really dont know what to do for the best........

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
*rach*
Tourist

really dont know what to do for the best........

Postby *rach* » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 am

i moved out to spain in august with my hub and son.things did nt work out with him so i returned to the uk with my son.i hate being back in uk and my little8yr old keeps on about returning, so,we have decided to move back(on our own)which makes life a little easier as hubby can help with his daddy duties and my son will be able to spend time with him.but, not really sure the area i want to go, he lives in coin,so i dont want to move there,ive been looking at rented property in Alhaurin EG and down on the coast around calahonda.i need to be around other brits to make new freinds for both mself and my son.im stuck on my decision as i have schooling to think about and of course work for me.i am a hairdresser and was hoping to either try and get a job in a salon or start off with mobile....again comes down to which area,so i thought id just get some advice...

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:31 am

Hi Rach,

Most hairdressers on the coast do not employ you as such, you have to be self employed and you pay them a percent of each client for using their salon. So no clients no pay, they will also want the hairdressers with most clients working in their salon, bit of a rat race really.

The best would be to go mobile until you have built a good strong clientelle, then look at salons. You can then say you have approx so many clients a week. Not sure what cut the salons take but a hairdresser friend stopped hairdressing as they were taking 50% of each cut to cover their overheads. She only does privates now and works in a different industry alltogether.

Good luck in your quest......
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 pm

*rach*

A broken relationship, two months in Spain now in the UK you want to return but have no idea about earning money, where to live or about schools for your 8 year old.

This to me reads as 'head in bits grabbing at straws', please prove me wrong as it sounds like a disaster in the making.
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Dealer,
Clearly your 'sabbatical' from ADC has made you a much wiser man. :D .......or is it all the good influence of the new Mrs Dealer-to-be :idea: :wink:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:41 pm

laclotte wrote:is it all the good influence of the new Mrs Dealer-to-be :idea: :wink:
I woke up one morning and had a realisation :!:

I realised that a man is not complete until he is married!

Then he is finished, totally and utterly finished so..............
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

*rach*
Tourist

Postby *rach* » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:20 pm

i know it sounds like 'head in bits' but i can assure you its not.i did alot of planning before we sold up and moved over.suppose really was just after opinion of people about living on the coast rather than inland,and what either areas were like for us to live on our own.i also have a brother and cousin over there too,where as in uk no family.i intend to settle my son first before finding work either as i said in salon or for myself,having a trade i thought was always a good thing.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am

Rach-I too am a hairdresser,I have a 12 year old son-he goes to Spanish school.
I would suggest that you do go self employed-the spanish children have so much time off in the summer(3 months)and lots of odd days off in between.I think you would find it very difficult being on your own,and working in a salon too,and also trying to find extra money to pay for childcare.The wages in a spanish salon,are not terribly good.
Where i live the Spanish hairdressing wholesalers sell a great range of schwarzkopf /wella colours,(the nice assistant even gave me a colour chart for free),peroxides.etc.same as what you can buy in UK.
I have never advertised,just got some cards printed up, all my clients have been word of mouth.All are British.I can suit myself when i work,and if i want to work on Saturdays i do.
In the holidays my son comes with me.and most of the clients now(i have been doing their hair that long)are my friends anyway.so they dont mind if he comes too!
If you go and work by yourself-you have no one to answer to,work whatever times you want to suit,you can charge what you want,and its a great way of meeting people.I would say go for it!
P M me if you need to ask anything else-will be happy to help you.
P.Peach. :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:17 am

Ian wrote
[quote]The best would be to go mobile until you have built a good strong clientelle, then look at salons[quote]

Rach-why on earth would you want to spend all your time"building up "your clientelle, working mobile-to then go and find a salon-rent a chair and have them take away most of your profit-No way :shock:
If you have managed to build them up yourself..YOU KEEP EM!!!.. :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:10 pm

I Have replied your pm Rach.x

cool breeze
Tourist

Postby cool breeze » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Rach - You have a highly portable trade/profession which is flexible for you Son's school holidays etc, and some family in Spain; follow your instincts......
PS the weather is better in Spain too :)
If you don't have dreams how can you expect them to come true?