RENTAL SITES

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

RENTAL SITES

Postby bbobandannie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:58 am

I'm currently researching a long term move to the Frigiliana area, with the plan to rent long term, a and as a result I currently spend a lot of time looking at the long term rental sites trying to gauge availability and prices. However, from this site and other sources I am getting the impression that there are a lot of instances where the sites are massively out of date and that the majority of the advertised properties are in fact no longer available. Is this the case? Who are the more reliable advertisers?

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: RENTAL SITES

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 am

In my experience there are three kinds of individual especially in Spain who are NOT reliable, Lawyers, City Mayors and real estate agents !!
It's true that most of the estate agents keep properties on their books long after they've gone in order to make it look as though they have many more properties than they actually have therefore making them look more prosperous and popular.
The only sensible answer to your question is to make direct contact with them by phone or email, I've found this the most reliable method.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:43 pm

I have rented a property on the Torrox / Frigliana road and I trawled the internet for months. When I came over to view several properties, I was extremely frustrated by unprofessional estate agents and their attitude to customer service. I had a specific list of requirements and most of the estate agents tried to fob me off and drag me round places which were entirely unsuitable. One guy turned up on a motor bike! Just wasting my precious time.

Here is someone who is really on the ball. Alison at APP in Torrox. She is an English lady who speaks fluent Spanish and seems to know everyone. She showed me several properties which were not advertised anywhere else. All would have suited me. I rented on the spot and she helped me with my NIE and bank account. Also my Spanish Padron. She really seems to care about her business and I feel very grateful as she looked after me during the whole process. I have found a brilliant property. Just what I wanted.

There is another Spanish girl in Torrox Pueblo who was good. The rest were complete time wasters. The properties have been on their websites for ages and are not available when you enquire. Or as I found out, to my huge irritation, when you turn up to meet these people, they take you to entirely unsuitable places way out from where you want to be. I wasted two days with the like.

Good luck with your search :D
Last edited by Buffy on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:13 pm

The majority of small Agents don't have many properties on their books. Some buy lists or steal listings from other websites. When they attract a punter they then approach the valid Agent and negotiate a commission, usually 1 or 2%. That is why many have put of date info'.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Visit the village and ask around the bars and shops. Loads of propeties to rent and you cut out the middle-man. Perhaps if you mentioned what you are looking for, someone may be able to help.
Dave

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Not wishing to argue but the 'middle man' is what saved me time and money and ultimately got me what I wanted. No charges to pay for this service

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 pm

When visitors walk up my street and ask what's for rent, I can usually point them in the direcrion of 2 or 3 houses. No commission from mowser either.
ps .. you wouldn't pay any charges - the owner of the property does. If you go direct to an owner, he or she won't ask as much, as the middle man (or woman) takes his/her cut.
Dave

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Now I have to disagree as I was told by a few estate agents that I would have to pay a month's deposit and a month's rent to them for finding the property. As for the rent being lower if there is no estate agent involved; could be, I expect.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Buffy. I suppose all agents are different. Down here, the agents takes one month rent from the owner for finding a renter.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:14 pm

They do in Marbella too.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:37 pm

If you mean Frigiliana by 'down here' then I beg to differ as that is where I was looking for a house to rent last month. I was told by a few estate agents that their fee from me was a month's rent. Separate from deposit. That's my experience. App did not take a fee.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:19 pm

That is because the owner paid the fee. Agents don't show houses for the fun of it. My point is quite simple. Houses in my street rent out for between 400 and 500 euros depending on size. I got 2 renters in for 300 and 400. Most agents here are registered and pass on details to authorities. If I find a renter it's up to the owner to declare for tax. It is none of my business if he doesn't. Hope that's cleared up.
Dave

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm

Clear as mud. Who was talking about tax? I am simply stating what estate agents told me when I asked what their terms were. Some just wanted a deposit and others wanted a fee from me and a deposit. I can't make it much clearer than that. Perhaps they are taking fees from the landlords and the tenants? Why would some ask for a fee from me and others not? I'm sure you will want the last word on this. Although we have gone off topic now

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Just my experiences last month in Torrox / Frigiliana

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:11 am

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Dave

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:14 am

Guys

Lets not fall out, it seems everyone has had mixed experiences but I appreciate the info everyone is giving. another question, how long in advance would a landlord accept a booking for. For example, if wanting to start renting in November, would an offer be accepted, with a suitable deposit, as early as July. I ask because I don't want to leave it to the last minute. Thanks in advance.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 am

I will pm you. I don't like the antagonism

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm

I've never rented but it seems that some estate agents charge the owner a fee for finding a renter. Some charge the renter for finding them a property.
I wouldn't be surprised if some charge both the owner and the renter. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Edited for spellin :wave:
Last edited by gerryh on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Correct Gerry. Normally here, if it's a long-term rent, the agent asks for a month's rent plus another month as a deposit. This deposit is returned if the property is left in a good state of repair.
Dave

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:48 pm

We found it very difficult finding properties. its great looking on the net but as others say properties are advertised as available when they arent and when you ask about when they may be available ie for eg the years rental is coming to an end they either dont have a clue because it was rented out via one of the other 20 agents in the area that have it on their books or they dont care to find out. they are only intrested in showing you what they have available there and then. very frustrating when you have seen several properties on the net that you like but when you enquire further you get no responce. wesites like villasol have large amounts of properties but they had no intrest in telling if and when these properties might be available

in our experience i think it does come down to a last min thing.as renters only have to give x amount notice before they leave (cant remember exact time sorry someone will) agents said to us not much point looking more than 8 weeks ahead of a move. we got lucky interms of the previous renters up sticked half way through their contract. And we saw the property shortly afterwards.we had to pay 2 months rent from saying we wanted it to secure it as we couldnt move over at a drop of the hat. renting our uk house out etc. but tbh i think the best thing is to come over a couple of months before a planned move and look at as much as u can and be prepared to pay to secure the property