What constitutes a Pensioner?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
PlinyTheElder
Tourist

What constitutes a Pensioner?

Postby PlinyTheElder » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:40 am

Many of the articles offering advice on the paperwork and admin necessary for a new resident differentiate between pensioners and non pensioners. I am a pensioner in that I am in receipt of a company pension but I am only 60. Does anybody know what rules apply to the medical services etc?

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 am

A pensioner is usually someone in receipt of a state pension, i.e. 60 for women and 65 for men, although these ages are shortly to change.

If you are receiving a state pension you are "in the system" as you have a social security number, then you can claim healthcare in Spain.

Money received from a company pension is counted as earned income, or so I am led to believe. El Cid is the person with all the knowledge on this one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:23 pm

You will not be considered to be a Pensionista in Spain until you reach 65 as that is the age when you will get a UK state pension. A personal or company pension does not qualify you as a pensioner in either country.

Women in the UK get a pension at 60 so will be considered a Pensionista at 60 in Spain even though the Spanish retirement age is 65 for both sexes.

If your wife is a UK pensioner you will be entitled to all the normal Spanish health benefits as a dependant even though you have not yet reached 65.

Sid

PlinyTheElder
Tourist

Thanks from the aged

Postby PlinyTheElder » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Thank you for your replies. It seems I will have to wait awhile before I have a place under the tree that all villages seem to have for the seriously retired. Perhaps I will use the time to practice waiving walking sticks at the youth and playing dominoes! Thanks again.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:04 pm

ME!