Television in hold baggage ?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
villasur
Tourist

Television in hold baggage ?

Postby villasur » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Has anyone ever brought an 18" television over in there checked in suitcase & if so did it survive the baggage handlers ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Television in hold baggage ?

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:11 pm

you cant seriously be thinking of doing that

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 pm

They sell these in Spain you know :lolno:
If it is one you have and have no other use for then you could probably bring it as hand luggage or if it is packed properly it should survive.
A couple of years ago I took a small fat-bed scanner to Scotland & back in our hold luggage and it was fine. We made a case for it from timber sides and MDF top & bottom with bubblewarp in the middle.
Ann

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:26 pm

As long as it's packed in the original box it should be OK.

If they can survive the postal/courier services they should survive the baggage handlers especially with all the extra padding round it.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Well I have a metal case full of dents, surely there is not much difference in prices to take the risk :think:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:15 pm

I worked at an international airport for 36 years. Never, ever, would I even contemplate putting anything of any value, never mind fragile, in the care of baggage handlers.
Total disrespect for others property.
If I upset one I am sorry you must be the exception.

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Could that size of screen not be packaged as hand luggage, if it is flat screen , if it is not why bother.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

I brought over a de-humidifier about 12 years ago without any problem. The only damage it received was when I dropped it myself. :(

(Do UK TVs work in Spain?)
Dave

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm

We brought over a portable TV with built-in video recorder on one trip, as checked-in baggage. It was in the original packaging plus additional packing, and clearly marked Fragile and Muy Fragil, it survived the journey with no problems. We once brought a chandelier as hand luggage too, again it travelled unscathed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Mowser wrote: (Do UK TVs work in Spain?)
Now everything has gone digital, normally yes they will work OK. No probs at all if in a satellite system and if receiving Spanish TDT then most channels should be OK but I do remember reading that UK Freeview receivers may miss some Spanish channels.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I've done it a few times. You do need to meke sure that its well protected against the fact the siutcase will be thrown about before and after the flight and even then you might find some small dents.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 pm

I always have a fairly flat cushion in the bottom of my suitcase for protection as we usually take back some whisky and anis. Then I wrap anything breakable in bubble wrap with something equally soft on the top. Never had anything broken yet. I brought our new humax box back this way and also left it in the original packing. It was fine. Also brought back a JML halogen oven in its original box wjthout a problem. Just make sure the suitcase is full so nothing can move.

villasur
Tourist

Postby villasur » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks to all for comments and tips on wrappings. It's an 18" F/screen - DVD &free view, it's new and still boxed but I intend to wrap in plenty of bubble wrap and pack well with towels and clothing. We fly out on Thurs so fingers crossed for it's survival, so at least OH will be able to watch the back catalogue of Dowton Abbey while I get stuck into the DIY.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:47 am

Slightly off-topic but here goes.......
Back in the early 80s we had a studio apartment in Mallorca and we bought 2 second-hand folding bicycles in the UK and obtained 2 delivery boxes from a cycle shop in town. Packed the bikes and padded them out with towels. We were stopped by the guard as we left Palma airport. He demanded to know what was in the boxes and told us to show him the contents...... if we had done so then we would never have managed to tape the boxes back up again ready for our taxi ride across the island. Luckily I remembered that each box had a hole in the side, presumably to keep the weight down. Anyway I pulled the tape off that section, moved the towels to one side and exposed a bicycle wheel spokes .. the guard was satisfied and off we went..... PHEW!!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Couple of years ago I bought over a Samsung 26" LCD tv as checked in baggage. It was in it's original packaging as shipped to me in the UK by Dixons. Arrived here undamaged and works a treat. Receives all the spanish free to air channels with it's built in TDT decoder.
Regards

Bob

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:58 am

I bought back a DVD recorder from ASDA about 4 years ago!! Its still going strong.

if its still in the box then it should be fine, dont think they get an easy life in shops!!!!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:39 pm

I know that a lot of electrical stuff in retailers is outrageously expensive, but have a look at this site:
www.redcoon.es. If you latch on to their daily offers, there's some quite tasty bargains to be had.
nil illegitimum carborundum

villasur
Tourist

Postby villasur » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Well the TV made the trip OK in the case, so Happy Days :thumbup: :clap:

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Well done and a happy ending! :thumbup:
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 am

fyfin wrote:Well done and a happy ending! :thumbup:

Told you it would! :clap: :clap:

Sid