Where to live Campo de Gibraltar?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
TAI

Postby TAI » Sun May 04, 2008 10:00 am

Hi
We have been on the phone to loads of Agents around La Linea, they all seem to want a deposit and 50% of the rent as a "finders fee", so you find yourself an apartment on the internet, call the agent and they charge you 400 euros just for that!! One agent told me that this fee is only charged for apartments in La Linea and not in Alcaidesa or Santa Margarita, I'm not sure why but I suspect it may be because people who work in Gib are wanting to live close to the border.
We wanted to book a hotel or apartment for a few weeks in La Linea and then have a look around once we are actually over to get a feel for the place, the hotels are really expensive and its impossible to find a one month rental which is not less than £1,500. We did find a one month rental in Torreguadiaro for 650 euros, it's half an hours drive from Gib but we don't mind as we are hiring a car and don't have jobs yet so we don't need to be in Gib all the time anyway. So we plan to have 4 weeks checking all the places out before we commit to a 6 month rental and hopefully we find something we like then.
3 weeks to go - excited but nervous at the same time.
:)
Thanks again for advice.

gymcrazy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gymcrazy » Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Be very careful with the agents. We paid a Duquesa agent 2 months security deposit £1500 and even though thay put in writing to us that there were no damages when we left the apartment we are still waiting 5 months later for the refund with owners of the estate agent refusing to speak to us. We have contacted solicitors and sent letters etc but to now take them to court would be an expensive and long drawn out process and with no guarantees of getting the money back.

We have since spoke to quite a few people that the same thing has happened to and it seems like the norm in spain.

beanabroad
Tourist

Postby beanabroad » Fri May 09, 2008 7:49 am

Hello all,
I'm new to this site, was actually looking for info on new school in Alcaidesa when I discovered it. Shame I didnt know about it before really...
Anyway, we've been living in Campo De Gibraltar for about 6 years (3 in Gib, 3 in Alcaidesa) and life down here is fabulous, I'd recommend it to everyone. We have 2 boys, both go to school in Gib. They follow the English curriculum there, so my boys will be fine should we ever decide to move back to the rain and wind... not bl**dy likely!
Life in Alcaidesa is wonderful... theres a great community spirit here, a good mix of Spanish, Gibraltarians and english expats, the majority of residents being young families. The beach here is, imho, the best on the coast, with two beach bars in the summer months, one of which stays open at night serving the best Argentinian steaks I've ever had. The sand is clean, (there is beach cleaning every day) and the views are spectacular..quite the best view of Gibraltar.
Alcaidesa is a relatively new village, with a small square which currently has only one restaurant and its quite expensive to be honest. However, there is a new commercial centre currently being built opposite the square, and I hear there is a new restaurant opening soon. Friday nights at the square are the busiest, with the locals descending to enjoy happy hour from 6 to 7. The kids all play happily together, whilst the parents enjoy tapas and a cold beer or three! Remember the soap El Dorado? hehehe!
I far prefer living across the border in Spain. I'm originally from a small island, but even I found living in Gib claustrophobic, overcrowded and quite noisy. Rents are higher in Gib, but an address is essential if children are to be schooled here. The majority of accomodation is apartments, there are few houses but if you're lucky enough to find one the rent will probably be huge! The big advantage to living in Gib is the close proximity to Main street and schools, the one disadvantage to living in spain is the commute and the queue across the border into Gib in the mornings. However the border crossings have improved and traffic flow is quicker, although the summer months are obviously busier....
God I'm waffling.... :D
From the channel islands, living in spain, working in Gib, kids at school in Gib... FAB WAY OF LIFE!!!

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Are you saying that you send your children to school in Gibraltar on the pretext that you are living there?
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

beanabroad
Tourist

Postby beanabroad » Sun May 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Certainly not Lola... we have an apartment in Gib which we also live in.... does that answer your question?
From the channel islands, living in spain, working in Gib, kids at school in Gib... FAB WAY OF LIFE!!!

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Mon May 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Hello beanabroad!

Interesting post...thanks for the waffle :D

I'm going to move over in a few weeks...was thinking about Alcaidesa, but had almost decided on Duquesa...however..your post has got me thinking about Alcaidesa again :?

You make it sound very nice...and it's closer to Gib, where I'm hoping someone will employ me....the only thing that puts me off is the choice of restaurants etc... Don't you get fed up?? I love trying different restaurants etc

Decisions, decisions...

beanabroad
Tourist

Postby beanabroad » Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi Biskit,
The chiringuito should be open soon which will add to the entertainment. And I hear theres also a new restaurant opening in the square soon and the commercial centre opposite the square should hopefully provide somewhere different to go, once its completed that is... fingers x'd. theres the new golf club dont forget and also La vista restaurant which i believe is part of the Aldiana Hotel. (used to be an exclusive German hotel, but i believe its now open to the general public). Alcaidesa is growing slowly, but in an understated way, i think.

La Duquesa is nice, have an apt there, but I have to say its quite far to commute, but thats only me speaking personally. I have a few friends who do it daily and they say its not a problem for them.

I far prefer to live in Alcaidesa, the development is far quainter, imho, and the beach is much nicer!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu May 15, 2008 7:36 am

god beanabroad you do waffle on dont you! :roll: :roll:
:lol:
:lol: :wink:

beanabroad
Tourist

Postby beanabroad » Fri May 16, 2008 9:07 am

Hehehe!
Cheeky mare.... how long you gonna keep me waiting??? Am having withdrawals from lack of peach....

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri May 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Am having withdrawals from lack of peach....
thought you were more into sucking on plumshahaha... :wink:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon May 19, 2008 9:41 am

Alcaidesa used to be expensive: certainly the churinguito was!
You would have a commute from the A7 exit & entries to the actual houses in Alcaidesa - it's a really long way into the centre of the development! :lol:

Do try Manilva/Sabinillas as it's only 25 minute to Gibraltar and it's a nice area IMHO.

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 am

I've been watching this thread with great interest as me and hubby are thinking about re-locating to work in Gibraltar, just to try it out for a year as we are in rural France at the moment and i'm finding life here quite tedious and am longing to get back to work.
I've surfed and surfed and all I can seem to find are apartments or town houses close to Gib. We have 3 dogs so would really like to find a country house within a half an hours drive to Gib.
Anybody got any suggestions on where to look?
Thanks
Annabell

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue May 27, 2008 9:28 am

when you say country house,do you mean somewhere in the middle of the campo(ie:middle of nowhere?)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue May 27, 2008 9:31 am

there are a few places like this but most are more than half an hours drive.
Rhonda,castillar de la fontera,Jimena...
you can find houses in the middle of nowhere dotted all around la linea,right upto Estepona...all of which are around half an hours drive from Gib..it all depends on what you want,will you looking to buy or rent the property?

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Tue May 27, 2008 9:38 am

Hi
Am looking to rent for a year at least. I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere as long as we can get to gib within about half an hours drive.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue May 27, 2008 9:51 am

try this place annabell.

San Martin de tesorillo-a beautiful place nearby to sotogrande ,lots of orange groves very safe. around half an hours drive from Gib.

do a search for estate agents in duquesa/estepona,they will have property to rent in san martin.

failing that,im sure you could find somewhere in duequesa or estepona thats in the middle of nowhere..you need to look at the agents in that area.

Good luck. :wink:

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks PP will take a look.
Annabell