Buying and Selling stories

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Buying and Selling stories

Postby katy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Has anyone got any strange or funny stories about buying or selling in andalucia?

When we were selling the last house a viewing was going quite well. Last part was the pool and garden area. As we walked around a rat as big as a cat came out from underneath the conifers and walked towards the pool. In 2 seconds flat my dog grabbed it in the neck and killed it. he did it so quickly that he looked as if he had been killing them forever! First rat we had seen...they didn't buy!

When we bought this house it took the owners 2 days to move the furniture and they complained because I changed the locks when we left the notary!..They also left all the light fittings (very ornate and grotty) and left stickers on the ones they were going to come back for. We had to remove them all and stored them in the basement. After a year I gave them to an animal charity. A few months later they came back for them. They also left a pan of curry in the oven!

Campo Kenny

Re: Buying and Selling stories

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Honest to god.............our luck is just like that :lol:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:57 am

Similar to yours, the owners of my house left it full of furniture etc, most of which I spent ages ferrying to the tip. Six months after I´d bought the house, the previous owner turned up on the doorstep asking when she could come to collect her stuff... :roll:

Then there was the viewing of a house...we were barred from entering one room...because granny had just died and was laid out in there.... :shock:

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:12 am

We bought our very first house in SA - a couple had split up and he was selling the house. It all started to go wrong when we said ‘no thank you’ to his request that we take over his 2 Great Dane dogs….they were the size of horses :shock:
When we finally took occupation of the house he parked his car in the garage, filled to the brim with his worldly possessions and himself and refused to move :!: It took quite some ‘persuading’ from our lawyer to get him out of the garage. No wonder his wife dumped him :wink: :wink:
The house was a number 13 on the street and we vowed, after that experience, never again to buy another number 13 :roll:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 am

We entered into the old Moorish village with some trepidation, the decaying pueblo houses looked dark and damp..
.Then we came to the house that we were viewing that day, the owner was waiting for us outside the huge double front door......it was adorned with two huge knockers......good point I thought.......I like huge knockers.......
We entered into the gloomy hallway, and immediately my nostrils were attacked by a strange smell.....a bit like entering into a badly kept old peoples home....
The owner then explained that the house was his 'family home', and his Father had just died and the family had decided to sell it...
We entered into the 'front room', to be greeted by a small group of solemn faced people, his brothers and sisters, the owner explained...So then the guided tour started and I followed the procession of inlaws, I was last in the queue, as usual.....We had started to climb the stairs when I glanced behind me, there was now another old man in the procession,and I thought to myself that he would be another relative or a nosy neighbour.....
We then looked at 4 bedrooms with the usual chrome art deco beds, placed everywhere, it looked somewhat like a fallout shelter, or a mini immigration centre....
At the entrance to each bedroom all of the inlaws 'crossed' themselves...which was a bit worrying....so at the last bedroom I joined them 'crossing' myself....just in case......
Then we climbed another set of stairs, and entered a large room, devoid of furniture, except for a large wooden cross, on the wall.....The inlaw procession now walked around the large room and exited quickly, without a word being spoken...as I was about to leave , the huge cross fell from the wall, smashing into small pieces on the floor...At this point all of the inlaws ran towards the stairs in 'Titanic' fashion and I followed them ...quickly..
.When I arrived back downstairs in the front room, I noticed that the old man , who had been behind me on the tour , was no longer there...
So I enquired who the old man was, who had followed me, and the owner asked me to describe him, which I did...At this point one of the inlaw ladies fainted, and everyone else started crying...I had just described their recently departed Father..! !
Needless to say...we didn't buy the house.......True story...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:01 pm

BENIDORM :lol: :lol: :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Just in process of having all lower mouth implants and these stories almost had me bursting my stitches so funny :lol:

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:36 pm

Did anyone see the Jack Rosenthal play "The Chain"

It was about number of people moving up the housing ladder with all the problems it brings.

But the clever twist was that it wasn't just a one way ladder, because the wealthy man at the top, who was terminaly ill, was moving back to the property at the bottom of the ladder, which was his child hood home and he wanted to spend his last days there.

Brilliant

Another good one of his was "The Knowledge" about a group of people trying to learn all the streets of London to gain their taxi drivers liscence.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:45 pm

We were taken to see a few village houses and I soon realised that most of the 'bathrooms' were downstairs/outside
After being taken into one and after many hola's to all the large family, the owner took us to the back terrace and flung open a door to an outbuilding and proudly showed us the bathroom.
Unfortunately a young boy of about 12 was standind in the bath drying himself , he wasn't in the least bothered to be seen starkers by 2 foreigners but I was mortified and never did see the bathroom properly.

Ironically we bought another house 3 doors away, and the afore mentioned house was demolished and a fabulous new one has just been finished. It now has 3 bathrooms , all inside and it still belongs to the original owners.

This, by the way, was a terraced house and yes, it was bulldozed right through, which seems to be the norm around here.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:00 pm

laclotte - i know what you mean about the number 13 - we bought one and a year and a half later the mother in law moved in for the next 18 years. How unlucky is that? :cry: