New life in Spain

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:32 pm

We originally used someone doing private rentals/estate agency that we found when we were still in the UK. It was not a good experience. Over-priced, misleading, and dangerous.

We did this because my partner wanted to have something sorted. But the reality is that if you arrive out of season you can find something.

A totally legit agency that we used, and would recommend, is Terrasol in Torre del Mar. They took us round a number of flats, and when we found one we liked, we went back in the evening and paid a month up front. The price included all bills including butano (bottled butane gas) which was delivered whenever you told them you needed a new one. Also laundry of sheets and towels was included.

But once you get into a place you can find cheaper - although not the same level of service or security. You take your choice. Be warned, property in Spain is not cheap, whether rented or bought. Do be careful before you leap.

Karmen
Tourist

Postby Karmen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:33 am

Be warned, property in Spain is not cheap, whether rented or bought. Do be careful before you leap. Palmtrees

Cheap is a bad word to use - value for money - or not as the case may be. Would you really want to live in a CHEAP house, I have visions of mortar falling from between the brickwork, windows that wobble, doors that don't close as they should!!!

My parents have a property on the coast which has trebled in value since they bought it. VALUE now there's another word, 'value' is something that someone puts on an object worth is more of a correct term however there are so many for sale in the same area of a similar description whether they would actually get treble what they paid is still to be seen, whether they are worth treble well that's another story.

Value for money to me, is when you actually receive something that you are entirely happy with for the price you have paid, it's worth it.

You can still get value for money, inland but you do have to look for it gone are the days when people approach you with a bargin, you now have to hunt them down; or get a good agent to work on your behalf, preferably one that can speak the language.

Not usually this outspoken this early in the morning, must be something i ate :?

Karmen
Fred & Wilma - you ain't seen nothing yet!!!
I LOVE MY CAVE

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 am

Georgina,
A lot of good advice already given to you by forum members, with regard to renting property etc......My advice would be to concentrate on a town/area, which has all the facilities that you are looking for, then contact all agents in the area to see what they have on their books....Many agents who normally only sell houses, will probably have some rentals available, and obviously , if they think that you might be buying a property from them in the near future, I'm sure that they will look after you....You could of course try to rent privately, but beware there are some shrewd private landlords around, and their only interest will be for you to continue to rent from them. :wink: For renting I would advise you to work with the local agents, I'm sure that you will soon find something suitable....Try to get as short a rental period as possible, it may cost a little more , but then you are not 'tied' in to a long contract.....
Good Luck..... :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 pm

silver wrote: There are 2.000.000 foreigner legally working in Spain ( and a lot more illegal workers)...so it is possible to get a job..but Spain also has about 9% unemployed ...
theres 2 million foreigners over here working ... as well as all the spanish workers... and those working legally...

and ONLY 9% unemployed?

are they all in alhaurin cos i know at least 100 people that dont work ?