NO Where is Perfect

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

NO Where is Perfect

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:40 am

There is so much 'stuff' floating around in the various forums , estate agents advertising etc., stating that Spain is Paradise, the streets are paved with gold, it's Eldorado and such like....But in reality it doesn't really matter where you go...it is what you 'make of it'.......
Everywhere in Spain seems to be the 'hidden Spain,or it has a 'micro climate', or is undiscovered, a gem, a jewel...I don't need to go on, you will all have heard the estate agents 'speak', and I don't really believe that anyone is fooled by this type of marketing....
I do think that Spain is a great place to move to, but like anywhere else it does come with its problems..ie. horrendous heat in the summer and can be bitterly cold in the winter....and apart from the weather conditions , there is the economic climate...low wages...crime, rip offs,overcharging. etc....

But they do say that you would have more chance of success, if you move away from your home town....This is probably because you have become complacent and take for granted your familiar surroundings, so going somewhere new opens your eyes to opportunities and 'niches', that locals have missed...I think that people also lose some inhibitions and have a go at something new, when out of the 'glare' and criticisms of their family and friends....
So really to 'sum up', if you are prepared to accept that when you make the 'big' move to Spain, that it may not be 'paradise'...then I think that you will be successful....Don't be put off by what may seem to be negative comments by forum members, including myself, we are only trying to point out that sometimes things do go wrong, and that it would be much better, if you are prepared for them... :cry:

Everything that I write.... is of course, only my own thoughts..I could be wrong.. :oops:
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:07 am

I must agree. I don't think many of us fall for the promotional hype but come here and see for ourselves. I do believe though that it's difficult to lose ( not loose ) the holiday feeling when you first arrive. It does take a while for the fact that you actually live here to sink in.

Sorry for the spelling lesson but I see this word mispelt so often on boards, not that my spelling is perfect :?
Chris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 am

Mrs P,
Sorry Miss, I have written it out 100 times..I must not say loose, I must not say loose, I must not say loose.....etc.

Don't know if it was a typo, or maybe I was dreaming about naughty ladies....( as in loose women)..... :oops: :oops:

ps. I have edited it accordingly

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Anyway, getting back on topic...does anyone really believe the numerous ' Paradise' type headings, still appearing on agents sites ?.....I find it hard to believe that anyone does.... :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:36 pm

You mean they aren't true! I feel a bit like when I found out Father Christmas wasn't real!
Although they would never admit it, I'm sure some are seduced by this propaganda. Even if they ignore the written stuff, the sales patter etc, pictures of idyllic white villages, perfect villas, perfectly clear blue skies, pristine swimming pools, all help sell the dream. How many people do you see on holiday looking in Estate Agents windows. They've seen the TV programmes at home, have been in Fuegirola 2 or 3 days, and already they are thinking of buying and moving to Spain! :D We've all seen people in forums like this, they are moving to Spain, and almost as an afterthought, they ask about jobs and schools!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Out of genuine interest as its never been properly explained to me, why do the British always complain about the weather?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Some good points Benidorm. I have also been seduced by travel articles only to visit and wonder if I had gone to the wrong place!

Many go in search to find the "real Spain" only to frequent local Brit places, open up a card shop etc. They use a Brit agent who has probably been there about 6 months and hardly any spanish vocabulary. They don't research the area they intend to buy being driven only by budget. Then they are suprised to find themselves in a calle inhabited by Gypsies, a few illiterate oldies, or even worse drug addicts.

Wherever you live in the world you still have the same personality too, if noise bothered you in the UK you can't brush it under the carpet and say "this is Spain"!

The spelling...other peoples stand out like a sore thumb on here but I rarely notice my own mistakes (until it is too late). Don't seem to have a problem writing with a pen but I think I have a communication problem between my fingers and brain. :oops:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Faire d'Income,
'Why do the British always complain about the weather'....
.Well I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that the weather is so changeable in UK, it is very difficult to plan any outdoor events, even simple things , like a barbecue..Even going for a walk, my Wife 'dithers' at the front door, and always says , 'I don't know if I should take my umbrella', and invariably gets it wrong !....
But to be fair, I've got Australian friends who live in UK and they complain about the weather also...And it is not restricted to Brits., most Northern Europeans also complain, and I've even heard my Spanish neighbours complain about the weather being too hot or cold....So there ! ! :wink:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Sure, but when they go to Spain they start complaining about the heat which seems crazy to me. We've had comments in our visitor's book in Spain complaining that it was too hot - well for *beep* sake, don't go to Spain in the middle of summer then.

:cry:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Faire Comment ! !..... :lol:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:36 pm

We've own a number of properties in different parts of Spain for almost 20 years now, I would say in all honesty that it's not as good as it used to be, but it's still a very good place to be if you can afford to be here without financial pressure, ie you own, or can afford to rent and don't need an income.
Ah! the full english!!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Katy, we seem to be in the 'Gypsy' quarter of our little town, and they put me to shame!

Forever cleaning, they all seem to work, going out at very early hours, and in the small square, there could be washing hanging off the railings plus a horse tethered.

It certainly is never boring, everyone speaks, and the children actually play out!

Most are renovating their houses, but few seem to move, as they are quite happy to live amongst all their relations, I am never sure whose kids belong to who, as they are in and out of each others houses all the time, and everyone seems to accept another child.

Makes me think of my childhood actually, and if one of them steps out of line, they get a swift clip around the ear. Great!

Heston
Resident

is anywhere perfect

Postby Heston » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Some good points Benidorm...I kind of think moving to Spain and making a success is down to a few things..you get out what you put in, if you have the drive and ambition to be successful you will be..know you limitations for example ( exagerated of course) if you werent a brain surgeon in the UK your not going to be one here!! So many people move out here and do things completely different than they did in the UK and good luck if it works but dont moan if you suddenly find youself out of your depth because its something completely alien to you and you dont speak the language.
I know I am never going to be a perfect size ten so I just make the best of what I have got!!

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:25 pm

What is even more important, know where is perfect for you!
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 am

I am moving to Spain in about 12-18 months time. Because I am a Salesman and have been all my life, I have decided that learning to speak Spanish fluently in my number one priority if I want to work in sales.
I am now taking 4 hours of one-to-one Spanish lessons each week with the aim of being "comfortable" with the language in a years time.

What do the forum members think of this approach?

The other option was to set aside a portion of the funds from the sale of my house in Dublin and not work for 12 months on arrival but to join a language institute and learn locally in Spain on an intensive course for about 6-8 months.

Would this be a better option?

Regards
Hiker.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

dubliner74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dubliner74 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:25 pm

howya hiker

have you heard of the the Instituto Cervantes in Lincoln Place, D2?

we're learning Spanish there at the moment, I can highly recommend the place and when you join you have access to the library - learning material, DVD's books etc.

http://dublin.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm

they have all sorts of courses, thet have one that is 3 hours a night, 5 nights a week even!

If you want my tuppence worth, learn as much Spanish as you can before moving to Spain, we're considering moving over next year(although we plan to work in Gibraltar and live in Spain as our Spanish wouldn't be good enough to work in Spain) it just makes sense to learn as much as you can - it'll make things easier for you

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi Hiker,
check out the dialects! They speak almost a different language in Andalucia! (Its a bit like someone learning to speak english and then meeting Jackie Healy-Rae :lol: ). I would go for the total immersion in Spain with local lessons - available through many town halls.
You will learn correct spanish language and grammar in the Insituto Cervantes, but then any 5 or 6 year old child can make themselves perfectly well undersood and doesn't know (nor need to know) the difference beween the preterito and condicional conjugations :?

p.s. working in sales makes it even easier, you don't need to know if what you are saying is true or not :shock: (only joking!)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Colinm wrote:Hi Hiker,
check out the dialects! They speak almost a different language in Andalucia!
You´re not wrong! :D I speak with quite a few on skype, and I was talking to someone last night from Asturias, and he told me I had a slight andalucian accent! I was mortified! It´s an awful accent! Especially someone from Sevilla, Cádiz, Huelva etc. very difficult to understand. You´re right about correct Spanish, all the language schools employ a fairly neutral accent. I have heard the teachers outside school, and they often revert to their natural accent, but once in the class, it´s different.
I think the guy is setting himself quite a hard task to be completely proficient in so short of time, but the 6-8 months in a language school sounds a good idea, if you can do it. I personally have only ever done a couple of 2 week courses, and I used to feel brain dead coming out of the school! :D
Something that will not be a waste of time, is to try and immerse yourself in as much Spanish as you can. You can get TVE1 on Sky, plus the European News in Spanish. Doesn't matter if you don't understand it all, you'll pick up the pronunciation, the style of speaking. Try some podcasts, there are loads of free ones available on the net, I can give you some addresses if you wish. They come with transcripts, so easy to follow. Try reading Spanish papers on line, again there are loads available.
I wish you luck, it's "doable" but involves a lot of work. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

dubliner74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dubliner74 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:05 pm

The accent in Andalucia is a bit strange - the way they leave the 's' off at the end i.e tre instead of tres or adio instead of aidos(when speaking).
had me confused for a day or 2 until I got used to it.

another tip I got from my Spanish teacher is to watch any DVD's you have and select the Spanish language option instead of just watching it in English, you'll of already seen the film, maybe more than once, so you'll have a fair idea what is going on and listening and getting used to Spanish at the same time.

Chrissie
Resident

NO Where is Perfect

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:03 pm

This is a really good audio magazine (bi-monthly). It's aimed at advanced speakers, but if you take it slowly it should be OK. I think they'll send you a sample to try.

http://www.champs-elysees.com/products/ ... fault.aspx

I truly believe you should try to learn Spanish with a 'good' accent - ie Castellano, and then adopt the Andaluz one if you wish later. It's impossible to unlearn the regional accent later and if you move to a different area Andaluz could be a liability (particularly in sales) :lol:
Good luck
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future