Apartment rent and agent fees

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
power
Tourist

Apartment rent and agent fees

Postby power » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi,

I'm a new user since me and my young family will be moving to Malaga next week. All countries have different agent fee rules when renting. How about Spain (Malaga), who is paying the agent fee? In Asia, the agent is getting 1 months fee paid by the landlord.

We have specific apartment requirements, so it's a bit frustrating to see how we aren't getting any replies from the agents. We have booked an Airbnb condo for the firsts nights to scout the areas and can visit ready apartments. We have found some through the long-term rents sites like idealista.com, but the agents seem to be too busy.

Thanks,
Daniel

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Apartment rent and agent fees

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:04 pm

What language are you enquiring in? Normally the agent takes a month as commission.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:45 pm

The agent should take the fees off the house owner. You should only be paying a security deposit normally one or two months rent upfront

power
Tourist

Postby power » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:37 am

Thanks for the fast replies, appreciate it.
costakid wrote:What language are you enquiring in? Normally the agent takes a month as commission.
Unfortunately, we don't know Spanish yet, but it's definitely a goal to integrate with learning the language as well. So I'm contacting the agents in English. Can you recommend any agency which offers English speaking agents?
elusive wrote:The agent should take the fees off the house owner. You should only be paying a security deposit normally one or two months rent upfront
Great, I'm happy to hear that.

Thanks again!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:47 am

Most agents in Malaga City will speak some English but it will not be like Fuengirola or Marbella where they all speak English. That may be why your not getting any replies. I would call into a few once your here or use google translate to write your email.

power
Tourist

Postby power » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will try to call them as soon as we arrive.

Last question, can any of you guys recommend a website to find apartments for long term rents in Malaga city center?

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Aquila Homes

power
Tourist

Postby power » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:32 pm

After been talking to 10+ different agents I can confirm that the agent fees are getting paid 100% by the tenant now.

In our point of view it's not fair for the work and yet still the agent is always focusing on the landlord instead of those who pay the bills.

We are still jumping around on quite expensive Airbnb apartments since the apartment market is very bad right now in Malaga.

If we knew about the Malaga festival and high season we would have been relaxing somewhere else and then move to Malaga after September.

Just a hint to people moving to Malaga :-)