UP IN THE MOUNTAINS OR RIGHT BY THE COAST?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Sol Searcher
Andalucia.com Amigo

UP IN THE MOUNTAINS OR RIGHT BY THE COAST?

Postby Sol Searcher » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:58 pm

HI ALL THIS IS MY 1ST TIME SO BE NICE! JUST SOLD OUR HOUSE AND HEADING TO ANDALUCIA ASAP! IS IT BEST TO BE REALLY CLOSE TO AMENITIES OR SET BACK UP IN THE MOUNTAINS? WAS LOOKING AT ALHAURIN! :?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Different strokes for different folks. It all depends on what you prefer.

Prices are much the same or marginally higher inland but you do have to be more careful about what you buy.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Prices are much cheaper inland here in Almeria and much less humid in the summer. If you look inland be aware that it's colder the higher up you are so don't go on top of a mountain :?
There are towns inland that offer plenty of life all year round, some coastal places are like ghost towns in winter.
Best to come and look for yourself.
Chris

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:13 am

I think you need to give a bit more information. There are pros and cons to each. Do you need to work? Will you need to look at schools for children?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:14 am

we bought 2 places, i for us on the coast which we love, the other inland for the inlaws. they love inland but it would not do for us. it is all about personal choice. i love to be on the coast but not in la la land. don't rush, it is a buyers msrket but the right places are still selling so if you find a place that ticks all the boxes go for it.

My only advice would be to have a good look around, you are not on holiday, this is for real.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:16 am

Would you term Alhaurin "right by the coast" or "up in the mountains"?!
And what do you mean by "amenities"?!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:47 pm

It all depends on what you want for your life in Spain. It is possible to find a quiet sport on or near the coast, and also possible to find noise and traffic jams inland. Alhaurin is only 20 mins ( allowing for traffic) from Malaga itself, has plenty of Brit restaurants and shops, but the bigger shops and more entertainment are closer to the Torremolinos / Benalmadena / Fuengirola coast. Public transport is more frequent nearer the coast, but summertime can be jammed with tourists. Swings & roundabouts. If you let the forum members know what you are looking for, environment, schools, transport etc., we can help with advice.

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Think about whether you want to be living in a village or town or out by yourselves in the campo. We were very clear about the fact that we wanted to be able to walk to local facilities such as the local shop, bars, restaurants and the bank. Are you happy to get into the car every time you need something or want to go anywhere?

Inland places can have more life all the year round and you might meet locals who live there more easily than you would in a coastal resort where there will be more tourists.

Travel around and stay in various places that appeal to you before making a final decision. Things can feel very different when you are living somewhere and not just on holiday.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:46 am

We live in a small pueblo blanco in the mountains. Although it has only a permanent population of 400, it has bars, a shop, a panaderia, doctor, post office and banking facilities and a school that the children can attend until they are 13.

The land is still worked with mules and traditional activities are carried out.

However, if you want the high life this would not be for you.

There are a few expats in our village but it is mainly Spanish and you would not find expats catered for.

Work is not very easy to come by, even for Spanish.

So it depends upon what you want. We would not want to live in a busy coastal resort and certainly nowhere near a golf course.

neilinalcaucin
Andalucia.com Amigo

we live inland

Postby neilinalcaucin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 pm

I am 33 , wife 30 , no children
We live inland on the side of a mountain. Nice village, some development but still nice. All ameneties are local but if i want big shops , beach, ten pin bowling etc its 20mins drive, theres a kids bus to schooling which i am told is free.
For us its perfect. I go running, mountain biking and a lake 5 mins away to windsurf etc nature park 5 mins drive and a tuff 20 mins bike.

We can always choose to visit the beach which we often do- more of an occasion but as many others say "it depends on you " you can live either or and get the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Good luck
Know you tried, effort always shows.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Which Lake and where do you get the wind for windsurfing????????
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:14 pm

Lake Viñuela often experiences strong winds. It's near Velez Málaga.