Help needed about Martos in Jaen province

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
mikeinspain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikeinspain » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:21 pm

Hello everyone,
Can anyone help with this as I just cant find any information on what the general climate conditions are like in Martos ( near Jaen ) especially during the winter months. It is a really nice area and I have been there several times to look at properties and like it but not speaking spanish I cant find anything on the web regarding the climate conditions in the winter and was wondering what its like compared to surrounding areas.
People in the U.K seem only too happy to run down people who live in Spain and seem really happy when they know it rains there, I get a lot of negative replies from people from here in the U.K about Jaen and how id hate it, why do they have to be like this, one of the reasons I want to get out.

Any help wold be appreciated. Mike.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Mike,

don´t know about rain but its significantly colder there in the winter than on the coasts.....on the other hand it is still very sunny and a lovely general environment......try accessing the weather sites on internet and out in Jaen........Martos is too small I think

Try "tiempo invierno Jaen" on yahoo.es.......or "lluvia...."

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi there :)

I agree about the winters, but at least you don't get the day after day of dull damp weather :( Blue skies make a huge difference :D
Below is the Spanish meteorological office website - fairly straightforward even if you don't speak Spanish ..
http://www.inm.es/
And this is the daily weather for Martos....
http://www.inm.es/cgi-bin/locali.cgi?ig=23570
Also, if you go onto the Kyero.com website and search for properties in Martos you can then get a weather graph for the year.
Don't listen to those forecasters of doom in the UK :twisted: - they're just jealous :!:

Good luck
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Jennifer
Resident

Martos

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi,
I was working in Jaen until recently and traveled up from Alcala daily thru the winter, even when it snowed and the road was closed they had the snow plows out within 30 mins and the road (319) was open again, the only downside I came across was the chemical smell around Martos on certain days, there is a chemical plant near bye. Some great mountains close and some scenic drives/rides on the back roads
Regards
J

Jennifer
Resident

Martos

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi back again,
Just had a look thru my notes on the weather, I'm just south of Martos nr Alcala La Real at 840mts ,we had five weeks of great sun and warm days around Christmas, then it broke and it rained on and of for six weeks with cool winds, had three days of snow at the end of January . April it started to warm up with sunny days and then got very warm 37c for two weeks in July and didn't drop much at night, now its a pleasant 33c days and 18c nights. There is normally a breeze blowing so the temperatures don't feel as hot as the figures suggest .
A good wood burning stove will keep the rooms warm in winter.
The lowest winter temperatures I've seen in the last three winters is -2c
Must go now as we have a thunder storm coming over and need to get the computer off :-)
Regards
J

Heston
Resident

martos

Postby Heston » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Jennifer its not a chemical plant its an olive oil factory and at certain times of the year you can see the steam and there is a nice fruity smell in the area directly close to the Factory.

We had one day of snow this year which caused no problems at all and that was in February which really is the start of the winter weeks. Up here it is much cooler than the coast in the winter but much warmer in the Summer quite extreme somedays. It had just started to drop from the 40s two weeks ago but since yesterday its extremely muggy again and over 40 even the breeze is hot today.
Martos is a beautiful place which has a modern new town area and an a historic old town..yes can get chilly in the Winter and I live in the
mountains surrounding Martos but find a log burner in the evenings is all I need..Jan to March. Hope this helps Mike

Jennifer
Resident

Martos

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi,
Thanks for coming on and putting me right about the smell, it was over the olive season when I noticed it and did most of my driving in the dark evenings.
Have they completed the A316 Motorway extension past Martos ?
Regards
J

Heston
Resident

Martos

Postby Heston » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:59 pm

It does look like a chemical factory though from the road I should know I grew up in Widnes a Town affectionately naming its Rugby team The Chemics!!
No they are still working on the road not far off finishing now though and one of the exits into Martos that has been shut for months has now reopened...there has been a mega fiesta on since last Thurdsday so its been really busy!