Vehicle hire UK to Malaga

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Vehicle hire UK to Malaga

Postby Ennery » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi all,

I don't own a vehicle and I'm planning to move some personal possessions and work kit (computer etc) from the UK to Malaga in early spring. It amounts to no more than would fit into an estate car so rather than hiring a removals company I was thinking of hiring a car to make the trip myself with a friend who would fly back once done. We were envisaging an interesting 3 day road trip!

A quick search tells me that the likes of Avis, Hertz etc won't do international hire where you pick up in one country and drop off in another, however I have found that Hertz do have an option where they've a vehicle that needs to be 're-positioned' back to it's country of origin.
http://www.hertz-transfer.eu/index.php?lang=GB
However they state this service is not for private customers and besides, the choices are limited.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this trip might be possible?

alisonb
Resident

Re: Vehicle hire UK to Malaga

Postby alisonb » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 pm

I would be very surprised if anyone would do this, as they would end up with a car on 'wrong' plates ie UK registered car in Spain, which they would then have to get back to UK, which I assume is what Hertz are talking about. I've done one way hire in UK and most companies charge around £50 even if your pick up and drop off points are only 50 miles apart. If I were you, I would send belongings with one of the companies recommended on here. If you want to see the scenery on the way here, the train journey is relatively simple, although not cheap. http://www.seat61.com has lots of info.
AlisonB

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks Alison. I think what you suggest might be the way to go but I'll keep researching just in case.

There's a thread on here titled "Removals" which I've bookmarked. I'll get some quotes and what suits best.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:58 pm

There are one way self drive van hire companies that ive seen advertise in the local press

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Most insurance companies do not want you taking cars over boarders. We hired a car at Nice Airport and gave our hotel address in Menton which is the boarder town with Italy. 3 times we were told by hire co girl we were not insured to drive into Italy. Criminal offence and all that.

Cant find anything on hiring one way outside of original country of journey.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:35 pm

A quick Google search brought up https://www.way2gohire.com/home/
Don't know if they are reliable any good.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks again for the replies. The car hire firms seem to all be of one mind i.e. NOT across borders so I guess that's where the gap in the market is allowing Co.s like Way2Go to trade - thanks Gerry.

There's clearly been a spat between them and another in the past if you see this link:
http://www.bmceuropean.com/one-way-van-hire-spain-uk/

The onus is obviously on the customer to hire the appropriate vehicle and not overload it! I don't think what I plan to take would even half fill their smallest panel van and besides, if I can't lift it, I'm not taking it.
The question now is whether to do it myself or use a removal service. It'll come down to prices in the end.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:08 am

http://www.budget.co.uk/products-servic ... cover.html

There are others....perhaps you have not asked Google the right question?
Of course this does not answer the question of how to get the car back!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 pm

There are a few 'man with a van' people on here doing runs from the UK to Andalucía for full or part loads. https://www.facebook.com/RMGPS

This guy is going out 8Jan and coming back 15Jan ( but is full now for the return). Next one is Feb
You could use one of them and fly over yourself - it must be cheaper than what your trying to do.

The thing about one way hire .. is that the hire company ends up with a LHD vehicle in a RHD country

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 pm

peteroldracer wrote:http://www.budget.co.uk/products-servic ... cover.html

There are others....perhaps you have not asked Google the right question?
Of course this does not answer the question of how to get the car back!
I'm afraid your link throws up a 404 ... or was that irony?

Martin, I think I'm going in that direction. I've found a site:
http://www.anyvan.com that operates a reverse auction on your needs. So far I've received 6 quotes that all seem reasonable and as you say it leaves me to just take a flight out. It's early days yet so I'll weigh up the prices, their track record, feedback etc and make a decision nearer the time.

I'm doing a recce for apartments in Malaga (city) in January so hopefully will have a better idea of what I need to take out there.

Feliz Navidad a todos!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Ennery wrote:I'm afraid your link throws up a 404 ... or was that irony?
Try http://www.budget.co.uk/products-servic ... cover.html
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 pm

costakid wrote:Most insurance companies do not want you taking cars over boarders. We hired a car at Nice Airport and gave our hotel address in Menton which is the boarder town with Italy. 3 times we were told by hire co girl we were not insured to drive into Italy. Criminal offence and all that.

Cant find anything on hiring one way outside of original country of journey.
I had the same problem two years ago, we we're staying with some friends in Villefranche sur mer, we rented a car locally and when we mention we we thinking of going to Ventemiglia they said non. non.non !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:28 pm

We actually drove over the boarder into Ventimiglia. I had my company insurance policy with me which covers me for any car. If stopped I would have produced this and hoped for the best. I have full european cover for any car, may have been a grey area but nothing happened anyway.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Ennery

We had a similar problem with needing to move a small load over to our house near Granada. I would be very wary of any of the one-way van hire companies because of the enormous amount of negative feedback that some of them generate. Also, when I costed it out they were disproportionally expensive. Taking a hire car/any car is a very expensive business too. Not just the ferry cost, but the cabins, fuel, nightstops in hotels etc etc. It's a nice trip to do, very enjoyable, but also costly.

I found plenty of sensible quotes from UK companies for small/part-loads and they were much cheaper than any other method. So that is what we booked and it all arrived safely one sunny afternoon in a British truck carrying about ten different loads destined for all over Andalucia.

Good luck.

Regards

Barry

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks Barry,

Looks like it'll be between Anyvan.com and Shiply.com. Both have international courier / transport fellas bidding for jobs at reasonable prices. Glad to hear your arrangement went smoothly; fingers crossed for mine.

Off to Malaga next week for the initial recce to see what's available by way of apartment rental.

Ennery

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Bon voyage!