leaving debt in UK behind...

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
ch86
Tourist

leaving debt in UK behind...

Postby ch86 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi there...

I am planning to move out to Spain this year, unfortunately I have about 10k of debt in my name in credit cards and loans, and thinking of just 'doing a runner'....

I basically want to know whether its safe to do so? Or will this come back on me in Spain?

andymc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby andymc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:44 pm

Good question lol :D
Even better question, can they make you sell your Spanish house to pay towards your debt

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:56 pm

i know, why dont you take out a second mortgage on your house for say, 50 grand... do a runner, and then give me 10 for thinking of it ;)

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:58 pm

I suppose it depends on whether you let them have your new address.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 pm

i dont know about uk to spain but i know a guy who left spain without paying his taxes and within 3 months of moving back to the uk he had a bill in the post demanding he pay plus interest. does that answer your question? He was traced very quickly but i suppose if you are renting and dont have money in a bank they would struggle to get you to pay.

I dont want to know your business but if you cant afford to pay your bills in the uk you may struggle over in Spain to get a living.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:38 pm

Well you've spent the money so just pay it back and bite the bullet, too many people just try to spend and forget it'll only catch you up if you have to live back in the UK and for a poxy 10k its not worth the hassle.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Spanish_lad said...

"why dont you take out a second mortgage on your house for say, 50 grand"

have you not heard of the credit crunch ?. looks like he has already conned the banks once.

anyroads

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 pm

I know of 2 people who have had money taken out of their Spanish Bank Accounts by the Hacienda for the UK Taxman. One of whose bank account was frozen and his car had an embargo on it. If you want to have bank accounts and buy cars etc out here you need an NIE no and then you are traceable.

Someone else I know has had money taken out of his account for speeding fines. It is very hard to be anonymous over here unless you have plenty of cash and then you cant use it for large purchases!
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:44 pm

Why not speak to a debt councillor or the citizens advice bureau to help you communicate with your creditors? They are usually more than happy to make an arrangement even if it's a small amount every month.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 pm

If you don't have any property the citizens advice will do a statement of debt and most of it will be written off. You won't be credit worthy for about five years.
I know of a family who fled with massive debts, they stayed in the Canaries for seven years then returned and the slate was clean. The wife even got a job in a financial institution, which normally involves a credit check !

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:46 am

I can't believe this person has posted this question,(or is it tongue in cheek) I have worked with someone who did the spend spend spend thing (gambling ) and made himself bankrupt. He had no regrets no dependents as such (separated from his wife and kids ) and boasted each month that he did not pay income tax because he was bankrupt . He got his wages paid into his fathers account and managed that way.

So what I am m trying to say is if you have a conscience and not sponge of everyone who works hard for their bit of crust , bite the bullet and pay off your debt . We don't need people like yourself who would consider this deceit to live amongst us
Rant over :roll:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:47 am

I feel this is a total wind up...
I know plenty of people that have tried this,and failed miserably.
If it were that easy to "run" from your debts do you not think we would all be doing it... :lol:
Use a bit of savvy and pay them off,then come to spain-least then you can enjoy yourself,without dodging the guardia whenever you see them.. :roll:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 am

I do know of some people who did just this - run up huge UK credit card bills (before AND after moving to Spain) and they (unfortunately/luckily depending on how you look at it) do seem to have "got away" with it. For several years.
I think that they think that the authorities/credit card companies won't ever bother to try to find them out here. They have had to do no more than dodge a few phone calls and ignore letters. They will have problems if they ever want to move back to the UK though I would imagine.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:32 am

Well I think you should face up to your responsibilities. You took the loan and you spent the money.

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am

here here!!!

Drives me mad these people who borrow borrow borrow and then decide they can't pay, declare bankruptcy and or do a runner, only for a few year later to have the slate "wiped clean"....

I managed to get into trouble however spent a LOT of time and money paying off everything I owed....(or thought I did until I went into the bank here to apply for a mortgage, obtained a credit report which said I was blacklisted because I owed a mobile phone company 35 quid (which I know I didn't but paid just to move on!!!!)

I think if you are declared bankrupt, unless you are constantly repaying at least something per month, the slate should never be wiped clean!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:58 am

No. We don't want you here; you will no doubt run up debts here as well.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

JAKE M
Resident

Re: leaving debt in UK behind...

Postby JAKE M » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:18 pm

ch86 wrote:Hi there...

I am planning to move out to Spain this year, unfortunately I have about 10k of debt in my name in credit cards and loans, and thinking of just 'doing a runner'....

I basically want to know whether its safe to do so? Or will this come back on me in Spain?
Whether this is for real or a wind up, my thoughts are...T0SSER
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

andymc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby andymc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 pm

Try it, then let me know if u get away with it, lol
:twisted:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Spanish banks and other lending institutions are using Equifax, and creditexpert.co.uk as well as Experian to check on people needing money so you will never be able to borrow any money out here if you decide to avoid your responsibilities and add to the people that give the area the name Costa del Crime. Plus ordinary people who do pay their debts off end up paying for people like you in higher interest charges and so on.......

Also credit cards are becoming europe wide and thus they are getting very wise to people doing as you plan but they are catching more and more people and you then have the added costs of them pursuing you as well. Spain has no supportive welfare state in the same way as the UK so you cannot fall back on benefits over here either, you work and pay your way or you are effectively on your own, personal responsibility is the thing, no nannying welfare state.

Are you really serious and that shameless that you would ask for support from others in assisting you to defraud credit card companies or at the very least help you to assess your chances of doing so?

I agree with Alan, if this is your attitude try Timbuktu instead.......or better still stay in the UK, work your butt off, clear your debts and then move forward cleanly with an honest clear slate.

Dealer
Resident

Re: leaving debt in UK behind...

Postby Dealer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 pm

ch86 wrote:I basically want to know whether its safe to do so? Or will this come back on me in Spain?
Go away numpty.

"A soul afraid of dying will never live"