Had Enough Can't Wait

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
jogger
Resident

Had Enough Can't Wait

Postby jogger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 pm

The weather here for June is the absolute pits. Today I left for work at 6am was blocked in by another car, eventually 30 mins later I was on the train from Haslemere, just before Guildford the train was stopped at the station for 20mins due to a tree blown over onto the line (it's June :crazy: ) then we were kicked off the train at Woking as the train was terminated but we were told the train sitting on the next platform would stop at Clapham Junc (my stop) and London Waterloo. The train sailed through Clapham to Waterloo without stopping, so onto the 08:06 next train to Clapham, which left at 11 mins past and when I asked the guard what the delay was she nearly took my head off. It wouldn't be so bad if this was a one off but far from it. I got into my course well late and exhausted.

Last week I was walking through Granada city in the 30s feeling very relaxed. I know a holiday is different from living somewhere but when my severance and early works pension comes I will be ready for the off and can't wait.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Had Enough Can't Wait

Postby IreneD » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 pm

I know what you mean, jogger. I've just been on facebook moaning about the heat and how I'm having trouble sleeping etc and have been met by a torrent of abuse from friends and family having to cope with the most awful weather in the U.K.! (Good-natured abuse I hasten to add).

It has made me stop and appreciate all this sunshine, we are lucky! But, being British, I can moan if I like :lol:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 am

Jogger, I think you have answered yourself in your final paragraph - holidaying somewhere bears little reality to actually living there. Yes, there is a lot to be said for waking up in the morning to pleasant blue skies but, there is more to life than the weather! Just as endless grey skies and rain can get you down, so can endless sunshine and excessive temperatures! When we first moved to Spain I never thought I would be writing that but, there have been many days in July and August when I would give anything for grey skies and lots and lots of cool rain! The grass is greener and all that, I suppose!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes sensible post. I think everyone returns from a good holiday thinking the same. I hear Granada can be fairly cool too in winter. I would like to live in the Caribbean but I wouldn't if you get my meaning :lolno:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:43 pm

jogger wrote:The weather here for June is the absolute pits. Today I left for work at 6am was blocked in by another car, eventually 30 mins later I was on the train from Haslemere, just before Guildford the train was stopped at the station for 20mins due to a tree blown over onto the line (it's June :crazy: ) then we were kicked off the train at Woking as the train was terminated but we were told the train sitting on the next platform would stop at Clapham Junc (my stop) and London Waterloo. The train sailed through Clapham to Waterloo without stopping, so onto the 08:06 next train to Clapham, which left at 11 mins past and when I asked the guard what the delay was she nearly took my head off. It wouldn't be so bad if this was a one off but far from it. I got into my course well late and exhausted.

Last week I was walking through Granada city in the 30s feeling very relaxed. I know a holiday is different from living somewhere but when my severance and early works pension comes I will be ready for the off and can't wait.
I remember that feeling so well. I too used to have an exhausting commute to work and often felt as though I'd done a day's work before I even arrived! We've been here five and a half years now and have never regretted it, I hope your move goes equally well.

I do have to agree with what other forum members have said about Granada, though. Not sure from your post if that is where you have chosen to move to, but it wouldn't be my choice as it is both extremely hot in summer and very cold in winter. I was there for a few days this February and there was ice in the fountains in the street!

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks all for the replies, sitting on another train heading home after a late shift. Yip I am aware about the grass being greener and all, we have also considered the high temps . Part of the plan is to have a camper van and travel July & Aug , head north to slightly cooler climes. We are not thinking of heading over and buying a bar and or any of that sort of thing. It will be a change of lifestyle we dearly want but we also have a plan b & c. Also we will rent to start with, somewhere a bit in from the coast but maybe not Granada after reading this but the again who knows. We can move about to check out various areas , Ronda sounds nice.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:35 am

Some people come to Spain and are fine but many head back because it wasn't as they expected.
The bureaucracy will drive you mad, getting a job is extremely difficult and the cooler climate in summer doesn't start until you're about 30 kms from the north coast. In fact,in the interior parts of Spain on the whole it's hotter in summer than the Med and in winter it can be much colder than The UK.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us informed.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 am

Thanks Mark
Luckily I won't be looking for work as I will be retired at 55 which is part of plan A . Although I was thinking, if I was to start a little internet business , say selling on eBay and started paying into the system , would I be entitled to health care?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 am

Depends how successful the business is. Remember, you would need to declare the income and pay something like 250 euros per month to get into the system, plus income tax, once you have finished the initial period of free health cover paid for by UK. The period for that depends on how long you paid NI in UK. UK will issue you a certificate once you apply for it.

We did look at doing a limited amount of work to get into the system. Didn't go for it as it was actually cheaper to have private health care, although not always as convenient. Would have needed to work too much to break even. Didn't move here to work!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks Steve, I don't really want to work either, I just thought it might be a cheap way of getting into the healthcare system as I thought private health care would be hellishly expensive for two people in their fifties.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 pm

When we looked at it it was going to be about 250 euros per month (3000 euros per year) to pay to get into the system. Might be a few euros out but it was in that region. Compare that to approx 1500 euros (there may well be cheaper ones) per year for private health care and you can see why we dropped the idea of working. We are both in our 50's as well.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!