water flood damage

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
cruella
Andalucia.com Amigo

water flood damage

Postby cruella » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:56 am

Hello ,
I am on the point of finalising the purchase of an appartement in the neighbourhood of Sabinillas , 1st line .
During the awful bad weather last weekend some appartements in the community were heavily damaged , not mine fortunately .
My question now is , is this normal that this building suffered that much of the water and are there many other communities in this sad case or should this be attributed to a construction failure ?

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:48 am

Whereabouts in Sabinillas? I know Los Granados have been flooded several times. We can have a lot of rain at this time of the year. I have lived in Sabinillas for 7 years and for the first time I was flooded last Friday. The rain was exceptionally heavy. We would have been flooded again on Saturday but we got some sandbags and a water pump. A lot of properties were flooded.
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:17 pm

There have been bad storms and heavier rainfall than usual lately all along the Costa Del Sol, but the build quality generally is poor anyway. We have had water damage again this year, due to a leak from the Atico terrace above us ( a repeat of two years ago ) The Spanish developers lay tiles with cement grout which will quickly pit and allow water seepage. It seems that silcon type grout is too expensive. Only our apartment is affected in the building this time so it a question of luck and wind direction. :cry:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:34 pm

We had a leaking roof terrace once and got in a spanish builder who stripped out all the old grout, brushed it out then added some (what looked like) tiny polystyrene type balls, powder I think and then some water. Apparently the water is absorbed by the balls and these bond to the tiles and after a few days create a water tight seal........we did not believe it would work when seeing it installed, but we never had a leak again.......

Sorry I don´t know what its called - the other option is to use grout that is classified as impermeable and for swimming pools as this seems to work the same way...

cruella
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cruella » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 am

The problem in the building we are looking at to me seems that the water stays on the terraces as it has no real way out because of the way the terraces are constructed .This means you may have water damage even if your terace is ok but not the other terraces above or next to your appartment .
Could the fact you risk water damage each time it rains heavily not be used as a hidden failure in the construction in order to cancel the purchase or in order to oblige the promotor to arrange this ?

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:54 pm

We are now claiming from the building insurance stating that the drainage system from the terrace above is not working because the tiles are not laid correctly. They should be laid at an angle so as to direct water down a drain or the overflow outlet. I will let everyone know the outcome. The build quality on this urbanisation is sub-standard in the opinion of English builder friends who were visiting.

julian
Andalucia Guru

work

Postby julian » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:20 pm

"The build quality on this urbanisation is sub-standard in the opinion of English builder friends who were visiting."
I have never met a tradesman who doesn´t criticise the work of everyone else in the same trade,all builders reckon they are the world´s only decent builders and that anything that wasn´t done by themselves is sub-standard.

festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

And not only builders!

Postby festival » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:35 pm

And not only builders! hairdressers are the same with comments like O M G who did this!