Alora

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
fincalospinos
Resident

Alora

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 am

Anyone on the forum living in this area ?

Would appreciate any info on the area, amenities in the town, transport, local surgeries etc.
Hardworking resident !!

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Alora

Postby ladymuck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Alora is nice village with all mod cons available, has some stunning views and not too far to the coast.
Village is a good size and has hustle and bustle.
Train station, buses
Everything you could want and the registration offices for escituras etc.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 pm

fincalospinos, hi.

I live in Álora, have done so for the last 8 years. I can second what ladymuck has written. For me the attraction is location, facilities, proximity to Málaga and airport as well as El Chorro and the "lakes" etc. Choice of either train or bus if you don't want to drive into the centre of Málaga. Usual village shops and bars including a Brit one, not been in but there if you want it!

A new Medical Centre with ambulance based there also a Theatre if you fluent in Spanish. Usual range of Banks with at least one English speaking member of staff. Also an English speaking guy in the Correos.

As well as the office ladymuck mentions there is a Social Security office also a branch of the Hacienda (tax office) so no need to treck into Málaga for tax matters.

Anything more you want to know, please ask.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Many thanks for the info.

It is just that we are thinking of moving soon, and that area is one that we like the look of.
Hardworking resident !!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 am

Another query,

Is there any broadband in the area, and what is mobile reception like ?
Hardworking resident !!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes both are available but it obviously depends where in the town and locality you live. If you have a landline from Telefonica then yes, you can have broadband. Otherwise there is a Company in the town (Everbit) who provide a satellite-type service (sorry can't think of the correct tech term).

We are in the hills just outside the town(2kms) and have no problems with mobile reception using Orange. We also have a landline and are contracted for broadband of up to 3Mb, we usually manage around 2+ Mb.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks Masterob.
Hardworking resident !!

chadbukl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chadbukl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 pm

It is a microwave system .....it works on line of sight .....its good so long as your not downloading movies

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

fincalospinos wrote:Another query,

Is there any broadband in the area, and what is mobile reception like ?

generally, apart from in a big dip surrounded by mounatins.. or for some reason, at el chorro itself, theres no problem with mobile phone reception on this side of malaga..

broadband, theres loads of suppliers.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Sandra
Tourist

Postby Sandra » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 pm

My friend lives about 20-30 minutes drive away from Alora. If you are looking for a fabulous place to live in the mountains, he has 2 houses enclosed by fences, for sale. He is in his 70's and his health is not so good. What was valued at 1.2 million euros 8 years ago, he now has up for sale for about a quarter of that price. You can have a look at them here: http://www.sanbria.com/ Would be nice to live in one house and rent out the other.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Sandra wrote:My friend lives about 20-30 minutes drive away from Alora. If you are looking for a fabulous place to live in the mountains, he has 2 houses enclosed by fences, for sale. He is in his 70's and his health is not so good. What was valued at 1.2 million euros 8 years ago, he now has up for sale for about a quarter of that price. You can have a look at them here: http://www.sanbria.com/ Would be nice to live in one house and rent out the other.
Bit too remote for me.
Hardworking resident !!

Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spud » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:19 am

My friend has a lovely house about 30 minutes inland from Malaga with spectacular views across countryside to the sea. Unfortunately he has had a mild heart attack and feels he would be better living in a villiage or town. His son has made him a web site http://www.spainhousesale.com it might be what you´re looking for but no harm in looking.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:17 pm

What I remember about Alora is that it has some very steep streets. Maybe something to consider if your joints give you any gip. :think: