Should I rent - what about a job?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Gloria
Tourist

Postby Gloria » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum. My husband and I would like to move to Andalucia, but it will probably be in the next year to 18 months - unless either of us can get a job. I am a graphic layout designer and my husband has a double glazing company, but was a precision engineer.

I am also a qualified animal therapist - Acupressure, Kinesiology and Essential Oil Therapist for Animals. This is the area I would ultimately love to work in over there and hope that people are open to it.

I guess I just want some advice. We are learning Spanish and have just sold our house. Unless we can get jobs, we think we will have to stay in the UK for a while. When we move out to Andalucia, do you think we should rent for a while or buy straight away.

Also, any other advice anyone can give me - I really mean anything!!

Gloria

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Gloria,
Welcome to the forum :D
I would definitely think of renting first. The type and availability of work will also depend on where you decide to settle, renting will at least keep your options open and give you the chance to research various regions of Andalucia. Do you have any ideas as to where you might like to settle :?:
There are plenty of people on this forum who I'm sure will come up with lots of suggestions for you. :D
Good luck with everything...........
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Gloria
Tourist

Postby Gloria » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for getting back to me. The short answer is no! I would like to settle in an area that is a bit inland, preferably with some grass - not sure if that is possible in Andalucia. I have two Golden Retrievers so I am trying to think of somewhere that does not have the intense heat you find on the coast.

From this, you will probably realise that I have only been to 'holiday resorts'. I am hoping that we can get over there in November and check out one or two areas, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Gloria

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi Gloria
Best of luck....but remember that the 'intense heat' is INLAND.....not on the coast! Generally speaking, it is hotter in summer and colder (much) in winter inland....having said that, I much prefer living inland to the touristy coast! And yes, we do have grass...if only for six or seven months of the year!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:42 pm

I think your animal therapies would go down a treat in areas like Marbella where there are lots of Brits with money to spend.
If you were to go inland to a more Spanish area, I think you would be considered rather strange!

Gloria
Tourist

Postby Gloria » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi Marina

Thank you for your information, it is really helpful.
By the way, most people probably think I am rather strange!
However, you only need to prove yourself once - the great thing with animal therapy is that you either help or not - there is no way you can talk an animal into thinking it is feeling better.

Regards
Gloria

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:08 pm

There are already some Animal therapists around (wouldn't you know it!). The Living in Spain TV programme has one on.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 pm

I agree with the other poster who says cater for British expats - Spaniards especially but also other Europeans would not dream of spending money on animals for something like therapy.

So therefore I would suggest something near the coast - preferably west of Malaga.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:09 pm

scampicat wrote:but also other Europeans would not dream of spending money on animals for something like therapy.
This one wouldn't that's for sure! :( ¡Ni un céntimo!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:13 am

Hi Gloria

I agree with Chrissie about renting first - that's what we did, although we finally bought a property in the village, but at the time, we didn't want to burn our bridges, so still have property in the UK that we rent.

If you are a graphic layout designer, could you not bring your 'clients' with you to Spain and work from here? It would probably be a more viable option than the animal therapist thought, judging by other comments on the forum? I work quite happily for a UK company here in Spain and all the work is sent via email and a lot of it is website work also.

Personally, my choice would be to look inland because of the prices of properties and the friendliness of the Spanish locals and neighbours, but each to their own. But as tjtops said, it is very, very hot inland in the summer and very cold in the winter (and I agree with him that I prefer living inland)!! We have lived here for 2 and a half years, nowhere near retirement, with a 12 year old son and have never looked back. I suppose we have been one of the few lucky ones.

Wish you well in your search for your ideal place.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:53 am

Hotter inland in summer...cooler inland in winter. Inland has a much better quality of life, so move inland and buy an air-con unit.

Prices inland are much cheaper than the coast, but it depends on how far inland you want to go. Within half an hour, the prices are only slightly less. Move 40 minutes away and there are bargains galore. I take it you've looked at the kyera site? They have prices for buying and long lets and they cover all of Spain.

Best of luck.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Inland has a much better quality of life,
Forgive me, but that is a pretty silly statement.

It might be better for you, but it certainly would not be for me and many others. I like the quality of life I have here on the coast, so don't try and impose your opinions on me.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:42 pm

Get real mate. Who's trying to impose anything on you? I was responding to a poster who mentioned it was hotter inland in summer & colder inland in winter. I agreed & suggested air-con to counteract these problems. When I said inland had a better quality of life, perhaps I should have been more specific and said it was better for me. Someone is asking for opinions or suggestions & that is what I gave...my opinion.

You prefer the coast...fine by me. I wouldn't respond to you and say it was a siñlly statement, so lighten up.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:56 pm

I gave...my opinion.
Always happy to accept an opinion; you made a statement and I reacted as I get a bit fed up with the inland is better than the coast brigade.

Yours in lightness

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm with you on that one Alan,

The only trouble with moving inland (or other downmarket areas) is that the aircon unit will probably cost you more than the house, ex goat/chicken shed aka bargain property :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:56 pm

Message to Alan and Retro..........Message to Alan and Retro..........

I'll start again. If you like the coast, go to the coast. If you like inland go inland. If you see what it says beside my name I am in search of a garage. I live in a village & my house is up a load of steps where no cars are allowed.

My house is also up for sale as I hope to move to the coast! It is obvious I should be pushing how good it is inland, so I can attract more potential buyers. There...hope I've cleared THAT up. :wink:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:58 pm

ps to Retro.......

My "downmarket village" houses are more expensive than the coast. Fancy a swap?

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:19 pm

Mowser, hope you noticed my three smileys, it was tongue in cheek, mostly, glad to see you have a sense of humour, welcome to the forum, personally I'm very happy with my house but I don't like my new neighbours, I know for sure that one of them is a cokehead, he's renting from a german who I know is not paying tax so I might have to do something about that,
I am actually thinking of moving east of Malaga and a little inland! not too far though as Iwill become a pariah :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Hello retro P. Yep..I saw the smilies. That's the trouble with here. You can have a great house then the neighbours from hell move in. I had that problem 2 years ago, but after a bit of gentle persuasion (threat), things are now fine and a better neighbour you couldn't meet. A friend of mine is having serious problems but stupidly she went to a lawyer. This can take ages. If you go to the ayuntamiento and ask for the juez de la paz, it can be sorted out in a matter of days.

The best thing of course is to contact the owner. Most don't pay tax on the rentals, so if you say you'll get in touch with hacienda to make a complaint, it concentrates the mind. Catch you later.

ps...no offence taken..life's too short.

pps...spent 3 days in Marbella earlier this year. I found a great Austrian restaurant, but then the drink took over so I've no idea where it is except it's a 2 minute walk from a great Indian restaurant near the harbour. Don't ask me which harbour, but it's near a Dutch bar with a piano in it.

See me? See directions. Mr Google is what I am.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:04 am

Was it by any chance Luiks in Puerto Banus??
Ah! the full english!!