Learning spanish?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
nsbrown
Tourist

Learning spanish?

Postby nsbrown » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 am

Hi people

Thought I'd share this with anyone wanting to start learning spanish that has an iPhone.
There is an app called 24/7 tutor for spanish that you can download for free at the app itunes app store.

It uses multiple choice questions just like a quiz, the best part is that you can listen to the spoken word.

I have been using it and it works really well, I've added allot of words to my vocab and it's addictive, been trying to get 100% for all the topics!

Kmoppz
Resident

Re: Learning spanish?

Postby Kmoppz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am

Excellent Cheers....

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Another excellent way of learning spanish is through the internet programme "coffee break spanish"
I normally revise new words and phrases from their lessons using my own electronic flash cards (see http://www.flashcardexchange.com/)

Richard

louise225
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby louise225 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 pm

I also like the BBC website, but the best one I've found is:

http://www.studyspanish.com/index.htm

It's split into pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar, so you can do the bits you like or all of it. If you want to upgrade to be a premium member you get access to all the material, if your tight like me :) :!: you can just use the free stuff.

Louise

nsbrown
Tourist

Postby nsbrown » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Coffee break spanish is very good! What happened to the one guy that was learning? There's only the one female on there with the teacher now.

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:44 am

Coffee break Spanish finished last Autumn after 80 episodes. It is now being repeated with re-mastered episodes and the occasional new fill-in episode.

disco_stu
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby disco_stu » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Why bother?
Chorizo's nice but nothing like getting your sausage battered.

nsbrown
Tourist

Postby nsbrown » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Why bother? Learning Spanish?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm

If you want all the intelligent Brits who live here (about 20% of all the Brits?), and most of the local Spanish to think the same of you as most Brits in the UK think of all the immigrants who cannot understand English, then don't bother. :twisted:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Tabby
Tourist

Postby Tabby » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Learning spanish, yes. We use the Michel Thomas cd's they are very good. On the subject of "why bother", well where we are in Caniles, we are one of the few brits there, so we have no choice in the matter, we HAVE to speak spanish, and have found that the spanish respect you for having a go at it! They get to know you and trust you. Give it a go!!
Tabby

nsbrown
Tourist

Postby nsbrown » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am

That Michael Thomas collection is fantastic, I did have a copy but lost it, I'm hoping I made a backup... :?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:22 pm

you could download the tapes free off limewire, also take a look at www.busuu.com
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am

Don't have in iPhone, but do have an iPod and find the Podcasts from Notes in Spanish are very good. They have 3 levels, so there should be something for everyone.
Or you can also download directly from iTunes.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:24 pm

sampedrena wrote:Don't have in iPhone, but do have an iPod and find the Podcasts from Notes in Spanish are very good. They have 3 levels, so there should be something for everyone.
Or you can also download directly from iTunes.
Yes, they are OK, but the transcriptions are not free, I guess most learners will want those. Having said that, the beginners level maybe easy to follow without a transcription, I don't know. The forum on Ben's site is quite busy, popular with learners. Other free sites worth a look, with free transcriptions are
http://ssl4you.blogspot.com/ Run by Teresa Sanchez from Zamora, a lovely lady, a teacher, with a nice neutral zamoran accent
http://www.spanishpodcast.org/ Mercedes from Barcelona.
These are a little bit more advanced, but that fact that they are both native Spanish sways it for me.
If you search on itunes for spanish podcasts, you'll find quite a lot, at all different levels, but those are about the only two I regularly listen to nowadays.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm

I do so agree about Teresa Sanchez - the podcasts are excellent, with good explanations and - as you say - full transcripts on her website at no cost! When I first started using the site, I was finding it difficult to download the archived files, so I e-mailed and she replied very quickly - which I thought was very kind of her. At present I'm having trouble connecting with spanishpodcast.org but will certainly check out Mercedes from Barcelona once I can get onto the site.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Marbella Bhoy

Postby Marbella Bhoy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Tabby wrote:Learning spanish, yes. We use the Michel Thomas cd's they are very good. On the subject of "why bother", well where we are in Caniles, we are one of the few brits there, so we have no choice in the matter, we HAVE to speak spanish, and have found that the spanish respect you for having a go at it! They get to know you and trust you. Give it a go!!
Definately Tabby, and its showing respect to the native people of the country!I cringe sometimes when I hear some people get on their high horse about someone not knowing any English.

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Try this if you like computer games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/

Steve
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Please support Pepi´s Dog Refuge
www.pepisdogrefuge.com

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Yes Good isn't it.

A real mystery story developing

Steve
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

pablosho
Tourist

Postby pablosho » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:47 pm

If anyone is interested in Learning Spanish for kids, I have just bought a fantastic DVD Spanish course for the children. It uses real Spanish kids, lots of interaction and great songs. My kids dont stop asking me to put it on. It's called Speekee.