whatever I try to say in Spanish, it is never quite right for someone, If I say Adio, they say Adios, if I say do they say dos. and visa versa
I'm sure it's a game to them, so I've resigned myself to it.