Searching for a dream trying to aviod a nightmare.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
blusher
Tourist

Searching for a dream trying to aviod a nightmare.

Postby blusher » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi
To all we are a couple in our 50’s who over the next few years are planning our retirement, and have just signed up to this forum and would appreciate some help, is the system in Spain similar to the French where the property for sale can be bought direct from a Notaire? Thus cutting out inflated estate agents prices and fees (if so any recommended contact details would be most welcome via pm if the advertising is a problem) We have a budget of around £25,000 , no strangers to hard work and are looking for a rural restoration project. We have trip planned for mid January to take a look around any hints and tips on where to find this kind of property would be gratefully received.
Kind Regards
Kate and Gwen

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:50 pm

First of all, welcome to the Forum :-)

As far as your queries go, I am not aware of any such system operating in Spain - as far as I know, you either buy direct from the owner or through the agency of some sort of estate agent. Whichever you choose, make sure you sign nothing and pay nothing without the services of a competent legal adviser!!!

Your budget looks to me as though it "might" buy a complete ruin somewhere in the sticks - did you have any locality in mind?

Gus

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:17 pm

When Gus says 'a competent legal advisor' be aware that these are as rare as hens teeth.
Grouser

blusher
Tourist

Looking for a dream

Postby blusher » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Gus/Grouser
Thanks for the reply, “we are ruin in the sticks” people not to worried about mains electricity, mains water is nice but not essential. We are looking for winter warmth clean air and good views somewhere inland between Cadiz and Almeria. If you have details of 'a competent legal advisor' even a decent Estate Agent. please forward them. All information gratefully received .
regards
Kate

Chrissie
Resident

Searching for a dream

Postby Chrissie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi Kate and Gwen,
Welcome to the forum :D

If you speak Spanish you would definitely get more for your money by cutting out the middle man and going straight to the vendor. But, as Gus says, it's essential to have a good gestor or abogado.
As regards areas to look: Cadiz to Almeria is HUGE :!:
Though the further inland you go the cheaper it becomes - and you have the added advantage of free tapas in some areas :lol: (see previous threads on this contentious subject)
How long were you intending to spend looking? The longer the better and if you find an area you like then try and make some good local contacts who'll let you know when anything interesting comes up.
Good luck in the search. I know you'll get loads of help from the members of the forum.
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Wouldn't it be kinder to give some realistic replies. Winter warmth...it doesn't exist, especially in something that costs 25,000 GBP. You will probably get 4 rough stone walls and a leaking roof (if there is a roof!). No matter how far inland you go you will be fortunate to buy a decent plot of land let alone something habitable. Sounds like someone has been watching the old TV programmes again :roll:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Ruin

Postby Julie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:13 pm

On this occasion , I haveto agree with you :!:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:26 pm

I have to say Katy has hit the nail on the head here.

A request for "winter warmth" coupled with a cheap, inland property just does not compute. Inland property can certainly be cheaper than on the coast but.................it is b###dy cold inland in the winter.

A site to visit, which has some of the cheaper, inland properties on show is andaluciadashproperty.net. It might open your eyes to what is, and is not, available in your price range. If you do make contact with this site then ask for Charles :-)

Gus

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:36 pm

I know its a first Katy, but like Julie, I, on this occasion, agree wholeheartedly with you.

Kate and Gwen - you really need to do the very basic groundwork first, i.e. look at a few websites, to really get an idea of what 25,000GBP WONT buy you, before you even start to have a wish list of mains water, etc!!
Good Luck with what you decide to do.
Regards

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:13 pm

25 Grand?

If only. Ojala.

We originally started looking (many years ago) at spending 40 grand. We spent more. If you find something at 25 I will be very interested.

There is 7,500 square meters going for sale locally. With permission to build, allegedly, of course. I think it rings in at 156,000 Euros. Nice views to the sea, and apparently finca rights.

Does anyone seriously know of a decent property at 25 grand?

I'm another one with Katy on this, off to scratch head and mutter 25 grand, 25 grand?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 pm

You can pick up property still for 25000 pounds, about 38000 euros (?) but you will get no more than a small village/townhouse needing complete restoration (i.e. you will need to spend the same again on it) in Jaen province, maybe just maybe in remote areas of Granada/Cordoba/Almeria provinces. But you won´t get winter warmth I´m afraid.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:55 pm

I am with you there hilly. We spent £38,500 a couple of years ago and are spending £50,000 to make it habitable. No mains electricity. No mains water.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:31 am

Without trying to rain on your parade have you considered any other options? Do you have a property in the UK that you can cash in to buy a property and retire to Spain? Have you thought about where a property for 25K, if you can find one, might be located ie in the middle of nowhere. Another option could be buying either a static home or a motorhome for 25K. A lot less work and you could start holidaying straight away. :idea:

blusher
Tourist

Negative Waves

Postby blusher » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:44 am

So many replies thank you !
We have of course done some ground work, no we are not expecting to find much more than four walls and a leaking roof out in the sticks, I am not a fool viewing the world through rose tinted specs (with A Place In The Sun Eyes) We are renovating and converting a large 200 year old barn in the Limousin, France in to a five bed home, and are doing all of the work our selves including installing the septic tank ,drains and the rest of the plumbing , installing new joists and laying floors, guttering and roofing, windows. We gladly paid for the expertise of our architect to obtain the necessary permissions. She was recommended to us by folks on the “frenchentree” forum there is nothing better than personal recommendations especially when it is supplied by Brits who are not so easily pleased!
We are not going to be turning up in January with a towel in one hand and a bottle of factor 30 in the other, if the temperature makes it into double digits with less rain than the UK we will be happy. Please stop with the Negative Waves I am hoping that you folks will share your local knowledge with us and point us in the direction of an interesting hovel or two in your region and pass on details of “trusted” Legal Advisors and the like who have served you well.

Regards
Kate

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:57 am

Perhaps if your last post had been your first post you might have avoided the other eleven and gotten the type of information you were looking for.

blusher
Tourist

Wise Words

Postby blusher » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:14 am

Bob
Valid point noted and accepted
Regards
Kate

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:53 am

I am not a fool viewing the world through rose tinted specs

You'll stand out from the crowd here then!!! :D :lol:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:58 pm

An alternative view: take your 25k (around 32.000€, this week), invest it in a high-interest account, and rent a country property - you should get something in the outback that is finished and comfy for around 200€ per month? That gives you all the leisure time you need, with no hassles about legal/illegal builds, licences, dodgy lawyers and so on.
If you really are set on buying, please take no notice of the folk that say "other costs" come to about 10% - that is only true if it is 10% of 200,000 plus - GBP! The only good side to the current property price drop is that you can look for a desperate seller - someone who has to return to the UK for health or family reasons for example, and offer them around half what they are asking.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 pm

peteroldracer wrote:look for a desperate seller - someone who has to return to the UK for health or family reasons for example, and offer them around half what they are asking.
Surely a bit harsh Peter. Cashing in on other peoples misfortunes?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:25 pm

So you are charitable enough to pay twice what you could have, out of sympathy? :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.