Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:35 am

Our Spanish neighbour gets just under 700€ a month pension. Twice a year the pensioners get a double payment,. He is disabled, so his pension is slightly higher than his sister's pension. Both own their own houses and manage very well, compared to a UK basic pension they are wealthy!!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:23 pm

"The only way it would be doable is to sell eg. a £800,000 house in the uk and buy a €400,000 in Spain and draw down whilst keeping your fingers crossed it won't run out"

Folks, katy has cracked it (again) Sorted !

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Being serious.

The answer is no.

No doubt there are some people "existing" on basic pensions. Spain / exchange rates have changed of course. Anyone trying it now would have to be out of their tiny minds.

Utilities will always be more than the rate of inflation going forward. Spain will be more expensive / rate of inflation will be more than increase in pensions. Pound could well decrease against the euro also. Anyone considering it ?, don't.

At least there is some fall back in the UK.

anyroads

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 am

Certainly not going to be easy to live comfortably on a basic pension, however from my research it is not impossible, I know of plenty of folks who do live happy and contented lives with little money, but maybe life style changes and careful planning are required !

I have pointed out a few ways of making a little extra cash on other threads, and I know how difficult it must be to think of ways to earn a little pin money, but it is there, seek and you will find..!
And if I can be of any assistance in this matter, please feel free to contact me, I maybe able to pass on a few tips.

Regards,
Gordon

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:17 pm

May I refer some of the later posters back to my earlier post

"It can't be done".

As I said, I have been doing it for the last seven years.

Anyone doing it now "must be out of their tiny mind". My mind is not tiny nor am I out of it.

I live very comfortably in a nice spacious house and have a happy, busy and interesting life. I don't spend all my time worrying about money or penny-pinching. I spend my time getting on with the adventure that I came here for. None of us are starving but we are all running out of time. I want to make the most of it while I can.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Mariacristina,
You are like a breath of fresh spring air wafting under the noses of the disbelievers and have provided an inspirational example of what can be achieved if you apply yourself correctly.

I'm most grateful for your support in writing about your lifestyle and achievements when managing on a low income.

Thank You,

Anyone else with good reports and thoughts ?

Regards,
Gordon.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm

oliveview01 wrote:Last year we had visitors every month except one, that is what pushes up the expenses! This year it has been quiet :lol:
It always amazes me reading similar posts, expats dreading the arrival of their free loading relatives! :lol:
Does nobody have relatives that pay their way? Do people visiting UK not expect to stay with rellies? I've done a lot of photography for free for Spanish friends of their rental properties and in return they have offered us many free weeks stay, we have another in October. However, I have never ever stayed there for free, we take the family for a free meal and we have always left at least a couple of hundred euros on the table as we left. We simply couldn't walk out without paying something, but I guess we are all different.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:40 pm

My family always pay their way. We have a 'kitty' while they are here, a bowl of money where we all put in - say - 30 euros at a time - and replenish it as we shop. If we go out for a meal, we go Dutch.

I think things change as the family's circumstances change. Years ago, OH and I would pay for the family when we had family holidays. In the days when they were struggling to make a living, we'd fund villa holidays for all of us for instance but (touch wood) the offspring and OHs now all have decent jobs and can pay their own way. I hope we won't ever get to the stage where they have to fund us but you never know........our circumstances sure have changed but that's life :) We've made financial mistakes and now have to cut our cloth accordingly. I'm not depressed about it, just realistic and hope I can put up a post like Mariacristina's one of these days, we're still working on managing on a pension :thumbup: .

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 pm

IreneD wrote:My family always pay their way. We have a 'kitty' while they are here, a bowl of money where we all put in - say - 30 euros at a time - and replenish it as we shop. If we go out for a meal, we go Dutch.

I'm sure you're not alone, but in this and similar forums it seems to be all one way traffic, unwelcome freeloading rellies looking for not only for a free stay in Spain, but free everything else! :lol: Generally if our son and wife visit us, if we have a meal, we pay, and vice versa, there's never anyone trying to avoid paying. I guess for some it's a case of you can choose your friends but not your relatives! :lol:
Regards, Frank

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm

I have numerous friends who have told me that many of their family and friends wouldn't be able to afford a holiday in Spain if they couldn't do a bit of 'free-loading', but then it works both ways as many expats go back and stay for free in UK. :D

We've lived here in Spain long enough for the 'novelty' to have worn off with friends and family, so we only get occasional visitors.

Years ago we had a guest house in Bridlington and then a hotel in Whitby, and at first we were inundated with messages from 'long lost family and friends' but we didn't get many coming to stay when I told them they would have to pay ..like everyone else. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by BENIDORM on Fri May 08, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Our visitors do pay their way, but visitors every month, like we had last year, do stretch the income, as we were doing things that we do not do all the time. The one thing now is other than our immediate family, visitors will need to have their own car hire and not use our car.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 pm

We have only had one person, an acquaintance, not a friend ask to come and stay, we said sorry no!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Oliveview, yes you're right - we do go out and about more when visitors are here and that does increase our spending

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm amazed anyone wants to stay with a load of tightwads like you lot anyway, can't be an enjoyable experience! :lolno: :thumbdown: :lolno: I can't think of any relations or friends that I would dread coming to visit us, nor can I think of anyone of those that wouldn't more than pay their way. You seem very unlucky in your friends and relations, I bet they're are glad you emigrated. :thumbup: As for a car, I've never arrived at Málaga and not picked up a car, we're completely independent, never relied on anyone for transport, or indeed for anything.
Regards, Frank

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 am

Frank, that is incredibly rude, unfair and judgemental.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:34 am

So, as usual then, Irene! :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 am

IreneD wrote:Frank, that is incredibly rude, unfair and judgemental.
He's just being frank.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:47 am

frank wrote:I'm amazed anyone wants to stay with a load of tightwads like you lot anyway, can't be an enjoyable experience! :lolno: :thumbdown: :lolno: I can't think of any relations or friends that I would dread coming to visit us, nor can I think of anyone of those that wouldn't more than pay their way. You seem very unlucky in your friends and relations, I bet they're are glad you emigrated. :thumbup: As for a car, I've never arrived at Málaga and not picked up a car, we're completely independent, never relied on anyone for transport, or indeed for anything.
Well, Bully for you.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 am

Don't worry too much about Frank, or should we call him Franco ?

He lives in a little bubble filled with lovely Spanish things that he can obsess with and name drop to his little hearts content.

He's just gone out for a walk with his little dog 'Paco' and will call in to 'El Tesco's ' on the way back to pick up his San Miguel Tinnies....

No offence meant Frank, and I mean that from the heart of my bottom. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 pm

I don;t know about no offence Frank, I think he should be called up in front of the mods for his comments!