Crime in Zahara

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Leicaguy

Crime in Zahara

Postby Leicaguy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm

What is the situation with crime in Zahara? My wife and I are considering an extended stay but do not want to get into what we are experiencing here in Costa Rica.

We chose a very small community in Costa Rica to stay clear of crime. But after almost 3 years here if is getting worse buy the day. Mostly break-ins. Started small. Snatched items that had been left out and doors not locked. Then it escalated to doors being payed open, then Windows being smashed. Long story short, it is so bad now that gringos can't leave their houses unattended.

Here is the worse part of the whole situation. Ticos are all "pura vida". Non confrontational to a fault. So, no one will do anything about the problem even though the criminals are mostly known. Not even the police will help. This, of course, empowers the thieves to do as they please.

So my question is 2 fold. How previlant is robbery and burglaries? And probably more important, is such crime simply tolerated by the locals as a fact of life? We don't want to leave here only to get into the same environment.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

scotty
Resident

Re: Crime in Zahara

Postby scotty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Which Zahara ? De La Frontera ? De Los Atunes ?

Leicaguy

Re: Crime in Zahara

Postby Leicaguy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Sorry. De la Sierra