newbie here hello

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Navas
Tourist

Re: newbie here hello

Postby Navas » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am

spaniola wrote:Hi Mountainlass and Navas, Jaén is lovely, Alcala had become rather a Brit haven but I´m not sure how many are around there now. We´re further north and have a holiday home which we rent if you´re looking for accommodation in Jaén, PM me if you like.
My family were from Linares/Baeza/Ubeda/Sabiote and we have explored that area quite a lot. Our original idea was to move to Baeza, which I love and feel a deep attachment to, but when it dawned on us how far from any airport it is, we decided to look further south and "fell upon" Archidona in Malaga. Alcala was also on my radar but slipped off when Granada airport stopped being used for flights to and from the UK.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am

Archidona is a lovely town, we used to live near there. :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

oliveview01 wrote:Archidona is a lovely town, we used to live near there. :thumbup:
We still do :D (well, not permanently :wink: )
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Navas
Tourist

Postby Navas » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm

We were in Archidona at the end of October and thought it was great! It had everything we could want from a small town and we even found a house that we fell in love with. Unfortunately, due to personal circmstances, we're not quite in a position to buy at the moment.
chrissiehope wrote:
oliveview01 wrote:Archidona is a lovely town, we used to live near there. :thumbup:
We still do :D (well, not permanently :wink: )
Do you actually live in Archidona itself, chrissiehope, or outside?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Our house is in the campo (in an olive grove) just outside the village of Estacion de Archidona. Archidona is blessed with 2 stations (ours & Salinas), but the trains don't stop at either (except to pass each other ) !! :lol:

We don't live there full time, but try & visit about 4 times a year for at least a couple of weeks :D

Whereabouts was the house you fell in love with ? Generally, houses in Spain take a while to sell, so you may yet be lucky :thumbup:

Navas
Tourist

Postby Navas » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 pm

chrissiehope wrote:Our house is in the campo (in an olive grove) just outside the village of Estacion de Archidona. Archidona is blessed with 2 stations (ours & Salinas), but the trains don't stop at either (except to pass each other ) !! :lol:

We don't live there full time, but try & visit about 4 times a year for at least a couple of weeks :D

Whereabouts was the house you fell in love with ? Generally, houses in Spain take a while to sell, so you may yet be lucky :thumbup:
It's in Calle Alta - top of the town, with the most amazing views and backing onto the hillside. We saw two in that street, one was empty and had been for a long time. It had been reformed but the steps were so high inside, my little legs had trouble with them! The other was just perfect for us. It's been on sale a while now, I think, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it may still be there when we're ready. I was going to post a link, but I don't want to advertise it :wink:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Got your pm thanks, and have replied :D

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm

I will be taking early retirement from the NHS, we will both be 56. Financially we have done our sums and investigates tax/private healthcare/residency etc and are as confident as we can be that we will be able to manage. We have a file several inches thick full of information on taxes, utilities etc, but appreciate that this is an every changing force within Spain at the moment.

The move is driven by a desire to have a different experience and way of life... not a better life just different. We have over the past few years, lost friends and colleagues and have now decided that life it to short to just sit and say what if.

Exactly the same as us. The other half took early retirement from the NHS for the very same reasons. Do it, we have and we say we should have done it earlier. As for living out in the campo, one of our neighbors is an 87 year old single lady and she has no problem, she's lived in her cave for 20+ years on her own.
Why not have a look around the Altiplano. The best spot in Andalucia! :thumbup:
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

Navas
Tourist

Postby Navas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

v.dubber wrote: Exactly the same as us. The other half took early retirement from the NHS for the very same reasons. Do it, we have and we say we should have done it earlier. As for living out in the campo, one of our neighbors is an 87 year old single lady and she has no problem, she's lived in her cave for 20+ years on her own.
Why not have a look around the Altiplano. The best spot in Andalucia! :thumbup:
Interesting! Do you actually live in a cave house? We've stayed in cave apartments before but in the height of summer. Is it true what they say about the temeperature being fairly constant all year round in the cave? What's it like in winter?

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes, we have had our cavehouse in Orce for about six years and have just spent our first year here permanentely and think it is fab. When we were visiting in winter as a holiday home, we would arrive in the early ours of the morning and the car thermometer would read around -9 deg but on opening the front door we could honestly feel the heat and the temperature was around 15 deg. Dont forget thats without any form of heating for the previous two months. We now light the log burner on some nights which brings the temperature up to the 20's. Some cavehouses have a traditional brick and mortar addition to the front which can reduce the effect if its not been insulated.
and......no we dont have damp or mold (you do need to keep the air circulated whenever possible) and yes we do have electric, water, phone, broadband etc etc etc.
Another massive bonus of a cave, is you can have the most stunning veiws.
Tou could always rent one for a weekend or short break. There are quite a few ranging from self catering to B&B.
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com