Finding the right placeHi

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Finding the right placeHi

Postby Spartacus » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14 am

Hi to all, this is my first post yet I feel I already know some of the regulars as I've spent a few weeks reading past posts trying to gather knowledge. I am coming out to Spain in August for an initial recce. Our aim is to try and find a village or town where we can then try to get a winter rental for 3-4 months. The winter rental is to spend some proper time deciding on the village / town / area we want to settle in and purchase. I was hoping to get a steer from some of you in order that I can make best use of the August recce week. I am looking at Southern Spain, Coasta del Sol or there abouts. Whilst I dont want to be in one of the tourist towns I also dont want to be so far inland that we feel isolated and cold in winter. I'm used to small village living in Scotland and ideally would like a small village with at least a few basic shops and not much more yet be a reasonable reachable distance from the coast (30 mins). I think we would be happier in a predominantly Spanish occupied village, certainly I dont want a mini Britain village or town. Thats no disrespect to those who like them but I suppose we kind of tend to keep ourselves to ourselves anyway. So, all suggestions welcome and I will hopefully compile my short list. The short list will let me try to find a central spot for our August week. Many thanks.

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Finding the right placeHi

Postby Free at Last » Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

My suggestions (and I'm sure you'll get lots more) would be Benamocarra, Algarrobo Pueblo or Frigiliana. All villages only a short distance from the coast and from larger towns for shopping, etc. (Velez-Malaga for the first two, or Nerja for the third). There are more foreign residents in Frigiliana than the other two, hence property prices are higher there, but it's still very nice. It has a mixture of nationalities rather than one "dominating".

It's a good idea to rent during the winter so you can see what places are like when the sun may not be shining and the nights are cold!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed May 14, 2014 4:52 pm

I'd throw Torrox Pueblo into that mix, more Spanish than Frigi and nearer to the coast and access to soon to be five supermarkets in competition.

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Almuñécar ....... a bit further along the coast (Costa Tropical). Very 'Spanish'.

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Sat May 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Big thank you to those that replied. I have a starting point :thumbup: Any more suggestions still welcome.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat May 17, 2014 7:55 pm

littleeak wrote:Almuñécar ....... a bit further along the coast (Costa Tropical). Very 'Spanish'.
I too like Almuñecar but's hardly what the OP is looking for!
... ideally would like a small village with at least a few basic shops and not much more yet be a reasonable reachable distance from the coast (30 mins).
I would say that Almuñecar is a large town with numerous supermarkets. The coast is certailnly reachable as it's ON the coast!

If you want REALLY Spanish and about 30 mins to the coast in a small village with only a few shops, try Cútar.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm

They said they didn't want a mini Britain which rules out a few of the above. What about the Costa de la Luz :idea:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat May 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, Spartacus. Maybe you'd like Canillas de Aceituno? Very Spanish, a few shops, restaurants and bars but only about 3,000 inhabitants so not large. It is about 30 minutes to the coast.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun May 18, 2014 10:35 am

I think the only way you will find what you desire is by making a visit and spending some time travelling around. At the end of the day, you are the only ones who know what you really want. I wouldn't recommend doing that in August unless you are really a glutton for trekking around in very high temperatures. August is also the time when lots of places away from the tourist meccas, close down.

When we did this 10 years ago, we fixed our criteria for our purchase which were - within a max of one hour from Malaga city and the airport; not in the midst of tourists; reasonable shopping facilities and a supply of mains electricity, landline telephone and, of course mains water. We based the latter on the fact that we would not live in the UK without such facilities so why do so in Spain! We managed to achieve all of these by being 40kms inland slightly to the west of Malaga, in a town (pop 11,000) with a train line into the city and coast (an alternative to having to always drive). That said, ten years later I think we were rather too prescriptive in regards to not wanting to be in the midst of tourists because that rather "forced" us inland. With hindsight I don't think being on the coast would have been as bad as we thought. It would certainly have been cooler in the summer.

Finally, regarding not being in a "mini British" town/village, you don't have to immerse yourselves in that scene any more than you would if you lived in the UK. However, immersing yourselves in a wholly Spanish group is not as easy as you might wish, especially if you are not fluent in the language. In my experience the Spanish value their family first and foremost and penetrating that is not easy.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Good points masterbob. We bought our first studio in Nerja in 1987. After a while we realised it was fine for holidays but not practical if we ever decided to come out here full time. We also found Nerja a bit claustrophobic in the summer. We moved inland to Frigiliana in 1989 to a large village house. Great for when family came but now it's too large for two people. Had we sold in 2004 / 2005 (as was our intention), we would have gone for a cortijo. We've now decided against that and are considering back on the coast.

In short ... rent!
Dave

lennylou
Tourist

Postby lennylou » Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 am

What about Maro quiet Spanish village. Good bus service to Nerja and beyond to Malaga. Local village stores and bars. They have their own fiestas and there are some fabulous walks in this area too. There is a popular beach if you manage the hill back up. On the coast but does not get over run with tourists except the visitors to the Caves of Nerja which is out of the village. Parking your car is not a problem as it is in Nerja.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue May 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Maro is a favourite of ours although its not cheap and theres not much property around. we like benamocarra aswell. unfortunatly as we have found alot of areas are like being stuck in an episode of gavin and stacey. if i wanted that i would have moved to essex

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 pm

elusive wrote:Maro is a favourite of ours although its not cheap and theres not much property around. we like benamocarra aswell. unfortunatly as we have found alot of areas are like being stuck in an episode of gavin and stacey. if i wanted that i would have moved to essex
Nothing at all wrong with Essex...........if you find the right place :think:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed May 21, 2014 10:52 am

SSSSch Kathy ... the Costa De Luz is deliberately kept secret as its practically unspoilt and certainly very Spanish, You could consider places like Verjer, conil, barbate along the coast or Arcos, Jerez, Medinia Sedonia inland

It will be rare to hear any English, so you will certainly need a little Spanish for sure - and it does get very hot July and August. There are good flights into Gibraltar, Jerez and Seville by Monarch , Easy Jet, and Ryanair

But Keep it to yourself !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

We were tempted by the Costa de la Luz and went on a two week recce. Way too windy for me. Beaches come with free exfoliance. Also didn't like the wind turbines. Or the hippy culture as I'm too old for nudist beaches and crystal shops. However, some of the pueblos were charming and the fish in Barbate was excellent.

Alcalaina
Tourist

Postby Alcalaina » Sun May 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Lavanda, I had to look up exfoliance and apparently it's a kind of French skin cream. I've never managed to find any on La Barrosa but will look harder next time as I'm always up for free samples!

Seriously though, go north up the coast a bit and there are plenty of little coves and places to get out of the wind. It only blows for a few days each month anyway, and hardly at all during the winter months. The hippies stay around Tarifa and Caños de Meca, you won't find many in Chiclana or El Puerto de Santa Maria. Just beautiful clean golden sand beaches, miles of empty space and none of the algae and jellyfish problems you get in the Med.

The pueblos inland are very good value. You can rent a 3-bed village house for less than €400 a month, and you will be made very welcome by the locals especially if you use the local shops and bars. As Martin says, you will need to speak a bit of Spanish, though Medina and Vejer have sizable English-speaking communities.

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Well our recce week went great and all too quickly. We did a lot of driving around for 5 days covering pretty much all the areas recommended. In the end we have settled for Frigiliana or the immediate surrounding area. For us it seems really peaceful yet close enough to Nerja and the coast for when we need it. Huge thank you to all that made suggestions. Our place is now on the market and I'm pleased to say were getting viewings so fingers crossed. Got a copy of the street wise local mag in Nerja so will contact the estate agents in the Nerja area. My next trip will now be to view properties. Thanks again folks. :clap:

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi
All the usual suspects are listed here. Why not consider Sevilla province, we live near two towns/villages both have supermarkets, here is an Aldi and Lidle nearby and the best bit the city of Sevilla only 30 mins away an absolute dream in the evenings.
We used to live near Nerja etc, but now we are here, make your own mind up.

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 am

Try Lebrija in Sevilla province. It is a lovely working town with lots of tradition, a railway station and a hospital nearing completion. Just 20 minutes from Jerez and 50 minutes from Seville and beaches a 35 minute drive away. Has most things you need for a happy, healthy life.