Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:31 am

First of all can I change the O.A.P title to Third Age Citizens, I don't like the word 'old'... :lol:

And before I go on can we not get confused with Third World Citizens..... :thumbup:

Right , so is it possible to maintain a Reasonably Good Standard of Living for pensioners who reside permanently in Spain and only receive the basic UK State Pensions... :?:

I've conducted a short survey aided by some friends in this category, ( at great expense to myself, I might add, as I had to buy an extra round of drinks ) :shock:

I'm not going to release the results of my survey until after I've hopefully received some sensible answers from the more intelligent members of the forum, that of course must mean all members... :oops:

So please add your comments here or forward them to me on the back of a 10 euro note.. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby Julie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 am

I imagine if one had too they could (no mortgage), but I am pleased that is not something we have to worry about, and I only wish it was the same for all people who have worked all their lives.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Does this question need to take into account the location & type of property owned ie if they live in a village/town where shops et al are easily available and they dont need to own a car and are living in a modest house/flat... then expenses are obviously less ...?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Honestly Beni...NO! I really,really don't think they could. My State Pension is €500+ per 4 weeks. If you didn't have a car, rent, rates, never went anywhere, then 125 euros a week would suffice...but is that living in retirement or, simply as you say, just surviving? Not in the long term for anyone I think.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm

If you owned the house, no urbanisation or ground rent etc I would say it is possible, we are early retiree's living on OH work pension, we are not rich, but lucky to be able to retire early. When the state pensions kick in life will be really great :thumbup:
So, yes, it is possible, but do not expect to live the high life if you only have the state pension!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:08 pm

For day to day living costs, assuming you don't want to eat out every day, you can probably manage, but there would be no chance of life's luxuries. The problem comes with "extra" expenses, particularly if you are running a car. I know a couple who are trying to do this, but worry all the time about whether the car is going to survive, and what they will do when something happens to one of them. It's not a position I would like to be in. There again, without claiming benefits, it would be more difficult in UK.
AlisonB

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:46 pm

The fact is that anyone on basic pension in the UK can get pension credit which tops up their pension to £220 per week, pays all their rent and council tax. These extra benefits cannot be claimed overseas so no comparison as no-one in the UK has to live on basic state pension. At least olive has some light at the end off the tunnel but anyone not in that position the only way is down :(

The only way it would be doable is to sell eg. a £800,000 house in the uk and buy a €400,000 in Spain and draw down whilst keeping your fingers crossed it won't run out.

Just a thought, one person of a couple dying would bust the entire project!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:55 pm

I think it would be possible, but it depends on the set-up to start with — as previous posters have mentioned. People with no mortgage, no electric or water bills (solar power and bore hole), with garden for veggies, near a good shopping town probably could survive. The tricky bit comes with capital expenses — car going wrong, solar batteries need replacing, fridge blowing up, etc. With no savings to back it up, a basic pension might be all right today but there must be a vague worry as to the future.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 pm

I have been living here on a British State Pension for the last seven years. I wasn't expecting to have to do it but the company that I gave my money to so that I would have an additional private pension spent it on bonuses to their executives instead and left hardly anything for me. I thought that the end of the world had come at the time, but I have survived very nicely. I don't have a mortgage and I don't have a car, but I have everything I need.

I live out in the sticks on the edge of a small village. We have a couple of shops and a weekly market. I help my neighbours in their huerta and they supply me with vegetables. I grow salad crops, herbs and pretty flowers in my garden, and I have orange and lemon trees. I seldom see other British people but I have the best friends and neighbours in the world, I give free English lessons to anyone who wants them and get lots of nice presents in exchange; I go to the local (free) adult education classes every weekday afternoon, which improves my Spanish, my general knowledge and is good fun; that keeps me very involved in all the ancilliary activities that go on; while I'm there I help two ladies with poor literacy skills to practice their reading so I am doing something useful in exchange; I go to keep-fit classes in the village twice a week and dancing class once a week. I also belong to the neighbours association so I get involved in their activities too. I live in beautiful surroundings, in wonderful walking country, I have a great social life.

Of course I have problems. Of course every day isn't wall-to-wall sunshine, but taken overall I reckon I am one of the luckiest people in the world.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Well ....very interesting replies so far, really good 'down to earth' answers from the A.Com panel ..

I deliberately didn't specify areas or types of property or if car owners etc, because I think it actually gives more honest and helpful replies, circumstances differ so much for everyone, so the end result of our little survey could only be used as a guide for newcomers or perhaps assist residents in making important decisions on whether it would be viable to leave or continue to live in Spain.

I think everyone would be interested to hear more answers and advice about the question, so please give some input, it would also be of interest to hear from younger people about how they think pensioners will get on here in Spain with basic amounts to live on.

I will add the results of my little survey later.

Have a Good Evening,
Regards,
Gordon.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Mariacristina, I love your reply and it's so encouraging to know it's possible to solely live on the state pension. We have just this week had the unexpected happen and are 300 euros poorer than we were this time last week.

OH's spread sheets show no problem in us living on the state pension quite comfortably (we are both low maintenance :D ) but the 'unexpected' is a worry. Really though, it's still too early for us to say 100% we CAN manage - we've been coming and going to and from the U.K. so much which is skewing our calculations...........ask me again in another year Gordon by which time our meagre retirement 'pot' will be empty and the unexpected type of expense will no doubt worry me silly.........or we might be forced to sell up, go back to the U.K. and claim benefits. Gloom :cry:
Last edited by IreneD on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Is it any worse for a UK pensioner on basic pension than it is for a Spanish OAP over there?

Does the UK OAP simply want/expect more than the average Spaniard would?...........I don't know, just asking.
Last edited by Devils Advocate on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Does the answer to the question depend on when an OAP moved (or will move) to Spain?
I'm thinking about how health care provision for "foreigners" is changing and whether those people who got into the system in the past could still expect the same if they came out to Spain in the future.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:48 pm

What a positive reply, Mariacristina. Your life sounds quite idyllic to me and you have found, in your village, the quality-of- life-things that money cannot buy - the friendship that comes through involvement with other nice people. Apart from looking at the basics of living on a pension there is also that weird word 'expectations' and the question 'What do I need to make me happy?" My happiest days are spent walking the dog, talking to my OH, writing, reading, doing not-a-lot and days go past without spending a single centimo. I don't know if I could live on a state pension or not but twenty years ago I lived on a student grant of £2500 a year. I did that for three years. It seemed impossible at the start but I did it - and lived reasonably well.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Well Irene now you mention it 3 or 4 flights a year would knock a hole in a £110 per week pension...even on ryanair :D A couple of new tyres and a service for the car and you are ********d :lolno:

PS. the lemon trees won't save you if there is no gin to put them in :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:17 pm

We used to waste so much food, now I am a much better shopper, not because of money- but because of the amount of food we wasted, it was dreadful throwing so much away.
Now we try to eat healthily, I always buy fresh ingredients (except from frozen fruit from Lidl today, first time I have seen raspberries in the shops) I have gone down a dress size (had to buy new clothes :thumbup: ) and feel much healthier for it!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Well I'd look upon a state pension as a lottery win ! :thumbup: Our total outgoings , electric ,gas, water ( including rubbish payment ), irrigation water, internet, car insurance,car tax, itv,ibi, house insurance , etc; everything except diesel, food & fags , varies between 50 & 60€/week. Always has done. I know the electric has gone up but I've reduced the consumption by 40% .
That's approx; 200-250€/month .
Food , we don't spend much. The cost of diesel is the greatest expense.
Assuming there's a pension left when/if we get there we'll be happy.
Todos somos Lorca.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Thank you everyone for giving such open and thought provoking sentiments.

I am so pleased that absolutely everyone who has responded has been thoughtful with their responses and still managed a little light humour, ...Great...if I could take you all down to the pub for a beer...then I would. :thumbup:

Now , with regard to my little survey with my friends , basically you've all said the same and more.
Two of my friends do only receive basic pensions and don't have any savings left, but they both feel that they will survive and many of the things that they have changed in their life styles have actually been beneficial to them.
Owning a car seemed to be the biggest issue and they even talked about sharing a car, 3 days each and 1 day all 4 going out somewhere, quite a sensible approach , I thought.

I think that most people will sit down and try to make the most of what they have, and that's not a bad thing, it really does make you appreciate what is around you and actually opens your eyes to how other people manage when tough times happen.
And I do appreciate the opinions of members who are not of pension age, and I do know how hard it is to manage without a regular income, so I take my hat off to those who are doing what they can to get by, and they should always have hope ,because things will get better, I'm sure.

Many thanks for all of your responses and please don't stop with your input, it really helps many people.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by BENIDORM on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 pm

katy wrote:Well Irene now you mention it 3 or 4 flights a year would knock a hole in a £110 per week pension...even on ryanair :D A couple of new tyres and a service for the car and you are ********d :lolno:

PS. the lemon trees won't save you if there is no gin to put them in :lol:
Katy, our flights come out of our retirement 'pot' - I reckon the family will have to come out to us pretty soon if they want to see us again :D Edit: They do come over, of course - some coming in a couple of weeks! Yaaaaaay! :thumbup:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Last year we had visitors every month except one, that is what pushes up the expenses! This year it has been quiet :lol: